Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

manvis
Journeyman III

Thesis program that uses Vulkan crashing on an AMD GPU

Hello.

I'm working on a Masters thesis about rendering algorithms and researching Vulkan for my thesis advisor at the same time. I've run into a bit of trouble. You see, among the people I know, I've only been able to find a single AMD GPU user. He has a Radeon HD 7800 and told me that my program crashes when trying to run the deferred tiled renderer.

Unfortunately, my university didn't help much either since the only Vulkan capable AMD GPUs I've found are inside the holy iMacs that I wasn't allowed to defile by Bootcamping Windows.

The program runs fine on non-AMD GPUs. So I guess that I'm either doing something wrong and AMD GPUs are less lenient about it or the problem is in that guy's PC. The validation layers only emit a single perf warning and nothing more serious.

I'd be really grateful if someone who owns an AMD GPU could start the program, switch to the 3rd algorithm out of 5 in the dropdown (the GUI's in my native Lithuanian. Sorry) and tell me if it crashes or not. I'd really appreciate a stack trace if it does, because I currently have no clue on what's going wrong.

While I'd love to share the source code as well, some people at my university don't like when students do that before the thesis defense and I'd rather avoid the potential trouble.

Here's a link to my program: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B9GqACYn0ETzajNRSUlReWpGeHM?usp=sharing

Some other potentially useful notes:

• Press Q to quit, right mouse + WASD to move the camera
  • This is a build with debug symbols using GCC on Linux and MinGW64 on Windows.
0 Likes
3 Replies
tugrul_512bit
Adept III

R7-240 crashes as soon as a window opens. This card is 1 step newer than Hd7800 series.

0 Likes
dwitczak
Staff

I'm going to need to have access to the source code, if you'd like us to investigate the problem from our end. Please see the private message I'm going to send you in a second for more details.

0 Likes

I think we actually can considered this an answered post. For the public information, there were app- and driver-side issues that we discovered while working with Manvydas.

0 Likes