cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

hipunk
Adept I

[ISSUE xubuntu 16.04 7870HD amdgpu-pro 17.40/17.50] Newly connected screen does not output signal until you configure it using a secondary monitor

Hello,

I am running xubuntu 16.04.3 and I encounter an issue/bug that is really annoying:

I have to switch my computer monitor between several computers. The setup is multiple computers with one monitor.

There is a switch that allows switching between computers. But the problem exists as well when unplugging/changing the cable.

The results are the same.

I switch from my desktop PC with AMD graphics to another machine and then back. Be it using the switch or by unplugging the other machine and plugging in the desktop with AMD graphics. When doing so, the AMD graphics card does not output a signal.

Not a black screen but no signal.

To avoid this problem I have to use a weird and ultimately annoying workaround: I have to plug my AMD graphics card into my PC monitor twice. One time using HDMI output OR (results are the same with DVI and HDMI) DVI output AND one time using analog VGA. When I reconnect the PC, the monitor switches over to VGA input. From there I configure it to using HDMI (or DVI) again.
To see where I configure, look here:

http://i.imgur.com/nbd5oKj.png

Two monitors are visible, but it's really just the same monitor plugged in twice. Into one graphics card.

This is the only way to recover from this problem in this config:

http://i.imgur.com/NZU86L1.png

That is a lot of VRAM wasted for nothing.

I know that this bug only exists on Linux. I have used version amdgpu-pro 17.40 492261 for half a year. I just updated to 17.50 511655. The issue persists.

This bug does not appear on Mac OS X 10.10 - 10.13 on this computer (other versions are untested). This bug does not appear on Windows 7 or 8.1 on this computer (other versions are untested). This bug is Linux only. I do not know if other Linux distros or kernels have the same bug, I don't have enough resources to test this.

The specifications are as follows:

Logicboard: Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H.

Graphics accelerator: Sapphire AMD Radeon 7870HD 2GB oc edition.

Central Processing Unit: Intel Core i5 2500k.

Sufficient power supply.

Tested memory without errors.

Screen: Belinea 22". The issue happens with other screens as well.

Operating System: xubuntu 16.04.2 upgraded to 16.04.3.

Kernel: Linux 4.10.0-42-generic.

If you need more information, let me know. I can provide you with log files if needed.

Please fix this issue. It wastes everyones time and even managed to make me quite angry about AMD over the course of the last few months and is utterly frustrating, to say the least.

Other than that I am quite happy with AMDGPU/AMDGPU-PRO, I appreciate it over fglrx. Thanks for having created it.

Greetz from germany,

hipunk

0 Likes
7 Replies

Could I ask what commands exactly you used to install the drivers please?
Please see this post:
Link to Follow.

I have an issue where I have 3 R9 Nanos  for Crossfire / Trifire on Windows 8.1 64bit, but no more AMD Drivers for Windows 8.1 64bit.
I have mostly moved to Ubuntu 16.04LTS now, and I have a separate Windows 10 64bit installation just for Gaming / Testing.

In Windows 10/8.1 64 bit I have the following configuration.
The Primary and Secondary R9 Nanos are normally configured in Crossfire with the Primary driving 1 FreeSync Monitor over DisplayPort.
The third R9 Nano driving a separate independent monitor over HDMI.

When I install Ubuntu 16.04 LTS with the AMD-GPU-PRO Driver 17.50 I get whitescreen output  from the display attached via HDMI on the third R9 Nano. with the above configuration.

I end up having to swap the HDMI output from the Third R9 Nano to the HDMI output on the Primary Card to get secondary monitor output.

Bye.

0 Likes

Here is the link I mentioned.
I have a login loop issue when trying to install AMDGPU-PRO or AMDGPU 17.50 Drivers on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS on a system with Nvidia GTX780Ti Primary and R9 Nano Secondary.
AMD-GPU-PRO 17.50 installation causing login loop on Dual GPU System.
Don't suppose you have a spare  Nvidia Card available that you could use to test if you see the same issue?

Thanks.

I'm not sure you have the same problems I have, but sure.

Could I ask what commands exactly you used to install the drivers please?

The 17.40 drivers were installed using the amdgpu-pro-install binary from AMDs official driver support website.

I'm not sure if I used sudo or was logged in as root though, it was too long ago. Maybe I did it using user privileges, don't know anymore.

To install 17.50 I ran into some issues by upgrading without having uninstalled 17.40 beforehand, so I had to manually uninstall using $ amdgpu-pro-uninstall from tty1, then I rebooted into a working X environment again from which I installed 17.50 after having 'repaired' all dependency issues the failed upgrade created.

I then installed using $ ./amdgpu-pro-install from within the folder the extracted archive created.

After a reboot everything was fine.

However I ran into another major issue yesterday: Dota 2 is bugged using 17.50 (RAM usage in main menu rises to about 10GB, going ingame is not possible due to system lock up from out of memory) so I had to downgrade anyway.

I'm currently running 17.40 again, no issues or bugs except the one I described in my above post.

As I mentioned already: 17.50 has the same issue.

I do not have a spare nvidia graphics card to test out other scenarios, sorry.

