cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

mrrie92
Journeyman III

AMD A-10 and Radeon R9 380 4GB will bottleneck?

Hello everyone, i have a problem with my PC gaming. i have this specs :

- AMD A10-7850K APU with Radeon(TM) R7 Graphics

- AMD Radeon (TM) R9 380 Series 4GB

- Radeon Software Version 17.12.1

- 8GB Ram

- 1TB HDD

now i was wondering if this 2 pairs are bottlenecking my gaming performance? Because i am playing GTA 5 with lowest setting with on 25-30 fps during online, 40fps on single player mode. I check on a website bottleneck calculator, it says this 2 should be running fine. Even when im playing CSGO im getting 70-80 fps. Is this normal? Shouldn't suppose im getting more FPS? Because i used to own HD 7800 series (forgot which model and its dead now) and i get better FPS in both CSGO and GTA 5 then.

So any help will be appreciated!

0 Likes
9 Replies

You sure you're using the dedicated card and not the 7850K's integrated GPU?

0 Likes

Not to be said im 100% sure, but i do felt like im using the APU. But when

i did check my driver and game setting it did detect the GPU R9 380.

0 Likes

Typically speaking FM2+ Chipsets (A68, A78, X99) will default to Integrated Graphics [Auto] in the BIOS.

While it will also have Primary Graphics Adapter [NB PCIe Graphics / IGFX / PCI Graphics] as the Boot Queue.

With this said, when in Auto Mode *IF* you connect a Display to the IGFX HDMI / DisplayPort / VGA / DVI Ports on the Motherboard it will automatically switch to "Switchable Graphics" / "Hybrid Graphics" Mode, where the Integrated become Primary even if the Discreet Card is set as your Primary.

Only use the Discreet Card Display Ports (they support up to 3 Displays) should resolve this and switch your Integrate into (Disabled / Inactive) Mode. Failing that you can just manually disable it,. which is perhaps a good idea as it will be reserving 2GB of your System Memory for the Integrated Graphics... somewhat pointless if you're not using it.

Another alternative is via the Windows Device Manager, disable the R7 Graphics. Windows will then automatically switch the R9 380 to Primary.

If you're curious if any of your efforts have worked,. look at Radeon Settings > System

It will list all of the available Hardware and in the Brackets denote (Discreet) or (Integrated) plus the Primary will also be listed... it used to list Secondary, Tertiary, etc. but that's since been removed. Now it only shows which is Primary, which makes sense as unless you're using Hybrid / Switchable / Crossfire then what PCI Express Slot they're in is entirely unimportant for Multi-GPU... just that they're present matters.

0 Likes

Sorry i am not a very technical person about this. What i understand from

what you trying to say is, i have to manually switch the primary graphics

in the BIOS is it and disable the R7 in Windows manager right?

Thanks for helping

0 Likes

I already check windows manager and radeon settings, and most of it said im using the R9 380 gpu not the integrated. In BIOS i check the integrated gaphcis was set to auto. it only has 2 option, AUTO or FORCE, there was no disable.

Screenshot_1.png gp.png

0 Likes

Alright,. well the APU isn't the issue then.

Could you post an image of the Hardware Tab / GPU-Z for your R9 380?

Also could you list your Motherboard (CPU-Z should have it on the Motherboard Tab)

0 Likes

okay here it is

Screenshot_2.png Screenshot_3.png

0 Likes

Alright... well first things first, let's actually get your system updated:

(Motherboard BIOS Update - Version 3003 - 04 / 2016)

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketFM2/A88X-PLUS/A88X-PLUS-ASUS-3003.zip?_ga=2.109763462.2615...

The BIOS is fairly easy to update... just throw it on a USB Memory Stick and you should be able to access it from there,. you might also be able to update from the Internet but honest I've never had much luck doing that with ASUS Hardware

After you've done that (which should substantially improve Stability / Performance / Features),.

(GFX BIOS Update - Version 15.49.12 - 02 / 2016)

VGA Bios Collection: Asus R9 380 4096 MB | TechPowerUp (Manual Updating)

https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/STRIXR9380DC2OC4GD5GAMING/HelpDesk_BIOS/ (Asus Updater)

The Motherboard Update is more important here,. as it's missing Features that even the A68/A78 have.

I'd also suggest double checking that you have the Graphics Card in the Primary PCIe x16 Slot (the one nearest the CPU).

I'm curious as to why the GPU is Tonga (285) instead of Antigua (380) ... doesn't make much difference as Antigua is an Optimised / Improved Tonga but still, it's interesting non-the-less.

Anyhow, try those updates see if they make any difference... they should; or at the very least provide better Motherboard BIOS Options.

0 Likes

Already update the motherboard, still the same. GTA 5 running 19-35 fps (both in low and ultra settings). Could be hardware faulty? Or something is missing?

0 Likes