I started using my Radeon R9 390 GPU about a year ago with no problems. several months ago I updated from Win 7 to Win 10 (64) and there have been no issues.
Recently (I believe after AMD updates) I started having a black screen error
The screen goes black. The monitor is still on. Programs stop working. After waiting a long time, nothing happens and so I am forced to manually shut down and reboot. Each dhut down like this makes Windows very unhappy and it takes a long time to boot back up.
The screen goes black:
- Frequently happens when moving the mouse after being idle
- Sometimes when the Radeon Settings load, 5-10 minutes after boot
- Sometimes during the Windows password screen (once or twice)
- Other completely random times
I have not tried to play any PC games during this time.
- Reviewing & changing power save/screen saver Windows settings
- Checking GPU heat (problem happens as low as 40-50 Celsius)
- Reverting to last graphics card drivers
- Reviewing event log. Nothing of note during "black screen" crash
- Full virus scan
- Manually updating to the latest AMD drivers
- changing some Radeon settings
I have tried booting into safe mode to uninstall card, then rebooting. The card updates automatically and the problem is solved temporarily. Some hours later, the problem comes back in full force.
I uninstalled and unmounted my Radeon R9 390 GPU and mounted and installed an older GPU. The problem seems to have gone away now.
The Radeon R9 390 is a new expensive GPU and I would rather not have to toss it.
Please help me to get this GPU functioning properly again.