Drivers & Software

"No AMD driver is installed..." problem - Already tried common fixes

Setup:

GPU: XFX AMD Radeon HD 7870

Desktop - Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Driver: Radeon Adrenalin Edition 17.12.2 Optional

Intel i5 3570 - 8GB of RAM

Hello everyone,

First of all, take into account that I have already tried the common fix with DDU and did a clean install of the newest driver. I'll explain the whole situation and what I've done so far:

My brother was watching some Dota2 replays when the PC screen turned brown, the system restarted and after the Windows logo nothing appeared - a black screen. Assuming it was a graphic card issue, I disabled my GPU (details above) and enabled the integrated graphics, which worked. After trying to launch AMD Settings, I got the following message error:

"No AMD graphics driver is installed, or the AMD driver is not functioning properly. Please install the AMD driver appropriate for your AMD hardware."

Then I browsed through the AMD forums and found out it was a quite common problem with an apparently easy fix. Here's what I've done so far:

1. Downloaded DDU and the latest AMD driver for my GPU.

2. Deleted the whole C://AMD folder.

3. Booted into Safe Mode and ran DDU (Clean and restart).

4. Installed the driver.

5. Still getting the message error.

I've tried a System Restore, but for some reason I get an error message and Windows is not able to restore the system to a previous point.

Further help would be highly appreaciated. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
2 Replies
Ray_AMD
Community Manager

If you're running off the integrated GPU, that error message can be expected, since the monitor is connected to the onboard device.

Does the HD7870 show up in the device manage ? Are there any error codes attached to it ?

0 Likes

Hi there ray, thank you for your reply.

Yes, my HD7870 does show up in the device manager, and it is apparently okay.

What would the integrated GPU have to do with the error? As far as I understand, as long as I have my 7870 in my PC and Crimson installed, the fact that the iGPU is set as primary doesn't mean it has to cause any software issues. Please correct me if I'm wrong

Now I have another problem I installed some recent Windows critical updates, and now the screen is black after the Windows logo even with my iGPU set as primary. I have no clue what happened.

0 Likes