cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

gdemonax
Journeyman III

What graphics card(s) do I need to run this multi-monitor setup?

Hello, new to the forums. And I don't forum much in general. I was looking for an answer, but everything is specific to individual build and intended use that it makes it hard to find what I am looking for for me.

I am running an LG 34UM64-P, a 34 inch ultrawide monitor. I have a secondary display, which is an LG 29 inch ultrawide monitor. I am presently using an R7 370 4 GB GPU.

The LG 34 and 29 are 2560x1080. I use the 34 as my main monitor for gaming, the 29 is for browsing and productivity, and googling when I am gaming.

I want to move the 29 inch ultrawide above the 34 inch ultrawide, and then put an LG 27MP59G (1920x1080) on either side of the 34 inch ultrawide. The 27/34/27 inch trio would be for gaming, and I would put it on eyefinity, with the above 29 inch for googling and such while in game.

Can an RX 580 8 GB card handle that? Would I need more than one and crossfire them?

My primary games are Mechwarrior online and Star trek online. I also play Planetside 2 and PUBG from time to time, and a whole host of other types of games here and there. I like to have the graphics settings on high and above when possible.

The more I look into graphics cards, the more it appears to be a science of its own.

Anyone have any answers?

0 Likes
3 Replies

The RX 580 can handle 3 monitors yes, but can it handle gaming at those resolutions with decent details, especially a very unoptimized PUBG? No.

0 Likes

Zion, thanks.

So whats my solution? Crossfire two rx 580s? Follow a rainbow to its end and find a Vega or an R9 Fury? What hardware is going to get me the end result?

0 Likes

Well you can look at it this way. If you have 4 monitors at 1080p or better you are essentially looking at similar requirements to 4k gaming or even 5k with the overhead of displaying on different monitors. Then you factor in that many times using different model monitors set up in eyefinity can add even more issues if they don't use the same refresh rates and/or resolutions. So you can pretty much figure you need the fastest single gpu solution available and even then whether or not that is good enough is really up to your opinion. At that point you can add a second GPU but that comes with it's own caveats too.

Good Luck!

0 Likes