Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

boxerab
Challenger

Polaris driver bug

Hello,

I am having trouble with my video compression application

I am encoding either 2K (2048x1080) or 4K (4096x2160 RGB images. Encoding 2K runs fine, while 4K causes a crash

after 10 minutes or so.  This is a hard crash - once I exit the program, the computer stops working and I need to reboot.

I did an experiment and I disabled all of my kernels ( i.e. put a return as first statement), and application still crashes.

So, it looks like there is a problem either copying data from host to device, or from device to host, because with my experiment,

there is no compute going on.

Environment is:

Fresh windows 10 install

Latest Crimson driver

two 4 GB RX 470 cards (only running on one of them)

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Aaron

0 Likes
9 Replies
boxerab
Challenger

Seems to me that the issue must be related to handling large OpenCL images (larger than 30 MB).

Is there someone from AMD developer relations I can PM about this? This is a real show stopper for me.

I could provide a binary that crashes, to help reproduce. Very hard to get a source code reproducer.

0 Likes

Hi Aaron,

I've already reported your problem. I'll get back to you shortly.

Regards,

0 Likes

Thank you. I am trying to isolate the problem from my end.

0 Likes

Hi Aaron,

I've sent you a PM. Please check your inbox for details.

Regards,

0 Likes

Not sure if this is related, but I can get a completely repeatable hard crash on my system with a small modification to the ImageBandwidth

sample application.

To see the crash, just checkout my "crash" branch on github, and run the ImageBandwidth sample, with a 4 GB RX 470:

GitHub - boxerab/amd_ocl_samples at crash

0 Likes

Thanks for sharing the repro.

Regards,

0 Likes

No problem. So, from my experience, it looks like there are serious driver issues when allocating more than 2 GB of memory on a 4 GB card.

0 Likes
Ray_AMD
Community Manager

What is the application you are experiencing this issue with ?

0 Likes

This is my own application for video compression.

I started a company this year to do GPU video compression; target platform is AMD GPUs: Polaris and Vega.

It is very important for me to be able to handle 4K video. Polaris performs very nicely, fantastic price/ performance,

but it can't encode for longer than 10 minutes without crashing. For 2K video, it will run for many hours without any issue.

So, it looks like this is a problem with the size of the images and buffers. I read that over 10 MB or so, an open cl image transfer

to the card is handled differently than under 10 MB, so perhaps this is a hint about where the problem lies.

0 Likes