Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

mphuz
Adept II

Doom Not Loading - 7850 17.12.2

My system: Desktop

AMD HD 7850 2GB, Intel i5 3570, 8GB DRR3 RAM, 650W

Windows 10 64-bit, 1709 (build 16299.125)
Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition 17.12.2

Tired. Users have not run Doom on Vulkan. The problem randomly (afaik).

I'm testing on a demo version - does not start. Probably like a YEAR can't run..

Log

Write here please if you have the same problem with this game and with this API.

Message was edited by: Matt B

We have updated the title of this discussion with relevant details to better describe your issue.

0 Likes
1 Solution

RE: :Yes, I know about the console command.

It is a command you need to edit in a settings file I described.  Since you know about it, set it to 0 and it will launch Doom in OpenGL. You can then run the Demo in OpenGL instead of Vulkan. If you like the Demo in OpenGL then please purchase the game and when you purchase the game Vulkan should run fine on Adrenalin 17.12.2 Driver.

If it does not work then ask Steam for a refund. The only difference you will see in Vulkan is higher FPS versus OpenGL, and maybe, like I did, a bit of texture flicker in a few places. Elsewhere it runs fine in Vulkan.

I even managed to get Doom to run in Vulkan on an R9 280x in a "Mining Adapter"  .... i.e. a PCIIe2.0 to USB3.0 to PCIex16 Graphics Card Adapter. It runs surprisingly well. Here is the Viideo:
colesdav - Running Doom on High settings at 1080p using a "Mining Adapter" - PCIe2.0x1 - USB3.0- PCI...

RE: No, lowering settings did not help.. Doom Demo Vulkan is completely broken for me.

OK - I was just pointing  out what can happen if you run Doom on a  Higher Spec PC at high settings - those settings get saved to the "Cloud". If you then try to run the game on a low spec laptop you may hit problems because of the settings previously saved to the  "Cloud".

RE:Doom Demo Vulkan is completely broken for me.

Yes and Doom Demo Vulkan is completely broken for me also on GTX780Ti, R9 Nano, R9 280x with a range of old and new drivers which support Vulkan and I tested Windows 8.1 and 10. Yet the full Doom game (once purchased) works fine on Vulkan on those cards and those OS and Drivers.

I am convinced that Vulkan on the Doom Demo needs updating and does not run properly.
So the only thing you can do is contact the game developers and tell them about it.
I doubt they will spend time fixing Vulkan in the Demo though,  I think it has been broken for some time. They will likey prefer to spend time on supporting the real game.

You can also file one of these: AMD Issue Reporting Form
I have done that.

Point to this thread.

There is nothing else you can do.
Either purchase the full game if you like it or run the Demo on OpenGL until the game developers fix Vulkan in the Doom Demo.

Bye.

View solution in original post

34 Replies
dreamager
Adept III

Well I've not tried the demo, but the full game works fine in vulkan at 1080p with all the settings at the highest on an RX480 win10 x64

0 Likes

Same here Vulkan works brilliantly in QHD as well in the full game. Maybe the demo doesn't have the latest updates to the Vulkan engine in game? Hope if you decide to get the full game it works for you as it is a fantastic game. One worth finishing!

0 Likes

Same here ! The full game runs just fine on my RX 480 at 1080p on Ultra preset.

0 Likes
mphuz
Adept II

May be the license holders of the full game won't be hard to download the demo and try it?

And I would like to see the report of owners of GCN 1.0.

0 Likes

I'll download & test the demo and i'm gonna let you know if the issue is present on my system.

0 Likes

If you buy it on Steam and find out right away that it won't work they will likely refund you. They have done this for me on many games (really old ones however) that would not work. You could message them and ask before you buy too if you can get a refund if you find out it won't run on your system. I can only say that they have been pretty cool with me, and others have said the only time they don't do this is when they can't because the developer/publisher of a certain game doesn't take returns. Some games I have seen even mention this when they don't. I have a 7850 still up and going in my basement I can try and put the demo on it and see if it works too. I'll try to do that before the weekends end. Good luck!

0 Likes

tried demo on my HD7850 and it worked fine for me.

Your system?

0 Likes

Just tried the demo . The game is still working just fine on vulkan , 1080p Ultra Preset on my RX 480 . I think the issue is present only on older graphics cards .

0 Likes

There was a time when the demo version worked fine with me. Maybe it is not updated?

0 Likes

I own the game. It plays great on Vulkan with R9 290/Win7...no issues at all.

