Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

kailido
Journeyman III

AMD driver keeps being replaced by old Microsoft driver

Hello

I have a laptop with AMD R7 M260 and I'm having issues with the AMD drivers, as it is constantly being replaced with an old driver back from 2015. I believe that it is Windows that is doing it, because there's nothing else in this laptop (Toshiba L50) that allows to update drivers without confirmation. I could just disable automatic updates but i don't want the hassle of manual updating the system everytime.

I also wouldn't be complaining about it if the driver that it installs was good, because it isn't, it doesn't even work because i think it is not correctly installed. I believe it doesn't unninstall the one it had. I could just make a clean install of that old driver. I've tried that but as i said, the driver is bad, it preforms poorly in illustrator because it randomly crashes.

I've also tried to disable driver updates on windows update but i think somehow it didn't work. I used a tool called DDU (display driver unninstaller) to do it. This tool is perfectly safe

I would use the driver from the laptop page in Toshiba's website, but there's none for Windows 10

Disabling Driver Update on Windows doesn't help too. I've checked it since the last time i installed the latest version. Even in registry it is set to 0

Any help is apreciated

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Its a Toshiba L50-B-2FT, and it is perfectly compatible with Windows 10. The toshiba website has drivers for Windows 10, just not display drivers.

It came with windows 8 but i have done a clean install of windows 10

It is not an APU, The CPU is intel

Everything else is up to date

I actually found the problem, The registry key that control drivers from windows update sets itself to 0 when replacing drivers (somehow). I set it to 3 and now there's no issues, but thanks for the tip, it was useful

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Need to post your exact Make & Model of Laptop, CPU/APU, and both Internal and Discrete GPU card.

What version of Windows did your laptop come installed with when you first bought it. Did you upgrade to Windows 10 and what version of Windows 10?  Normally, if the manufacturer of the Laptop doesn't have drivers for the Windows you have installed. It probably suggests that your Laptop may not be compatible to run Windows 10. You should contact Toshiba to be sure your laptop is advanced enough to run Windows 10.

Also when you download the AMD generic Laptop drivers and your laptop has a APU installed, you must download the drivers for the APU rather than for the GPU cards. The APU drivers will install drivers for the GPU. From AMD Forum: Laptop graphics update...How to  and How to Configure Laptop Switchable Graphics  (if applicable).

Make sure your Laptop has the latest BIOS and Chipset installed. Plus Windows is fully updated via Windows Update.

I found out the best way to prevent Windows Update from installing drivers is by changing the Group Policy. This will prevent any old drivers from being updated but you will still have the normal Windows Update for security and Options. you can google on how to change Group Policy for Windows Updating drivers.

Its a Toshiba L50-B-2FT, and it is perfectly compatible with Windows 10. The toshiba website has drivers for Windows 10, just not display drivers.

It came with windows 8 but i have done a clean install of windows 10

It is not an APU, The CPU is intel

Everything else is up to date

I actually found the problem, The registry key that control drivers from windows update sets itself to 0 when replacing drivers (somehow). I set it to 3 and now there's no issues, but thanks for the tip, it was useful

What key is that out of interest?

0 Likes