Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

yangtze87
Journeyman III

video tdr failure atikmpag.sys

Hi,

I was playing around with the drivers for my RX 570 and installed some softwares. Right after that, I start having bsod "video tdr failure". I quickly reverted everything, but the problem did not go away.

Here is the screenshot of my windows reliability history:

https://ibb.co/imEL96

https://ibb.co/cofksR

https://ibb.co/gSNOU6

What could be the problem and how can I fix it?

Thanks

0 Likes
12 Replies

You didn't mention your Computer specs/configuration. What version of Windows are you running? Make and Model of Motherboard, PSU, CPU/APU?  This is a Desktop with a RX570 and not a Laptop, right?

It's possible that you still may have had some left over AMD driver files that is interfering with the reinstallation of the Current AMD driver.

Make sure your windows OS is fully updated via Windows Update.

Then uninstall all AMD driver software using Windows Uninstall. Now download and run DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) in safe mode. This will completely eliminate any leftover AMD driver software or files. Delete if you have C:\AMD folder in the Root Directory. reboot.

Download or reinstall the AMD full set of drivers and see if you still have the problems.

Thanks for the reply!

It's a desktop. I'm using 2x corsair 750w (1 new + 1 refurbished). Apparently, the refurbished one was acting up. The light on my Asus RX 570 was flickering a little. I took it out and everything is running fine with 1 PSU. It could have been the dual PSU adapter that I was using.

0 Likes
besta2010
Adept I

I've been getting the same thing with my RX-570. So your issue was traced back to the PSU? I'm wondering if I just need to replace my 4-5 year old one, even though it is under warranty yet.

0 Likes

Try "stress" testing your PSU and see if your PSU outputs stays  within acceptable range.  There are many free diagnostic programs you can use to check your PSU.

I, personally, use OCCT which is free program . It can be used to check the CPU, GPU, & PSU. but there are many others that are as good or better.

Also what Wattage is your PSU? Maybe it is underpowered for your RX-570. Click on this link : PSU REQUIREMENTS - RealHardTechX  and scroll down to your GPU card and see what is the minimum TOTAL PSU wattage you need to have with your RX-570. That will at least tell you if you need to upgrade your PSU to a stronger wattage.

I will check out that OCCT program. That might point me in the right direction. At work now so I can't try it right away.

My PSU is a Seasonic S12II 620 watt from 2013, which should be more than plenty for my Ryzen 3/RX-570. (RealHardTech recommends 500 W minimum)

Edit: btw: I did test my PSU while it was running under load. All voltages were nominal, unless the voltages were changing faster than my cheap-ish multimeter could detect.

0 Likes

I ran the OCCT benchmarks, and got some interesting results. CPU/GPU tests ran fine, no issues. I run the PSU test, and the system freezes up momentarily while running it. Voltages read normal, but just a second or two at a time, it freezes. It comes back after a moment - but while it is frozen I have no idea what it is doing. Is this something you have seen before? I still want to run memtest86+ and system file checker is running now.

Thanks!

0 Likes

Thanks - my issue is a little different than described here, but that thread has many different troubleshooting steps that I haven't tried yet. I'll run through them when I get home.

0 Likes

I haven't done all the tests yet, and nothing new yet. System file checker is running now (seems to be stuck at 52%?), and I haven't done the memtest86+ yet, but I tried the OCCT benchmarking tool the other guy suggested. CPU/GPU tests ran fine, no issues. I run the PSU test, and the system freezes up momentarily while running it. Voltages read normal, just a second or two at a time, it freezes.

0 Likes

Have you reset the TDR value?

0 Likes

Yup! First thing I tried, but no luck. System file checker finished with no problems, and memtest ran 3 passes with no errors. I turned on the driver verifier, but no actual bsod yet.

I may just run and get a different psu and see if that improves my problems.

0 Likes
nate_f93
Journeyman III

I have the same problem, it may be an overclocking issue, I tried to replace the file but windows wouldn't let me.

0 Likes