cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

tomos
Journeyman III

Broken r5, r7 or amd at all on hp.

Hi. I have my HP 17-y021ur with R5 & R7 on board. And I can say I'm definitely tired to fight with these 2 cards and their drivers. Since oct 17 I get BSOD, freezes, malfunctions of software and games. Notice, since oct we had not the only one version of AMD drivers, but I have the same problems more than 3 months. What did I do with that. I used cleanapp of AMD, I installed all types of drivers from amd.com and the latest too. I used again and again cleantool to install drivers from hp section of my laptop, I installed drivers from Win10 sources with win10 updates etc. I tried even clean install of win10. Nothing's changed. It can happen when I use word, or when i listen to Spotify or when I play smth (not HARD as game for my laptop), and I see only green (insiders) now only blue screens, and it's always with th fault of  atikmdag.sys, dxgkrnl.sys THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER sometimes with another text. SO do'nt ask me which driver I have now, it doesn't matter. Just tell me I have broken cards on my laptop? No compatibility of all these soft and hardwares? Coz I don't know how to work with that.

0 Likes
12 Replies

Make sure your laptop has the latest BIOS and Chipset installed. That Windows is fully updated via Windows Update. If your laptop has a APU (What type does your Hp Laptop have installed) , you must download the APU drivers from AMD Support and not the GPU drivers.

Does your HP laptop have the November,2017 BIOS installed? if not you can download it from HP Support here: HP Software and Driver Downloads for HP Printers, Laptops, Desktops and More | HP® Customer Support

Also from AMD Forum : Laptop graphics update...How to  and How to Configure Laptop Switchable Graphics

This is a post on another thread concerning your error. It may be useful:

this is from Tom's Hardware concerning your BSOD error. It has some helpful tips on resolving the problem , It is about a year old but I believe still valid: How to fix Windows 10 Thread Stuck In Device Driver error - Windows 10

This link is even better than the above. It goes into more depth troubleshooting your problem: http://troubleshooter.xyz/wiki/fix-thread-stuck-in-device-driver-windows-10/

This from Microsoft Forum answer:

Hi,

The issue that you’ve encountered regarding the device driver on your computer may be caused by some configuration or files mismatched. To sort out your concern, we suggest that you run the System File Checker (SFC) tool to scan and correct any possible integrity violation on the system. To do this, you may follow the steps provided on thislink. Once you’re on the page, expand the version of Windows that you are using under the Run the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) section, and then proceed with the steps to complete the process.

0 Likes

So, it's funny that everything you have to do (according to links) is to reinstall drivers. Because I told you that I installed clean version of win10, so the things like sfc etc are useless. The one thing I did - installing APU drivers. After that (reboot) 10 min ago I tried to open a simple video on YouTube and made it fullscreen, da-dam, BSOD with THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER dxgkrnl.sys + atikmdag.sys

I have latest bios since 11.17

upd: the latest driver doent's work, attention, with Win10 apps, it crushes always after 2 sec from the start. So, now I'm on 25.09.2017 / 22.19.180.513, which is the next step...

0 Likes

Get your drivers from the laptop manufacturer.

Recommendation:

AMD recommends using the graphics drivers provided by your notebook's manufacturer as the manufacturer has customized the drivers to support the built-in display and the features and functions specific to the notebook. Customized graphics drivers are available for download from the notebook manufacturer's web site.

If the current operating system (OS) is not the OS originally installed on the laptop, it may not meet all the requirements and compatible graphics drivers may not be available. Please refer to the laptop manufacturer for supported OS and graphics drivers for your specific laptop.

AMD provides a reference/generic graphics driver for AMD Mobility Radeon & APU graphics with limited support for notebook specific features and functions. This is not intended to be used as a replacement for the notebook manufacturer's driver.

List of Major Notebook Manufacturers and Corresponding Support Web Sites

0 Likes

Have you read?

I used again and again cleantool to install drivers from hp section of my laptop

0 Likes

Go to the manufacturers support site.

Download and install the supplied graphics driver specific to Windows 10.

0 Likes

You realy can't read?

0 Likes

I read fine. You wrote " install drivers from hp section of my laptop".

I said:

Go to the manufacturers support site.

Download and install the supplied graphics driver specific to Windows 10.

0 Likes

I wrote, I tried this!

These are the latest/last graphics drivers for your laptop > HP Software and Driver Downloads for HP Printers, Laptops, Desktops and More | HP® Customer Support

I have latest bios since 11.17

Please read the info above.

0 Likes

Then contact HP....

If even their own drivers won't work on your laptop...what do you expect from AMD?

0 Likes
tomos
Journeyman III

Founded a workaround but...

I installed HP drivers of 2016 and made a block to update it from win10update with gpedit.

Now I have another problem. 2/3 of my apps periodically don't work correctly because of old (?) video driver, I see black screen and then a message from w10 that

Application blocked from accessing graphics hardware

outlook, skype app, two games (if I start it again it can work...)

so what can I do, I can't update it and can't use the old one. trying to get help from hp.

0 Likes

Good luck