cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

lukana1
Journeyman III

290 downclocking to 300MHz when it reaches 90C

Hey all, when stressing the GPU the core clock is stable, until the core temperature hits 90C, than the core clock will jump to 300MHz (P0?) and immediately go back up to the normal speed. This is really annoying because it causes stutters when in-game.

Computer Type: Custom build desktop

GPU: reference sapphire R9 290 at stock settings

CPU: 4670K @ 4.3GHz

Motherboard: MSI z97 Gaming 5

RAM: 1333/9 2*2 and 2*4

PSU: Corsiar RM850i

Operating System & Version: Windows 10

GPU Drivers: 18.1.1

Chipset Drivers: 10.1.1.9

Background Applications: steam, windows defender, onedrive, corsair utility engine, samsung magician, realtec HD audio, MSI afterburner, readeon-settings.

Troubleshooting: I already disabled ULPS in MSI afterburner, I also tried installing a custom bios. Neither have helped.

Here is a scheenshot describing the problem: https://imgur.com/a/8IROh

0 Likes
1 Solution

Use this setting....make sure to set the Power Limit all the way to the right > read AMD graphics performance

Do not change anything else...fans, etc. Leave everything else on that page at default (automatic)

View solution in original post

7 Replies

That's called thermal throttling and is perfectly normal. Clean your card and spin your fan faster.

0 Likes

I realized that it was thermal trotting, the problem is that the fan default fan curve in readeon settings isn't adjustable. Also why does it jump from P7 to P0? Why not to P6, than P5 etc. If I set my fan-speed to automatic, the speed sill barely changes.

0 Likes

What do you mean "not adjustable"? Set the target temperature to 85 and increase the max RPM.

0 Likes

That's the problem! I don't have these settings.

Screen Shot 01-28-18 at 05.43 PM.PNG

0 Likes

Use this setting....make sure to set the Power Limit all the way to the right > read AMD graphics performance

Do not change anything else...fans, etc. Leave everything else on that page at default (automatic)

Thanks! It seems like disabling ULPS did the trick, the temp stays around 74C without dropping the core speed at all. Is AMD aware of this problem? And is there an easy way to prevent this from happening at all? Because I don't feel like editing the register every time I update my drivers.

0 Likes

I do find it interesting that the problem comes back when changing the core clock, even if I raise the core clock with only 1 Mhz. Do you know why?

0 Likes