0 Likes

What can you tell from the attached Log?

0 Likes

Nothing What's the big deal? Buy the game...you can get your money back if it doesn't work (or you find out what a utterly stupid game it really is)

Steam Refunds

DOOM on Steam

0 Likes

Hi,

I have an R9 280x which is GCN 1.0 I will try the Doom Demo on that for you if you think that is close enough to your card ...
Please let me know.

Bye.

0 Likes

Forgot to mention ... R9 280x can run full version of Doom fine, when used an an eGPU wireless adapter running with the following driver:
AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.2.1 Beta for Non GCN Products Release Notes

I tested that about 2 months ago.

I have not tested Doom or Doom demo  running Adrenalin Driver with R9 280x or HD7970 yet.

Bye.

0 Likes

It runs just fine with a R9 290...using wireless or direct.

0 Likes

Yes I saw that thanks.

But I think that the R9 290 is GCN 2.0?

There are definitely differences in support for GCN 1.0 versus later versions of GCN in ROCm, and Blender.

So maybe Vulkan as well.

Cheers.

0 Likes

You tried the demo?

0 Likes

Hi,

I was waiting to see if you wanted me to try it...
Sure I can try it now for you on an R9 280x which is a GCN 1.0 card. ...my HD7970 is mid repair at the moment.
Bye.

0 Likes

When tell results, can also be called your system?

0 Likes

OK. I just quickly tried Doom Demo on medium at 1080p on R9 Nano in secondary slot running at PCIE3.0x4 with i7-4770K
Since I own Doom already I had to open a new steam account to download and run the Demo.
I have 32GB of memory and I run with 17.4.4. WHQL Driver on Windows 8.1 64 bit OS.
OPENGL Doom Demo runs.
VULKAN Doom  Demo Crashes.It will not run at all with the 17.4.4. WHQL Driver. ---- >>>>> I think this might tell you lots.

I already know that Doom (not the demo) runs fine on an i7-4790K with R9 Nano and 32GB RAM on Adrenalin 17.12.2. with Windows 10 64bit I was testing it earlier today on my main steam account.

As for the R9 280x and i7-920XM with 16GB of RAM. I am still trying to get that to run Doom again, never mind the Doom Demo.
Reason being is this. I was running Doom on a very high end PC with Nightmare Textures on Vulkan this morning looking at Radeon Chill performance and ... Doom saves your settings to the cloud.
When you start Doom on your laptop it tries to run >5GB of textures on R9 280x 3GB ... which is a problem. It starts to load then crashes. I need to log back into my main account. Run Doom on the  i7-4770K and R9 Nano. Reduce the graphics settings, log out. log into my laptop, and try again  to run Doom with the R9 280X.

OK?

Bye.

0 Likes

OK. I just quickly tried Doom on medium at 1080p on R9 Nano in secondary slot running at PCIE3.0x4 with i7-4770K

I have 32GB of memory and I run with 17.4.4. WHQL Driver on Windows 8.1 64 bit OS.

OPENGL Doom runs.

VULKAN Doom runs better.

So the Doom Demo Crashes in Vulkan for me but the real Doom Game runs in Vulkan for me on the 17.4.4 WHQL Driver on Windows 8.1 64bit.

0 Likes

R9 280x and i7-920XM with 16GB of RAM.running Crimson Legacy Driver.
Doom runs well on OpenGL on Low settings at 1080p.
Vulkan Crashes with atikmdag.sys when I try to run it on Vulkan.
So it looks like turning Vulkan on that breaks older Crimson Legacy Driver (16.1)
I will need to douible check the release notes for the Driver.- No Vulkan  did not arrive until 16.71 so I will have to  run the R9 280x on something else.

I will try the Doom Demo on Vulkan anyhow and see if that works in OpenGL  as well as normal Doom.

Bye.

0 Likes

Doom demo in OpenGL runs fine. Doom Demo in Vulkan causes atikmdag.ssys crash for me on 16.1 legacy driver with t he  R9 280x egpu and i7 920Xm.
The 16.1 legacy driver I have to use on that system does not support Vulkan.

So... I will try the R9 280x on another system running Adrenalin Driver 17.12.2. 
Might take me some time though ...

Other people already say they have Vulkan working fine for them with the Doom Demo on similar card ... so it might be your game settings are causing problems (taking too much VRAM?)

Bye.

0 Likes

Here is another data point for you.
One of my i7-4770K machines has an Nvidia GTX 780Ti Primary running on PCIe3.0x8 and an R9 Nano Secondary running on PCIe3.0x4 (it can run  at x8 if I remove an NVMe SSD from the third PCIe Slot).

