cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

sticko
Adept I

Low fps after new gpu

Hello, i upgraded yesterday from R7 240 to RX 550 and for some reason i am having huge fps drops in games... haven't really seen big fps diffrence but im seeing fps drops, i did completely unistalled old drivers and installed new ones. My hdmi vga adapter is plugged into GPU, not motherboard. I dont know what do to... i really need help.
- AMD FX 4320
- AMD Radeon RX 550

- 8 GB RAM DDR3 1600 MHz

0 Likes
18 Replies
Ray_AMD
Community Manager

Please provide the essential INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION  with your question.

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.150202-1526)

Processor: AMD FX(tm)-4320 Quad-Core Processor             (4 CPUs), ~4.0GHz

Memory: 8192MB RAM

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Card name: Radeon RX 550 Series

Dedicated Memory: 1991 MB

Shared Memory: 3831 MB

Current Mode: 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (75Hz)

Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor

Monitor Model: SyncMaster

Monitor Id: SAM02AD

Native Mode: 1440 x 900(p) (59.887Hz)

Output Type: HDMI

0 Likes

Sounds like the Power Limit is at default > AMD graphics performance

Kingfish has you on the right track I think! You sound like somebody who might need a little help on what and where this power limit thing is. Open Radeon Settings Click on the Gaming Tab Click Global Settings Click Global Wattman, which is directly to the right of Global Graphics, it's the center tab currently. Then down below the fan settings slide the slider for the for power limit to the right to it's maximum setting this may be +20 or +50 depending on make and model of the card. If this doesn't fix things just reply back with more system details and hopefully someone can get you going from there. Good luck and happy gaming!

Hey, thank you for trying to help me! Power limit was at " 0 " if i drag it to the right to its maximum its 75 power limit (%)  that's maximum, cant go any futher, will this help me with fps and will this make my gpu heat more ? Thanks alot for help tho!

0 Likes

More power is always going to add more heat. The question is how much. Typically those sliders in wattman not like the ones in afftermarket tweakers are within the normal operating range of the card and shouldn't add too much heat. You can always use a custom fan profile to turn on the fans earlier and run them faster if needed too.  I think in your case I would set it at 50 and see what happens you can always go to 75 and try again from there. If the 50 works you can also play with dialing it back from there until you find the sweet spot. I hope this fixes things. It did for me! Always tough to know if someone else really has the same issue. Let us know what ends up working or not working.

Best of luck & happy gaming!

No sir....the Power Limit is there to disable the throttling that is set at default (0). Set it at the maximum + value (if yours is 75, then set it at 75...cards are different as to what the default is set at...depending on the manufacturer. Do not worry about the heat right now. Post a screenshot of your settings.

Here, is there anything else i need to set for better perfomance? If you need more pictures of something, let me know

Screenshot_1.png

0 Likes

Did that, thanks! Only thing i dont have is Speed (RPM). And btw should i increase the frequency or not? I heard that sometimes it crashes ur game when u put it to maximum. And  one more thing, RX 550 has dxlevel 12, will the games work better on windows 10 or 7? Im currenutly or 7, and the games worked much worser on 10 when i had R7 240, thats why im currenutly on 7, will it be diffrent now with RX 550? Thanks for your help !

0 Likes

Change "Target" and "Max" (I now use 75c as Max instead of 80c). Be sure to click apply.

DX12=Windows10 only

Speed=indicated (example) that it is left at default. Not every card has that setting.

Do not change freq...or anything else.

** Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 must be fully updated before attempting to install any AMD driver. All 'critical', 'recommended', and 'optional' (no language packs,etc) updates as well as any Service Packs (SP) must be installed before any attempt to install graphics drivers. If you do not get this message .... keep installing until you do:

If you have issues updating Win7 > Windows will not update after a fresh install

0 Likes

So is your recommendation Windows 10 or Windows 7? And i should install every windows update for best perfomance and experience? ( ofc no laungage packs..)

0 Likes

In despise Win10....so I use Win7. People either love or hate Win10...if you do use it, be sure to prevent Microsoft from changing/installing graphics updates automatically.

0 Likes

True that, personally im neutral about Windows apperance, im looking more for perfomance, dont care how it looks tho. Maybe it will work better for me this time since i got new gpu, will try it out, i can back to windows 7 easily, there is a options for that. thanks for your help dude rly apreceite it

0 Likes

The big thing is to prevent/delay Microsoft from changing your drivers...several methods

Windows 10 Forums

0 Likes
sticko
Adept I

Hey guys, i just want to thank you for your time and help. I increased the power limit and it worked. In games like Fortnite, Warframe,Payday 2, Fallout 4 and Far Cry 4 i got MUCH bigger fps on Radeon RX 550 than i had before on R7 240. Im glad it worked and im thankful for your help. The only problem i have are drivers, im using the 17.11 driver for my GPU ( ITs driver from November ) If i use newest one ( 18.1) or 17.12 i get huge fps drops. So im forced to use driver from November, wha should i do about that? Should i stick with 17.11 untill new one comes that fixes those drops or what? One more time thanks, and have a nice day!!

0 Likes

The only thing ever forcing you to update is if something doesn't work. You certainly can ride that driver out as long as you can, if it is doing everything you need. You also can try new drivers, just make sure that if you have to regress back to do a clean install on the driver, and make sure you refresh yourself with your settings before you start. I would like to ask though when trying the newer drivers did you you do a clean install? This means removing the old drivers first not just upgrading them. I uninstall them. Then run DDU from safe mode: Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 17.0.8.2

Then install the new driver with the clean install option. It's can many times make a huge difference getting rid of the leftovers before an install. Good luck though I am so glad your doing better!

Happy Gaming!

0 Likes

If it ain't broke, don't fix it