cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

bimiel
Journeyman III

Ryzen intel XMP?

Hello i'm sorry for my i'am french and not really god in the shakespear language .

So i recently build a computer based on an AMD ryzen 1600 platform that's work really good.

But i have a little trouble i have buy a DDR4 ram with the intel XMP.

When i buy it i does'nt know anything about intel XMP or A XMP for amd.

So when i look my BIOS ram is at 2133 Mhz she can grow up to 3200 Mhz.

But before change in BIOS DDR4 frequency i prefer ask here can up to 3200Mhz or i'm blocked to 2666 Mhz.

My mother board told me 2666 Mhz normaly and 3200 Mhz (oc).

My computer spécification:

MotherBoard: Asus X-370 Rog Strix.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 1600.

RAM: DDR4 Crucial Ballistix elite 3200Mhz with intel XMP. => 8Go

SSD: Transcend 128 go for OS.

HDD: Western digital blue 1To

Graphics: Nvidia 960 gygabyte 2 Go

Power: Corsair  CX 650 watts.

Watercooling CPU: Corsair H60 V2013.

So my question can up my Ram frequency to 3200 Mhz with bios utilies of my mother board or it's more reasonnable to stay at 2133 Mhz or up to 2666 mHz?

Thanks for answer have a nice day and i'm waiting for new graphic card from AMD

0 Likes
4 Replies
neon
Miniboss

Here is a general answer, because I do not know specifics for your motherboard.

The official maximum is 2666 MHz, at which Ryzen memory controller is guaranteed. Above that frequency is considered to be overclocking territory.

To get to 3200, you need: DDR4 modules that can reach 3200 (done); chipset that can overclock (done); motherboard UEFI that can support 3200, so be sure you update UEFI - most motherboards with original UEFI could reach 2933, many motherboards with updated UEFI can reach 3200. You also need a little luck from the silicon lottery - the memory controller on the CPU must be stable at 3200. The chance is pretty good, so go try it.

Some motherboards support XMP profiles with AMD CPUs, some do not. If yours does not, then you will want to manually enter the memory module timings into the UEFI settings, using correct timings for your Crucial modules.

0 Likes

Thanks for answer another to confirm please?

0 Likes
noodles59
Miniboss

why don't you ask in an Asus forum? They should know best what your board is capable of!

0 Likes
mistered
Adept III

AMD motherboards use DOCP to translate the Intel XMP profile to a one that is compatible with it.

0 Likes