cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

motsu
Journeyman III

Question about openCL support on the rx 550

Hello, so i wanted to follow up on the message posted here: Re: Q: How can i get OpenCL on Ubuntu 16.04.2 to see the GPU RX550 as the second platform/adapter

It has been almost 2 months, and i have not seen any change in the drivers available for linux. I have also tried rocm and the non proprietary drivers, and in all the rx550 does not show up, and segfaults many opencl programs due to not cards being recognized.

Is there any known work around to this that are known, or an ETA on when the working internal drivers will be released?

7 Replies
dipak
Big Boss

Hi,

As I've been informed, OpenCL is not supported on Lexa cards (e.g. RX 550) with the latest AMDGPU PRO. Already concerned team is in process to update the release note accordingly. Also, there is no ETA at this moment for adding the support.

P.S. Though OpenCL is not supported, RX 550 is compatible with the base driver, hence there is no issue with the installation.

Regards,

0 Likes

Just curious. Is it only OpenCL not supported on Polaris 12 and that HIP can work on Polaris 12 cards. Or the entire compute stack doesn't work on Polaris 12 cards?

0 Likes

Hi Marten,

Is HIP referring to the ROCm HCC/HIP?  If so, ROCm does not support Lexa either, AFAIK.

Lexa is only supported on Windows by OpenCL.  HCC/HIP only supported on ROCm; no Windows support.

Regards,

0 Likes

Is Lexa support on ROCm planned? It'll be really nice to have low cost cards that can run ROCm for teaching and low power applications.

0 Likes

Sorry, I'm not aware of any such plan at this moment.

0 Likes

This beta driver introduces initial OpenCL support for RX 550: AMDGPU-Pro Beta Driver for Linux®  Release Notes

0 Likes

Please do, I checked the release notes to ensure openCL comparability before buying... I stocked an entire computer lab with rx 550's in order to teach a class on gpgpu / openCL development in linux.

This is ridiculous, I've been an AMD fan and have solely bought amd/ati cards throughout the past 10+ years... ive always been happy with them, and never understood the internets joking about "amd got no drivers". Guess i get it now.

0 Likes