cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

hunter86_bg
Adept I

Is there a subscribe list for microcode updates for Spectre Vulnerability variant#2

Hello Community,

I have a question related to the newly found Spectre vulnerability.

As per the following article, the Ryzen and EPIC CPUs will receive the microcode update first. Is there a subscribe list , where I can subscribe for notification , once my CPU's microcode is being released ?

I'm asking this question as my system is AM3+ based and I do not expect that the vendor will provide a new bios.

Best Regards,

Strahil

0 Likes
6 Replies

All updates will be issued by your motherboard manufacturer as a new BIOS update. Your question would be best directed at them.

0 Likes

After contacting Asrock, I have received the following update:

Dear Customer,

Thanks for contacting ASRock!

So far we did not get the information form AMD.

Once getting the further information, we will update on the Web Site.

Best Regards,

ASRock TSD

It seems that everything is in the hands of AMD.

Which is bullflop. AMD started releasing them to the board partners over a week ago for Ryzen processors AMD processors will get a firmware update for the Spectre CPU exploit, but it's optional | PCWorld

AMD will release firmware updates for its processors to protect against the devastating Spectre CPU exploits that affect every modern computer, phone, and tablet. Unlike Intel’s flurry of CPU firmware updates, however, they aren’t being treated as critical must-install patches.

When Meltdown and Spectre were uncovered, AMD said that its CPUs aren’t vulnerable to Meltdown, the first Spectre flaw would be resolved via operating system and software updates, and “differences in AMD architecture mean there is a near zero risk of exploitation” of the Spectre second variant. Nevertheless, while AMD CTO Mark Papermaster says “we believe that AMD’s processor architectures make it difficult to exploit Variant 2,” AMD now plans to patch its CPUs against it.

AMD will start releasing “optional" microcode updates” (emphasis ours) for Ryzen, Threadripper, and Epyc processors to its partners this week, with firmware updates for older processors coming in the future. Like the Intel firmware updates, you won’t get AMD’s directly from AMD itself. Instead, you’ll need to download them from the maker of your PC, laptop, or motherboard through their support pages.

0 Likes

Yeah, but as far as I know AMD are releasing micocode updates by the year of production , starting with newest CPUs first.

As I have an AMD FX-8350 which is old by design (despite the fact that I bought it less than an year ago), the microcode should be released later in time.

i really dislike the idea to get my microcode through the hardware vendor , as if Asrock decide not to provide it - I'm not able to secure my Linux Workstation at all.

0 Likes
hunter86_bg
Adept I

Does anyone know if the FX-8350 microcode update is available ?

0 Likes

Check with your motherboard manufacture .

"Like the Intel firmware updates, you won’t get AMD’s directly from AMD itself. Instead, you’ll need to download them from the maker of your PC, laptop, or motherboard through their support pages.

0 Likes