The GTX 780Ti is the Primary card because Nvidia still support Windows 8.1 64bit Drivers, so I still get the latest gaming drivers for that card.

I have already tested the Doom Demo on the R9 Nano Secondary in Vulkan - it crashes.
I have already tested Doom (the full game) on the R9 Nano Secondary in Vulkan - it runs fine.

I see the same thing happen on the GTX780Ti

The Doom Demo on the GTX780Ti running the latest Nvidia Drivers in Vulkan crashes.

Doom (the full game) on the GTX780Ti running the latest Nvidia Drivers in Vulkan runs fine.

So it looks to me like there is a problem with Vulkan in the Doom Demo.
This issue does not look like it is AMD or Nvidia specific.

Bye.

0 Likes

OK I fitted an R9 280X 3GB card to i74790K with 32GB RAM running Windows 10 64 bit Fall Edition. patched as of today and running fresh installation of Adrenalin 17.2.2 Driver. 

Full Doom Game.
=============

Result running Doom on OpenGL 4.5 - It runs fine. ReLive will not record the game though with the OpenGL 4.5 API. No texture flicker at all.

Result running Doom on Vulkan ... it runs, had some minor texture flicker that I do not see with the R9 Nanos.  I have a video recording of the settings I used showing it is running Vulkan.

Doom Demo.

==========

Result running Doom Demo on OpenGL 4.5 - It runs fine. ReLive will not record the game though with the OpenGL 4.5 API. No texture flicker at all.

Result running Doom Demo on Vulkan ... it crashes.

Here is the report:
=============

Callstack Function(desc) Line Bytes File Process Address

--------------------------- ---- ----- ---- ------- -------

vkResetFences() ... + 0x59711732 vulkan-1.dll 

GetGameSystemInterface() ... + 0x5a7537d5 DOOMx64vk.exe

GetGameSystemInterface() ... + 0x5a75fab4 DOOMx64vk.exe

GetGameSystemInterface() ... + 0x5a75a971 DOOMx64vk.exe

GetGameSystemInterface() ... + 0x5afe9bb7 DOOMx64vk.exe

** UNKNOWN **(** FUNC_PARAM_ERROR **) ... + 0x59b67891 DOOMx64vk.exe

GetGameSystemInterface() ... + 0x5b2b472c DOOMx64vk.exe

BaseThreadInitThunk() ... + 0xa0b91fe4 KERNEL32.DLL 

RtlUserThreadStart() ... + 0xa2aaef91 ntdll.dll 

Register Info 

--------------------------- 

EDI: 0x000000000AE46350 ESI: 0x000000000DF88E10 EAX: 0x00007FF9596D3880

EBX: 0x000000000DE1E980 ECX: 0x000000000DF88E10 EDX: 0x0000000000000001

EIP: 0x00007FF959711732 EBP: 0x000000000DF59860 SegCs: 0x0000000000000033

EFlags: 0x0000000000010206 ESP: 0x000000000AE462B0 SegSs: 0x000000000000002B

Exception Info 

ExpCode: 0xC0000005 (Access Violation)

ExpFlags: 0 

ExpAddress: 0x00007FF959711732

Build & Runtime Info 

User: USERNAME

Version: 20160720-180331-purple-razzmatazz 

File Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\DOOM Demo\DOOMx64vk.exe 

System Time: 1/9/2018 16:27:54 

Build String: 20160720-180331-purple-razzmatazz 

VT File Path: 

VMTR Override: generated/pagefiles 

Launch Command: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\DOOM Demo\DOOMx64vk.exe" +r_renderAPI -2 +com_gameMode 1 +com_restarted 1 

Memory Info 

In Use: 13% 

MB Physical RAM: 32709 

MB Physical Free: 28382 

MB Paging File: 65477 

MB Paging Free: 59123 

MB User Address: 134217728 

MB User Free: 134216647 

CPU Info 

Num Packages: 1 

Num Cores: 4 

Num Logical: 8 

CPU ID: Generic 

CPU MHz: 4000 

I have shown that the Doom Demo fatals consistently on R9 Nano, GTX780Ti, and R9 280x with various drivers.
Your only option seems to be to edit the Doom Demo settings file I mentioned above ( Change r_renderAPI "1" to r_renderAPI "0" )
to get Doom back to running under OpenGL 4.5

I will file an AMD Reporting Form pointing to this thread, and I have submitted the crash reports to id software.