Other than that: is it even possible to install amdgpu only when using version 17.40? I only have a amdgpu-pro-install binary in the driver archive, no amdgpu-install like in 17.50.

You might want to try uninstall from tty1 as well, then you might be able to boot with the open source built in driver.

You can access tty1 with ctrl-alt-F1. (Your desktop/X is at ctrl-alt-F7).

Oh, I forgot to mention I'm using LTS version as well.

0 Likes

Hi,

I will try DOTA2 with 17.50 here on an R9 Nano only machine and let you know what I see running Ubuntu 16.04LTS and AMDGPU-PRO 17.50 on i7-4790K with triple R9 Nano and 32GB of RAM as soon as I can.

Could you open a separate support thread for that though before I reply please?

All of these Driver issues with AMDGPU-PRO on Ubuntu linux could get very long and confusing if we do not separate them out ...

I have tested lots of Linux games on that machine and whilst most things are running with a bit of effort on my part at times, I do see low FPS on some titles compared to what I remember getting with older versions of Ubuntu and older AMD Proprietary Drivers.  Also Talos Principle on Vulkan just fatals.

Bye.

colesdav wrote:

I will try DOTA2 with 17.50 here on an R9 Nano only machine and let you know what I see running Ubuntu 16.04LTS and AMDGPU-PRO 17.50 on i7-4790K with triple R9 Nano and 32GB of RAM as soon as I can.

Could you open a separate support thread for that though before I reply please?

Thanks! Sure, I will do so as soon as I can. However I will have to switch to 17.50 again and this won't happen today, I will do so tomorrow.

Greetz

0 Likes

Hi,

I just tried to get the Vulkan SDK set up and running on AMDGPU-PRO 17.50 here on an R9 Nano only machine running Ubuntu 16.04LTS.

I install the AMD Driver first then I install the Vulkan SDK, then I run the build scripts and run tests.

Could you possibly take a look at how I set this up and please let me know if you think I set up something incorrectly?

(1). I set up the environment variables specified in the SDK in my .bashrc and .profile files as far as I know the following should be correct:

VK_ICD_FILENAMES= /etc/vulkan/icd.d/amd_icd64.json

VULKAN_SDK= /home/username/vulkan/VulkanSDK/1.0.65.0/x86_64

PATH= /home/username/vulkan/VulkanSDK/1.0.65.0/x86_64/bin:/home/username/bin:/home/username/.local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games:/snap/bin

LD_LIBRARY_PATH= /home/username/vulkan/VulkanSDK/1.0.65.0/x86_64/lib:

VK_LAYER_PATH= /home/username/vulkan/VulkanSDK/1.0.65.0/x86_64/etc/explicit_layer.d

(2). Regarding VK_ICD_FILENAMES= /etc/vulkan/icd.d/amd_icd64.json

When I install the " ./amdgpu-pro-install -y --opencl=legacy " or "./amdgpu-install --pro --opencl=legacy,rocm" drivers I get the following files under /etc/vulkan/icd.d/

amd_icd64.json

amd_icd32.json

Both of these files contain errors, the line "abi_versions" needs changed to "api_version" in both .json files.

(3). Additionally for some reason, if I leave the amd_icd32.json file under the /etc/vulkan/icd.d/ directory I get problems compiling Vulkan Tools, even though I have set VK_ICD_FILENAMES to point to /etc/vulkan/icd.d/amd_icd64.json which shouild be correct for my 64 bit Ubuntu 16.04.LTS installation. I remove that file and only leave /etc/vulkan/icd.d/amd_icd64.json file under that directory for now.

(4). I then navigate the the following directory: /home/username/vulkan/VulkanSDK/1.0.65.0

I run the following scripts, I made sure to install the prerequisite programs to run the scripts and the scripts seem to run fine and compile everything o.k.

./build_tools.sh

./build_examples.sh

./build_samples.sh

(5). I run vulkaninfo. It works. It reports the three R9 Nanos I have installed in my system no problem.

(6). I run via. Here is the output I see.

username@machinename:~$ via

SDK Found! - Will attempt to run ./cube using the command-line: ./cube --c 100

Segmentation fault (core dumped)

SDK Found! - Will attempt to run ./cube using the command-line: ./cube --c 100 --validate

ERROR: Unknown Test failure occurred.

via produces a via.html file under my home directory but does not seem to produce any useful information other than to tell me cube and cubepp failed.

(7). If I go to the following directory directly: /home/username/vulkan/VulkanSDK/1.0.65.0/examples/build

The directory contains built examples as follows:

cube

cubepp

vulkaninfo

Here is what I get when I try to run them:

username@machinename:~/vulkan/VulkanSDK/1.0.65.0/examples/build$ ./cube

username@machinename:~/vulkan/VulkanSDK/1.0.65.0/examples/build$ ./cubepp

vulkaninfo runs fine.

Needless to say something seems wrong somewhere but I admit I am presently out of ideas.
Perhaps my setup is wrong, or perhaps there is a bug in the amd drivers.

If I try to run DOTA2 for you using Steam, (I added the -vulkan launch option I get the following, unsurprisingly:

"Failed To Initialize Vulkan.
Please make sure your Driver and GPU support Vulkan."

Sorry I could not be of more help.

Bye.

0 Likes