cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

boxerab
Challenger

clCreateProgramWithBinary crashes trying to load binary generated with latest drivers

RX 470 4GB

Windows 10 64 bit

Radeon Settings Version - 2017.0331.729.11648

Driver Packaging Version - 17.10.1061-170331a-312788E-CrimsonReLive

OpenCL™ Version - 22.19.156.1

I generate the binary from my kernel using flags  " -fno-bin-llvmir -fno-bin-amdil -fno-bin-source"

but when I try to load the binary, the system crashes with an access violation exception.

This used to work, about a month ago.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Happy to report that this issue is fixed in the latest driver version : 17.5.2

View solution in original post

12 Replies
dipak
Big Boss

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for reporting this. Please share the binary so we could investigate the problem. Also it would be helpful if you can share the driver version  where it worked fine.

Regards,

0 Likes

Thanks, Dipak. I can't share the binary, also I don't have the driver version where it worked. Also,

after further tests, the build flags don't matter -still crashes when trying to create program. So, my guess is that any binary

built with latest driver on Ellesmere/Windows 10 will not work.

0 Likes

Hi Aaron,

I understand your privacy concern. However, we need a repro binary to investigate the issue (if any).  If you think the issue could be reproducible with any other binary too, please share any one that reproduces the crash. Also, as you mentioned that the binary was working fine a month ago, the driver information would help us to find the regression point quickly.

Regards,

0 Likes

Hi Dipak,

I understand your points. First, would you mind asking QA if they can successfully create a binary and then load that binary

without a crash, for windows 10 + Polaris + latest driver ? If they can, then I will share one of my crashing kernels.

But, my guess is that they won't be able to   Also, unfortunately, I don't remember which version was working .

Regards,

Aaron

0 Likes

Sure, I'll report it. Btw, there is a way where you don't need to provide any binary. Actually there are many SDK samples that support generation and consumption of device binary with command line options "--dump" and "--load" respectively. Could you please quickly check any one or two samples (say  "Histogram" or "SVMBinaryTreeSearch") and let me know your observation. If you still see the crash then I can easily refer the sample to the team.

Regards,

0 Likes

Thanks, Dipak. I tried Histogram with command line arg  "--dump foo" but it crashed on clBuildProgram.

0 Likes

Hi Aaron,

It's a little bit surprising to me. As loading the binary is the issue here, I was expecting a crash(if any) during the binary "load", not at "dump" time. It means that the program was unable to build the kernel from source only. It's something different than the loading problem. Are other OpenCL programs building and running fine on your setup? Is the same sample working fine without these arguments? If not, then there might be other issue too. Please check.

Regards,

0 Likes

Yes, I will try to uninstall and reinstall drivers.

I did verify that everything works fine on my other system : windows 7 + capeverde card.

0 Likes

I did a fresh install of windows 10 and latest Crimson driver, and this is still happening.

What is the best way of sending a binary kernel to you guys ?

0 Likes

If the binary size is small, you can send the binary directly to my official email (shared via a PM). Otherwise you can upload the binary (better to be password protected) to any public repository and share me the link and password via a PM.

Regards,

0 Likes

Hi Aaron,

I've opened a ticket with the repro binary you provided. I'll get back to you once I've any update.

Regards,

0 Likes

Happy to report that this issue is fixed in the latest driver version : 17.5.2