Describe your system:

• Graphics Card
        • ASUS ROG STRIX RX 480 8G
      • OS
        • Windows 10 64bit
      • Drivers
        • Multiple tested including 16.12.2
      • Monitor
        • ASUS VG248QE 24" @144HZ DVI and @60HZ HDMI(Tried both connections multiple times)
      • Motherboard
        • Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX Motherboard Socket LGA 1150
      • CPU
        • Intel Core i5 4670k Unlocked Quad Core 3.4GHZ Processor LGA1150 Haswell 6MB Cache
      • Power Supply
        • Corsair Enthusiast TX750M 750W ATX Modular Power Supply
      • RAM
        • Corsair Vengeance 8GB(2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B

I recently purchased this card to replace a 7950 that died out of warranty on me. I never had any troubles with the previous card and everything started as soon as I had installed the new one. I get multiple different crashes/display issues with different games.

World of Warcraft + Total War:Warhammer

These 2 both always perform the same way. The game runs for about 1-2 hours, sometimes I get a display driver crash where the screen flickers black a few times and goes back to normal but the majority of the time the whole system crashes and I have to power it off. Once the computer starts up again the crashes start happening far more frequently, at least every 15-20 minutes of gameplay. This seems to "reset" after a day and I'll get another 1-2 hours of gameplay before the crashing starts again.

The Division

The crashes in this one vary a bit, sometimes crashing after 15 minutes other times it'll last an hour. I do not get any driver crashes the game just crashes and sends me to desktop with no error messages. If I start up the game again it will crash within 5 minutes and it ends up taking Radeon Settings with it forcing me to restart to get it going again.

Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak/The Long Dark

These 2 are a bit strange in what ends up happening. Homeworld never actually crashes but there is a noticable flashing of strange circles appearing on the screen, the circles are opaque and vary in colour, if you think of the standard "you're aimed at the sun" light effect that's what they resemble but they only appear for a split second. The Long Dark has the same issue with the lights but it also suffers from the previous crashing issues where it takes the whole system with it, I barely get 5 minutes of sitting in the menu of this game before it goes.

I have tried multiple different driver versions, using DDU in safe mode to install drivers every time, this has had no effect. I went as far back as 16.7.1.

I made sure my motherboard BIOS were fully up to date.

I attempted undervolting the card slightly(setting the upper limits in Wattman to 1050) this had no effect either.

I tried swapping out connections using a DVI and then HDMI connection this had no effect either other than reducing the voltage buzz coming into my headphones during a game presumably due to the lowered refresh rate.

I uninstalled my anti-virus, disabled windows defender and tried installing drivers that way, still no difference.

I've tried setting Wattman to record the status of the card during these games(i think it's the histogram setting) this is a bit inconsistent but in the games where it actually does display the temperature does not appear to go above 60 degrees.

I have managed to play some games without encountering any issues but these were usually quite old games. Any help or advice would be appreciated I would prefer to avoid RMAing but at this stage I can't see any other option that doesn't involve a hammer.

• Re: RX 480 Crashing repeatedly in multiple games
          redfury

1.Have you any overclocking in your system?

2.I recommend you to reinstall OS or perform win10 FULL reset.

3.Run HWinfo64>sensors only> Logging Start and play for 20-30 min (I want to see this log)

sens log.JPG

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              rebrabuk

1. No I haven't overclocked anything, I did build this system originally planning to overclock but decided not to.

2. I really do not want to reinstall/reset windows I've already spent a significant amount of time and energy trying to get this card working, if it comes to it I'm just going to try for an RMA.

3. I'm attaching the log here, it's from about 30 minutes of me trying to play The Division. I got about 10-15 minutes playtime at the start and then repeatedly crashed each time i started where it would only last about 1-2 minutes before crashing.

redfury

Your problem looks like hardware issue.

Your GPU VRAM has errors. I don't know how important is this fact, but i suggest you to downclock GPU memory to 1700-1800 MHz(from 2000 MHz)

And disable IGPU in BIOS.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                      rebrabuk

I've disabled my iGPU bit surprised it was still I thought it would switch off automatically after detecting another card.

How do I downclock my memory? This doesn't seem possible in Wattman as it is locked to a minimum of 2000 with no option go lower.

rebrabuk

Disabling IGPU had no affect unfortunately. I tried downvolting the GPU and Memory again and it simply resulting in everything crashing almost instantly. I'm just going to claim the warranty and return it to my retailer this isn't worth all the hassle.

Thank you for your help.

redfury

No. Not downvolting.

In WattMan you mast set power limit to max value (+50)

Install MSI afterburner. It can tweak GPU chip and memory clock. But it not compatible with 16.12.x drivers. You need 16.11.5

andreluisos

redfury escreveu:

No. Not downvolting.

In WattMan you mast set power limit to max value (+50)

Install MSI afterburner. It can tweak GPU chip and memory clock. But it not compatible with 16.12.x drivers. You need 16.11.5

Setting power limit to +50 doesnt work for me.

redfury

It will not work if your problem is not related to voltage control.

