cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

maximus_jw
Adept I

RX580 crossfire crash and reboot during gaming

I had recently purchased 2 MSI RX580 Gaming X 8G cards. I tested the crossfire function with Furmark, 3D mark, and heaven 4.0 for hours without any issue. Also, individual cards seem work OK except some artifacts can be observed when I install and uninstall the drivers (not always). I use Tomb Raider (2013) and Nier: Automata to test the Crossfire Function, and I got randomly reboot during gaming. I keep everything in stock but the restarting persists.

I first suspects one of the card is defect, but I haven't seen any reboot issue when using individual card. Also, both cards works great in ETH mining without any errors. So, could it be that the PCIE 2.0 x 4 is causing the issue in Crossfire mode? Why everything works fine in those benchmark and test programs? Thank you!

System

• AMD Graphics Card
    • RX580 8G x 2

Operating System

• E.g. Windows 10 64bit
  • Driver version installed
    • Tried multiple versions, including the newest.
  • Display Devices
    • DVI-D to monitor
    • HDMI to 4K TV
  • Motherboard + Bios Revision
    • Gigabyte Z97 HD3 Rev 2.1 (Pcie 3.0 x16 + Pcie 2.0 x4)
  • CPU
    • E3 1230 V3
  • EVGA 550 GS Gold (550Watt output)
  • RAM
    • 16GB DDR3 1600

0 Likes
1 Solution

I really think you might want a more powerful power supply to try. Still remember the +50 thing, I'd leave it set that way. I can't run my RX580 in a game without it. There are plenty of others in other threads who say the same. Many I wish you luck, I know it's frustrating.

View solution in original post

18 Replies

Start with a new higher wattage power supply (750-800W ?), you could ask on msi forum what others are using.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking that way too. But after I disable crossfire and use one of the cards to do mining or Furmark while using the other play games. It is OK. Also, the monitor shows more power draw when I did those tests comparing the pure gaming, which only draws around 360 watts (compare to over 450 watts when I push both CPU and GPUs to the limit).

Also, I saw the exact case in the forum. Although it is with RX480. RX 480 Crossfire crashes and restarts PC

0 Likes
rombat
Adept I

Sounds like Power Supply issue, if you look at the requirements for one 580 8gb they recommend a 500-watt power supply and you are running two... Try using an 850-watt power supply or even better a 1000-watt power supply.

0 Likes

Thanks for the reply. That's what I suspect at the beginning, but I had tried to put on my old GTX770 with one of the RX580. Then, I use RX580 doing gaming while using GTX770 doing furmark (GTX770 draws around 230W from the PSU, far more than RX580). It works unbelievable stable. I switched to another RX580, and it worked well too. That's why I got confused.

Also, in the case described in the link, that guy used 1000W PSU, but the issue continued.

0 Likes
maximus_jw
Adept I

Updates: I have tried to use one of the 2 cards play the exact game, while the other one doing mining. It works perfectly well. And I also switched the PCIE lane. Nothing happened. Now I probably have to try a new PSU, which is my last option.

0 Likes

Update 2: Tried with a new EVGA 750W PSU, tested for half a day, no rebooting issue now,  but there is still some artifacts(sometimes).

0 Likes

Set your power limit in radeon settings /  wattman to +50 before changing anything and see if that helps.

0 Likes

I have tried it and the issue persists. I have also tried to tweak the settings in Wattman and set the last 5 states identical. Nothing changes.

0 Likes

I really think you might want a more powerful power supply to try. Still remember the +50 thing, I'd leave it set that way. I can't run my RX580 in a game without it. There are plenty of others in other threads who say the same. Many I wish you luck, I know it's frustrating.

Sorry if somehow you thought I had a multi gpu setup. I don't and never have. Since their inception, I've heeded the advice from others saying it's not worth the headache it adds. I don't even know that any of what others I have read are crossfire or multi gpu either.

But since you are the one bringing up HEAT as an issue, I absolutely have severe heat issues with my XFX RX 580 at default driver settings. I have to use a custom fan profile for mine to work properly. I have my fan profile set up to kick on earlier and to run faster than defaults. Doing that has made my system very stable. I also use an open case, I also kick on desktop fan I have pointed inside when I game. I tend to keep my systems a long time. Each machine probably will see 3-5 video cards before being replaced. So the a little extra wind keeps all the components kicking!

When I get home tonight, I will seen if I can't get a screen shot of my fan settings and post it here for you. Just gotta figure out how to post it here.

That's pretty cool idea using the fog to illustrate. My case is a benchmarking case like the ones you see in tech videos. It's open all the way around so heat is pretty much never an issue, unless the device itself is the issue. Which is the case with my XFX. The bios runs fans like it's a reference model, yet it is their highest overclocked model sold. I didn't overclock it, they did. But a couple of slider changes, fixes things right up! But pressure makes all the difference no doubt. Your home h&c works the same way.

0 Likes

are both GPUs clocked the same? and do you have them next to eachother? so maybe one gets to hot - or what i think is that the VRMs or the Ram will be to hot

try to reduce Voltage a little (should be possible without downclocking)
try to have a fan blowing on the backplate of both cards

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS
0 Likes

Yes, I kept them both at stock. The heat is not what causing it as it only reached around 65 at most.(I opened the case when I did the test)

0 Likes
benman2785
Big Boss

ok watch this - Computer Case Airflow - What is Positive and Negative Pressure?

and have in mind - you NEED atleast one fan in the front (2 would be better) blowing in AND one fan at the rear blowing out of the case
that can reduce your case-temps by 6-15°C what can make a HUGE difference

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS
maximus_jw
Adept I

Latest update:

I just want to write this down and may be it would be useful for people having the same issue. Special thanks to goodplay​;rombat​; pokester​;benman2785​.

Start with the result: I fixed this issue by replacing my EVGA 550 GS by EVGA 750 G3. So, clearly, it is a PSU related issue.

However, it is actually not because that my EVGA 550 cannot feed RX580 x 2. It actually can feed a GTX770 (a dual 8pin monster) plus a RX580. I tried using RX580 playing games while use the other one does mining (Consuming about 570 watts from the monitor). I touched the PSU, it is just warm.

Also, I can use one 580 do the mining, or whatever creates high GPU load, while using the other one play game. 0 issue. The monitor showed the watts consumed jumping from 270 - 450.

But, whenever I enable crossfireX function, I will for sure get reboot within 1 hour playing.

So, my guess is that the CrossfireX function is more sensitive to the stability of the power provided by the PSU. You probably needs a tier1 and sufficient PSU to support the CrossFireX function.

It took me at least 3 days do all kinds of test and change different combinations of  hardware to identify the issue.

Thanks to all the guys that provided me their ideas.

No doubt that stability of the rails can be a huge factor. I've seen two of the same models right next to each other not test the same. That's why its always a good idea to have more power than you need. I am only running the one GPU and I have a 650w Gold+ Corsair. All power supplies are definitely not created equally. I have good luck with those EVGA's too! I put one like yours in my sons gaming rig been running solid 2 years now.

0 Likes

lol, have your sons noticed that? What's the temperature of your rig? One of my cards runs at around 67 C. I have already devoltage (-100mV) and under clock (1170mhz).  

0 Likes

even under full load my gpu doesn't go above about 63 c. My son is not into the tech side of things at all. He just plays the games.

0 Likes