cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

ajlueke
Grandmaster

NVidia reveals big format gaming displays (BFGD), will Freesync versions follow?

Nvidia BFGD monitor is 65 inches of 4K HDR gaming glory at CES - CNET

This is something I have been hoping for, to use my high end surround sound system along with Freesync and HDR.  Any idea if AMD is working with partners to release freesync BFGDs?

0 Likes
5 Replies

FreeSync is a VESA standard, there is no need for a proprietary device. AMD has been working for over a year to get adaptive sync built into televisions, which would not only benefit computer displays, but also gaming consoles.

Are FreeSync TVs On The Way?

0 Likes

I think it is important not to confuse the terms.  While it is true that adaptive sync is a VESA standard, Freesync builds upon that by requiring that manufacturers to meet certain performance metrics in backlight bleed, DRR range, motion blur, backlight flicker, pixel persistence, etc.  To get the FreeSync label from AMD then, the display manufacturer still has to submit the relevant data to demonstrate the metrics have been met.  So my question is, are manufacturers like Acer, ASUS and the like, submitting large format displays for Freesync certification?  They are clearly incorporating the Gsync FPGA and submitting back to NVidia for Gsync certification.

I do not like the idea of purely adaptive sync displays as no performance qualification is required, which can lead to wildly variable implementations and functionality between different displays and manufacturers.

I also am not as excited by the idea of Freesync TVs.  The term TV implies that the display comes complete with a tuner (NTSC, ATSC) for viewing broadcasts.  They also tend to come preloaded with their own "Smart" software, for viewing Hulu, Netflix and various other app ecosystems.  If the intent is to attach a PC to the display, the TV software and tuners are unnecessary, and are essentially wasted money.  TVs also tend to lack Displayport inputs, and support for input of high resolutions and refresh rates.

Monitors by contrast just display, with gaming specific features like high resolutions, refresh rates, HDR and "Freesync, Gsync".  However, they tend to be too small to use from the couch in the living room.

I would love to replace my 55" LCD TV with a similar sized monitor, but I'm not keen on buying NVidia hardware (Not that I could with current availability).  So I really hope Freesync versions are on the way as well.

0 Likes

Would be pointless as they would not sell them due to crypto mining. If gamers cannot buy high end

amd cards they certainly will not buy high end free-sync monitors.

0 Likes

I am hoping that resolves itself.  In early November, Vega 64 and 56 reference models could be had at MSRP despite crypto mining.  AMD however started allocating their chips for custom cards from the various manufacturers.  The supply of reference cards dwindled, and the custom cards haven't really shown up yet to replace them leaving us with the wonderful shortage we have now.  Hopefully custom cards will start to appear soon in higher volumes to remedy that issue.

But beyond that, those displays could be used by Xbox One X owners or anyone running an AMD based console.

0 Likes

Looks like AMD cards are back to near MSRP, and Freesync TVs are officially announced!

AMD nudges FreeSync into the living room on select Samsung QLED TV models | PC Gamer

Sadly, they did implement on TVs instead of monitors.  The Freesync range will probably be pretty limited as TVs have pretty narrow refresh rate ranges, and lack DisplayPort for higher bandwidth.

0 Likes