Hope this helped you out.

Bye.

0 Likes

Yes, I know about the console command.

No, lowering settings did not help.. Doom Demo Vulkan is completely broken for me.

0 Likes

RE: :Yes, I know about the console command.

It is a command you need to edit in a settings file I described.  Since you know about it, set it to 0 and it will launch Doom in OpenGL. You can then run the Demo in OpenGL instead of Vulkan. If you like the Demo in OpenGL then please purchase the game and when you purchase the game Vulkan should run fine on Adrenalin 17.12.2 Driver.

If it does not work then ask Steam for a refund. The only difference you will see in Vulkan is higher FPS versus OpenGL, and maybe, like I did, a bit of texture flicker in a few places. Elsewhere it runs fine in Vulkan.

I even managed to get Doom to run in Vulkan on an R9 280x in a "Mining Adapter"  .... i.e. a PCIIe2.0 to USB3.0 to PCIex16 Graphics Card Adapter. It runs surprisingly well. Here is the Viideo:
colesdav - Running Doom on High settings at 1080p using a "Mining Adapter" - PCIe2.0x1 - USB3.0- PCI...

RE: No, lowering settings did not help.. Doom Demo Vulkan is completely broken for me.

OK - I was just pointing  out what can happen if you run Doom on a  Higher Spec PC at high settings - those settings get saved to the "Cloud". If you then try to run the game on a low spec laptop you may hit problems because of the settings previously saved to the  "Cloud".

RE:Doom Demo Vulkan is completely broken for me.

Yes and Doom Demo Vulkan is completely broken for me also on GTX780Ti, R9 Nano, R9 280x with a range of old and new drivers which support Vulkan and I tested Windows 8.1 and 10. Yet the full Doom game (once purchased) works fine on Vulkan on those cards and those OS and Drivers.

I am convinced that Vulkan on the Doom Demo needs updating and does not run properly.
So the only thing you can do is contact the game developers and tell them about it.
I doubt they will spend time fixing Vulkan in the Demo though,  I think it has been broken for some time. They will likey prefer to spend time on supporting the real game.

You can also file one of these: AMD Issue Reporting Form
I have done that.

Point to this thread.

There is nothing else you can do.
Either purchase the full game if you like it or run the Demo on OpenGL until the game developers fix Vulkan in the Doom Demo.

Bye.

You can report this issue to Doom developers here: https://www.idsoftware.com/
I have done this.
I pointed to this thread.
Thats it. Nothing more can be done.

Hey great job, way to go above and beyond in figuring this out!

Thank you.
No problem.

0 Likes

Here is Doom (full game) running on i7-4790K + R9280x +32GB RAM on Vulkan.
There is some texture flicker which is not seen running on OpenGL, but it runs.
colesdav - Doom running on Vulkan on GCN 1.0 Sapphire R9 280x Vapor-X Tri-X with i7-4790K and 32GB o...

Note Radeon Chill is on hence the FPS varies wildly as Doom requires lots of mouse movement, and Chill Max is at 300 so I get ~ 55FPS with keyboard only input.
FPS Drops to 30 (Chill Min = 30 ) when stationary.

The Doom Demo fatals on the same machine.
I have already pointed you to the fatal information and a workaround to get you started running the Demo in OpenGL.

Bye.

0 Likes

Do you have the early demo, or the later released updated demo.

You could uninstall it, then reinstall, ,see what happens.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

If you cannot even get the demo to run it is possibly because you launched it in Vulkan mode, Vulkan fataled and now you cannot get back to running OpenGL.

Try this.
Under: C:\Users\Username\Saved Games\id Software\DOOM_SPDemo\base
you will find a file called
DOOMConfig.local

Open it with a text editor.

Here is my file:

// This file is for local settings only and will not be cloud synchronized

configVersion 7

r_shadowsDistanceFadeMultiplier "0.8"

r_shadowMaxStaleFrames "0,1,1,2,2"

vt_pageImageSizeUnique "4096"

vt_pageImageSizeVmtr "4096"

r_renderAPI "1"

r_mode "18"

r_physicalPagesAspectRatio "2"

r_vmtrPhysicalPagesAspectRatio "1"

r_shadowAtlasTileSize "1024"

r_shadowAtlasHeight "4096"

r_shadowAtlasWidth "4096"

Change r_renderAPI "1" to r_renderAPI "0"

save the file.

Doom demo should restart in OpenGL Mode.

Bye.

0 Likes