I meant that +50 is much better than downvolting, when you have unstable GPU.

In your case dependence on number of physical CPU cores looks strange and forces me think that your problem is not related to GPU.

andreluisos

What do you think it is? Could it be a CPU issue (since it doesnt crash when using another cpu) even if it doesn't crash with the driver version 16.5? I also tried the iGPU and GTS 450, which work great.

Thanks for answering.

redfury

I think you should contact to Lineage support. Maybe it is just combination of number and type of physical CPU cores + specific GPU + AMD drivers + OS behavior + number of game instances + amount of RAM + amount of swap size.

If you will get there any additional info, it will help me to better understand your situation.

andreluisos

Whenever I open more than one Lineage II instances (it's very common to open more than one instance of this game) the driver will crash. Sometimes two and and three instances makes the driver crashes. The screen dims for 1~3 seconds, sometimes all the game instances are switched from windowed to full screen mode and then I get the "Default Radeon WattMan settings have been restored due to unexpected system failure" message. It's very annoying, kills the gameplay and keeps happening unstoppable.

If you don't load AMD Settings app, the "Default Radeon WattMan settings have been restored due to unexpected system failure" wont happen, but the screen still dims and sometimes the game instances are switched from windowed to full screen mode.

However, it doesn't happen with Crimson 16.5.

A friend has the Sapphire RX 480 4GB version and he says he can run more than one game instances without any issues. He has the same motherboard (GA H97M-GAMING 3, same amount of RAM and a blocked version of i5 processor).

My setup:

GA H97M-GAMING 3

i5 4690k

16GB DDR3 RAM

ASUS RX 480 STRIX 8GB

DELL S2340L 1920x1080 60Hz DISPLAY (HDMI)

EVGA 650W 80+ GOLD PSU

Thank you so much for answering, redfury!

destebanb

I don't think that the GPU is faulty, I had the same issues but first put the GPU on another configuration and it ran just fine, I bought a new UPS and the crashs persisted, so it wasn't the UPS...and from now and then I've trying several things untill I found this post, and as redfury suggested I did some downclock to the GPU Memory, first as he said to 1800 mhz, and everything went fine no crashes at all at any game or benchmark, and I start to "play" with the memory clock going up first to 1850 mhz, and again..without crashes...and so on untill I hit the 1975 mhz and everything is perfect, finally I can play without crashes at all.

As redfury said is indeed a hardware issue but in my case I think it has somenthing to do with the motherboard.

Thanks and Sorry for my bad english.

-krayon-

Am on the same boat over here.
                                  It crashes with the division, doom and the rise of tomb raider.

EDIT:
                                  My system

• Graphics Card
                                    • MSI GAMING XRX 480 8G
                                  • OS
                                    • Windows 10 64bit
                                  • Drivers
                                    • Multiple tested including 16.12.1
                                  • GPU Bios
                                    • Updates to last version.
                                  • Monitor
                                    • AOC Q2963 2560x1080
                                  • Motherboard
                                    • MSIkrait gaming Z170
                                  • CPU
                                    • Intel Core i7 6700
                                  • Power Supply
                                    • Antec earthwatts 650w 80plus
                                  • RAM
                                    • Corsair Vengeance 32GB(4 x 8GB) DDR4 Model 3200 Mhz
                                    andreluisos

Same here with Lineage 2 (when running multiple game instances).

Found out two things: driver 16.5 doesn't crash and I switching CPU to i3 4130 seemed to stop the crashes too.

Graphics Card

• ASUS RX 480 STRIX 8G
                                    • OS
                                      • Windows 10 64bit
                                    • Drivers
                                      • Every driver above 16.5 crashes.
                                    • GPU Bios
                                      • Latest version, F5
                                    • Monitor
                                      • DELL S2340L (1080p)
                                    • Motherboard
                                      • GA H97M-GAMING 3
                                    • CPU
                                      • Intel Core i5 4690k
                                    • Power Supply
                                      • EVGA 650W 80+ GOLD
                                    • RAM
                                      • Corsair Vengeance 16GB(2 x 8GB) DDR3
                                      ivaj12

I have the same issue, I have done almost the same thing as the author of this post. It freezes on every single game and reproduces a horrible noise. Only rebooting the system will get you out of that state.

*I replaced PSU, RAM

*updated drivers (16.12.2), BIOS (MB and GPU)

*full restart to windows

*undervolting

*+20% power (wattman)

Setup:

AMD FX-8350

MSI 970 GAMMING

XFX RX 480 8GB RS

HYPER X DDR3 8GB 1600 MHZ

THERMALTAKE 1200W

-krayon-

So yesterday i tried ALL of the suggestions in this thread, and none of them seems to do the trick...
                                        The one thing i couldn't do was install Crimson 16.11.5, it won't install the driver.
                                        I did this using DDU in safe mode, and with no antivirus.
                                        Am on the verge of refunding this card and getting another one while i still can :/