cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

joker2u
Adept I

I updated my drivers the other day and have since been plagued with BSOD. I get a Stopcode: System Thread Exception Not Handled along with Atikmdag.sys error. I used Display Driver Uninstaller and everything seemed fine only until I again was met with BSO

Hello Forum,

I updated my drivers the other day and have since been plagued with BSOD. I get a Stopcode: System Thread Exception Not Handled along with Atikmdag.sys error. I used Display Driver Uninstaller and everything seemed fine only until I again was met with BSOD. The crashes are intermittent and happen randomly. I am using Win10 x64 OS, Radeon HD 7700 version 17.12.2. Don't know what else to do I have uninstalled 3 times, ran the DDU each time and reinstalled and still problem exist.

0 Likes
7 Replies

Need to post Make & Model of Motherboard, PSU, CPU/APU, and whether it is a Laptop or Desktop. INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION

Found this useful link concerning your error: http://www.troublefixers.org/laptops/fix-system-thread-exception-not-handled-in-windows-10/590/

Try downgrading your AMD driver to a older version and see if it starts working correctly.

Note: I hate JIVE

rakion99
Adept I

• AMD HD 7770 1GB
  • Desktop System
  • Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 16299)
  • Driver version installed: Adrenalin Edition 18.1.1
  • Display Device
    • AOC LCD 1619SW 1366x768 @60hz DVi-I to VGA adapter
  • Motherboard + Bios Revision
    • ECS MCP61M-M3 Bios Version 2.6
  • CPU/APU
    • AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 445 Processor (3 CPUs), ~3.1GHz
  • Power Supply Unit
    • True Basix TB-05003 480W
  • RAM: 4GB

i have the same issue since  Adrenalin Edition 17.12.1, first was only BSOD with chrome and others browsers, but after a day or two was random crashing while playing, idle or using a browser with the same BSOD System Thread Exception Not Handled with Atikmdag.sys.

The only fix that worked was downgrading to Radeon Software Crimson Edition 17.11.1.

i haven't seen others having this problem maybe it's only with AMD HD 7700 series?

Adrenalin Edition 18.1.1

try turning off "Hardware Acceleration" in your browsers. That seems to help with many browser problems.

If everything works correctly with the older driver. Stay with that driver until a newer AMD Driver comes out. If you updated because a game required it, then try to go the game's Support site to see if they have any updated latest patches if not wait until a more stable AMD driver comes out.

0 Likes

that will work when using any browser but sadly still will crash with other stuff so yes it's better to downgrade to a working driver like i did and wait till AMD fix it

0 Likes

Hey I appreciate you taking the time to get back with me - for anybody that has.

Ok, still have the same issue. I removed Adrenalin and reinstalled Crimson with no better luck. The date of this driver that gives me the problems was dated 12-7-2017 I believe. I have tried blowing it out of the registry - no luck...I don't have the permission to. So, I attempted modifying the permissions since I am the only Admin User- will not let me no matter how nice I ask. Tried it in Safe Mode as well and it has short of told me to piss-off. Who said a hammer can't fix everything...lol Oh and here is the Scan Result from ( WhoCrashed). What I don't get is- I can delete other sys files- so why in the hell won't this one disappear?

Computer name: VIRUSHUNTER-PC
Windows version: Windows 10 , 10.0, build: 16299
Windows dir: C:\WINDOWS
Hardware: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., M5A99FX PRO R2.0
CPU: AuthenticAMD AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 840 Processor AMD586, level: 16
4 logical processors, active mask: 15
RAM: 4206366720 bytes total

Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

Crash dump directories:

C:\WINDOWS

C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

C:\WINDOWS\LiveKernelReports

On Fri 1/26/2018 10:59:29 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\012618-36906-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: atikmdag.sys (0xFFFFF80E9D6D7460)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF80E9D6D7460, 0xFFFFF28A15EAE568, 0xFFFFF28A15EADDB0)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\c0321058.inf_amd64_c0aa1a2b512afe19\atikmdag.sys
product: ATI Radeon Family
company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
description: ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmdag.sys (ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).
Google query: atikmdag.sys Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

On Fri 1/26/2018 10:59:29 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: atikmdag.sys (0xFFFFF80E9D6D7460)
Bugcheck code: 0x7E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF80E9D6D7460, 0xFFFFF28A15EAE568, 0xFFFFF28A15EADDB0)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
file path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\c0321058.inf_amd64_c0aa1a2b512afe19\atikmdag.sys
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a system thread generated an exception that the error handler did not catch.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmdag.sys (ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).
Google query: atikmdag.sys Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

On Fri 1/26/2018 5:20:51 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\012618-36281-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: atikmdag.sys (0xFFFFF800D4A57460)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF800D4A57460, 0xFFFF8202C62B5568, 0xFFFF8202C62B4DB0)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
Google query: atikmdag.sys Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

Conclusion

3 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. A third party driver has been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

atikmdag.sys (ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.)

If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination with the errors that have been reported for these drivers. Include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions on the web by users who have been experiencing similar problems.

0 Likes
rakion99
Adept I

sadly in the latest driver Adrenalin Edition 18.2.1 this still happen in any AMD HD 7770, tested with 2 friends that have the same gpu and get the same crash System Thread Exception Not Handled with Atikmdag.sys.

The only "fix" that worked was downgrading to Radeon Software Crimson Edition 17.11.1.

i want/need that amd link feature but since these crashes started with Adrenalin Edition version of Radeon Software (version 17.12) i can't test that new feature

Can also confirm that as soon as i updated to the newest adrenalin edition drivers (R5 1600 on Win7 x64) i was plagued by literally daily BSOD's, sometimes multiple ones per day - In my case though i got constant pci.sys/IRQL bluescreens, so definitely and 100% driver-related.

Tried a soft rollback to the previous driver and the BSOD's persisted nonetheless so i then completely uninstalled Adrenalin and all associated software, switched to the latest ReLive edition 17.11.4 drivers from November 2017 and haven't had a single pci.sys BSOD since. Games and everything else also seem to run a lot smoother now, and the Radeon settings control panel also seems a helluva lot more responsive.

0 Likes