cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Why can't I ever get my gpu fan to turn on when it's below 59 degrees C?

I notice that playing with the Wattman settings under fan and temperature I can't seem to change what it does much. In fact the only thing I seem to be able to change is that when the fan does decide to turn on how high it's rpm will be (min under "Fan"). Changing target under "Fan" category does nothing. Chaning min acoustic limit does nothing. Changing Max and Target temperatures under "Temperature" does nothing. No matter what the settings are set to it seems to only ever want to come on when the temp hits 59 degrees C and as soon as it drops back to 58 degrees C it shuts off completely. I must be missing something...

10 Replies

Graphics card, driver vers., OS ?

Any 3rd party oc/fan control apps installed ?

You are clicking the apply button, have you tried a Clean Install AMD Graphics Drivers

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

I use a Nvidia Asus Graphic card and the fan doesn't turn on unless the temperature is above 60 centigrade. It is part of the vBIOS of the card. I don't know what manufacturer your card is, but it is possible it also has something similar.

elstaci​ Given that this is an AMD forum and the OP refers to Wattman which is an AMD utility I think it is safe to assume that the question refers to an AMD made GPU! It does seem to me to be perfectly reasonable that someone might want to start cooling at a lower temperature and avoid waiting till the GPU has reached 60 deg. C and perhaps then having to run the fan at high speed. I believe this should work, I have done it with the Gigabyte utility that is available with the version of an RX 570 I use but have not tried it with Wattman.

0 Likes

What I said has nothing to do with Nvidia except the fact that Asus has a feature that turns on the fan of their GPU card at 60 c or above. Don't you think that maybe other manufacturers of both Nvidia and AMD GPU cards may incorporate the same type of feature. If you know how to read, the OP mentioned a specific temperature at which the GPU card wouldn't turn on. The feature was added by Asus to prevent the fan from running all the time when the GPU card isn't that hot and to make the fan last longer through less wear and tear and less noise.

Found this link concerning a AMD GPU card that has a similar feature as Asus and is not a NVIDIA card. Should the Graphic Card's Fan be Running all the Time? - [Solved] - Graphics Cards

This is from one of the comments from above mentioned link:

George Phillips  Dec 31, 2015, 3:13 AM

Use GPU-Z to check temperature when it's idling while fans are not running. A lot of fans of newer graphics cards are designed to run at 0 rpm when it's idling or below certain temperature. It's a good thing it doesn't even run to keep it quite. It's a great card!

I can read perfectly well and what you wrote in your first reply was only about your Nvidia, Assus, you then asked the OP quote "I don't know what manufacturer your card is, but it is possible it also has something similar.". I merely pointed out in my reply that I believed the OP had an AMD and offered some advice in that respect. At no time did I suggest that your first reply was totally irrelavant but you seem to have taken it that way. Perhaps you don't know how to read!

0 Likes

You need to uninstall all third party graphics controllers....Trixx, Asus, Afterburner, etc, etc. They conflict with AMD/Wattman/Relive settings and controls. Reset all settings to 'application default' before uninstalling. Reinstall the AMD driver of your choice using a clean install > Clean Install AMD Graphics Drivers

In the Wattman/Relive/Adrenalin control panel > games > profile change the TEMPERATURE to 'manual' and lower the "Target Temperature" (if you have that setting) to 75c. If you have the old style panel, put the 'Target' temperature at 40c and the 'Max' at 75c. This engages the fans at 40c and will GRADUALLY increase them to keep the temperature under the Max temp (75c). Be sure you click 'apply'. DO NOT CHANGE ANY OTHER SETTING.

None of this will help if you try to just disable/turn off the third party controllers...you must delete them and undo all changes they (or you) have made to the setting, registry, etc...hence a 'clean install' of the AMD drivers is best.

RX 580 Temps under load running up to 85c, idle is at ~45c.

Wattman fan curve does not work

Poor performance in World of Warships - Radeon 17.6.2 & RX 480

0 Likes
Earnhardt
Grandmaster

0 Likes
waltc
Miniboss

I noticed on my previous R9 380 that if set to automatic the fan would not kick in until the GPU reached 60 C (I haven't checked it for my RX-480 8GB--but I suspect something similar.)  That is normal behavior.  You can override that by using utilities like Afterburner, that allow you to set up a custom GPU fan profile.  But the GPU is designed to not need active cooling until you hit 60C.  So, not a problem--it also keeps thing a lot more quiet, too. 

0 Likes
left4dead666
Adept II

I have the exact same settings on my graphics card its from the manifacturer i got the Sapphire Nitro + RX570 8GB and the cards fan will turn on if its 60 degrees but in the Radeon Wattman Settings you can adjust this to your desired tempratures also look for acoustic limit to turn it arround 600.

0 Likes

All of these issues are caused by using third party (Asus 'Fan Connect2'/GPU Tweak2) graphics controllers which conflict with AMD settings and controls. This control shuts fans off until temps reach 55-60c. It's best to uninstall all that software and use what Wattman supports/supplies.

"0dB Technology
Game in Complete Silence

Innovative 0dB technology stops the fan completely when the GPU temperature remains below a set level*, letting you enjoy light gaming in complete silence."

*55°C for ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti  ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-11G-GAMING | Graphics Cards | ASUS USA

0 Likes