Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

goger
Journeyman III

system has detected a link failure and cannot set the requested resolution

Hi,

about three weeks ago I had a problem with my PC:

When i started the PC I get the message

"system has detected a link failure and cannot set the requested resolution ..."

from the AMD Settings Tool.

Before that the system worked fine for over a year and I am not aware of something I did that could have caused the issue. That time I was able to resolve the problem by switching to an older system restore point. The restore point was from a windows update installation of a vga driver for the chipset of my i5 processor. When I siwtched back I noticed that I had a new problem which first occured after the creators fall update: The monitor was way too dark. This can be solved by running the color calobration of windows 10.

Since this, the error didn't show up again until yesterday.

I have exactly the same problem. So I tried the last restore point. This time it didn't fix the problem. The restore point I used was from a program installation. It seems as if this does not fix the affected files. I noticed that after restoring the brightness problem didn't occur again this time, so it did something different than when I restored the first time the problem occured. Unfortunately that restore point is not available anymore.

More things I noticed:

- freesync is only recognized for 55-59Hz although the display can do 144hz

- freesync doens't work anymore, tested it with the windmill demo. Last time I tested it, it was ok (but this is half a year ago, so I am not sure if the problems are related)

- device manager says monitor is not migrated, but I am not sure if this is normal and unrelated

- the error message is gone when i disable DP1.2 in the monitor, but freesync still doesn't work and I believe DP1.2 is necessary for freesync

I am 100% sure that this is a software issue because the system worked fine and last time a software change removed the problem, unfortunately I am not able to find out what I have to do this to get rid of this error. I really don't want to reinstall the system, because I am not sure if this would fix it, might be related to some windows update?

What I have tried so far:

- uninstall AMD driver including registry cleanup followed by

- install of latest driver

- uninstall of monitor driver

- uninstall of unused monitors in device manager (i have no idea why but there were quite a few of them)

- reinstall of monitor driver

- power off/on

- display port cable reconnect

My system:

CPU: i5-6600k

Mainboard: Asus Z170-A

RAM: 16GB

primary monitor: LG 34uc79g-b connected via DP

secondary monitor: benq gl2450 connected via dp to dvi

Windows 10 64-Bit

I hope someone has any idea what is going on.

Thakn you very much.

Best regards.

1 Reply
annarki
Adept I

I have the same problem.  Any solution?

0 Likes