cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

yurtesen
Miniboss

All apps which use EGL crash

I am using AMDGPU-PRO 16.60 drivers on Ubuntu 16.04 and well all apps which use EGL crash at eglInitialize with SIGSEGV

Here is a sample app which crashes for testing purposes

https://wiki.maemo.org/SimpleGL_example

This seems to be going on since mid 2016!

Everything that uses EGL segfaults with AMDGPU-PRO on Ubuntu 16.04? - Phoronix Forums

Is there any work being done to get this fixed? It appears people are using the open source driver instead which works...

18 Replies
dwitczak
Staff

Thank you for the report. I've passed this question to the relevant team. Will get back to you as soon as I hear back.

0 Likes

I am afraid we no longer support OpenGL ES in our driver.

0 Likes

dwitczak​​ Thank you for the quick response. So, if I am understanding this correctly, your response means that you accept it is a bug right? Because AMD GPUs are advertising ES support, but you say AMD doesn't support it. So all apps which support ES do crash. If the driver did not claim, erroneously, that it supports ES to begin with, then this wouldn't be a problem at all. According to your answer, the fix is to remove the code which erroneously advertises ES support. Can you tell when this will be fixed then? What does the "relevant team" say about this?

To be honest, there are things I don't understand related to your answer. I would be glad if you can answer the following questions also.

* AMD is still shipping libgles2 packages in its 16.60 driver. Can you also explain why it is shipped if it is not supported?

* Also AMD is providing an OpenGL ES SDK. If it is not supported, why this is not removed from site?

http://developer.amd.com/tools-and-sdks/graphics-development/amd-opengl-es-sdk/

BTW both Nvidia and Intel supports OpenGL ES 3.x+. Not supporting any version of ES seems to be a bad business decision, if it causes many critical compatibility issues.

NVIDIA Releases "OpenGL 2015" + OpenGL ES 3.2 Linux Driver - Phoronix

See platform usage:

OpenGL ES - Wikipedia

0 Likes

I'm working on getting a more thorough answer on this one. Thank you for your patience.

0 Likes

dwitczak​ , dont worry, I know your problem, happens to me every time I submit a bug report. AMD support works in a way that you get a fast answer only if something is not supported, and no response if there is something to get fixed

0 Likes

I can confirm our ES support has become broken under Linux with introduction of the new AMD Linux driver architecture in 2016. This is a known issue and we are working on getting the support back in the near future.

We are also going to update the OpenGL ES SDK page to clarify the situation.

Thanks again for raising this.

0 Likes

@dwitczak  thank you for gathering this information and sorry that I responded so late, I was quite sick so could not respond earlier.

I dont really understand the logic behind this. Shouldn't AMD disable the ES support completely until it at least works somewhat? Because now few apps not starting at all forcing me to use open source drivers. If AMD knew about this for so long time, I don't understand why they kept releasing drivers which claimed ES support but it was actually causing apps to crash. If this gets out, I bet competitors would start rumors that AMD was "fake" supporting ES for keeping up apparences. So, it makes little sense to take chances....

Anyway, is it possible to tell any ETA about fixing of this problem? next driver release? 1 year? 2+ years?

0 Likes

I just re-checked the SDK page and it is not updated (as far as I can tell)

0 Likes

Yeah, it's being worked on. Apologies for the delay.

0 Likes

Thank you, there are many people having this problem with many different diver supported GPUs. R9 290, RX 460 etc.

You can find many posts of this problem online and what is more disturbing is people get advice to buy Nvidia hardware or use Intel GPUs because AMD has always bad support.

Who can argue, since this problem was known since mid 2016 and open source driver works and can be examined as an example. Yet, AMD didn't fix the problem yet.

amdgpu-pro-16.50 Segfault, 16.60 duplicate symbol, 16.40 init issue.

http://iptvkodim3u.com/2017/02/12/amdgpu-pro-crashes-kodi-17/

0 Likes

Thanks for highlighting this. I don't look over OpenGL stack, so I can't help much but I've asked internally to have somebody look into that thread. That's as much as I can do.

0 Likes
yurtesen
Miniboss

dwitczak​ I tried 17.10 driver and it is even worse. But, first of all, if AMD knows EGL is not working, why it is not listed in Known Issues section of the driver release???

First I have this error:

[   416.343] (II) AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI2 capable

[   416.343] (EE) AIGLX: reverting to software rendering

[   416.362] (EE) AIGLX error: dlopen of /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/swrast_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/swrast_dri.so: undefined symbol: is64bitelf)

[   416.362] (EE) GLX: could not load software renderer

[   416.362] (II) GLX: no usable GL providers found for screen 0

Apparently I am not the only person who has this problem because I found it on Reddit -> https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxhardware/comments/5xgio2/steam_doesnt_work_with_amdgpupro_driver/

I dont know if EGL problem exists or not anymore because even GL does not work anymore!!!

Also if I use VGA output the driver crashes...this was working with 16.60 (I re-tested it and it works with 16.60 still)

0 Likes

Checking internally, will get back to you as soon as I hear back.

0 Likes

dwitczak​ thank you, but I still don't understand why these issues are not in the Known Issues section of the driver. You can also find plenty of issues for every version of the driver here https://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum/linux-graphics-x-org-drivers/amd-linux  it looks like new drivers mostly do not function one way or another, yet people are left alone to try and find the problems by failing. This wastes people's time and nerves!

At least for me, I could not use OpenCL since fglrx drivers. I eventually had to upgrade my ubuntu boxes, now nothing works. Anyway my point is that the last driver which worked fine was released in 2015.

To be honest, when I tell this to people, they ask why I don't switch to Nvidia and they have a point. It was a big mistake for AMD to not support cards like Tahiti cards which are not that old and have very good FP support with OpenCL. I know people who has clusters which contain "many" AMD cards and they can't upgrade the OS they use. They swear they will never buy AMD products anymore.

If AMD can't comprehend the damage they are doing to themselves, they deserve to fail. I haven't seen anything managed as badly as this. I am not happy...

0 Likes

As for OpenCL issues, please consider posting the bug report on the relevant dev forum. Thanks.

0 Likes

Please note that neither EGL nor OpenGL ES are listed as supported APIs in Linux Pro release note: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMDGPU-PRO-Driver-for-Linux-Release-Notes.aspx , which is why the known issues list does not mention of the two:

>>

• Supported APIs:
    • OpenGL 4.5 and GLX 1.4
    • OpenCL™1.2
    • Vulkan™ 1.0
    • VDPAU

<<

0 Likes

dwitczak​ This was already discussed, if AMD does not support it, they should remove it completely. The driver itself reports it supports it, AMDGPU-PRO ships packages for OpenGL ES. It should fall back to software rendering if it does not support it.

To be honest, using release notes is a lame excuse because obviously somebody forgot to mention it (considering all the effort given for shipping binaries for those supposedly unsupported features). If you look at the FGLRX driver release notes, you can see that it DOES NOT support anything, right? Because no APIs are listed there? -->

AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition Linux 15.12 Proprietary Graphics Driver Release Notes

You have to understand that the driver is causing applications to crash. This is a bug whether you support something or not.

0 Likes

@dwitczak The problem is not about supporting OpenGL ES or EGL etc. the driver is causing applications to crash. This is a bug, whether these features are supported or not are irrelevant. There are drivers without these features and they do not cause crashes. I am now using the linux `radeon` driver on all my machines because amdgpu-pro does not function.  Although, `radeon` driver practically support no feature, it does not cause applications to crash!

0 Likes