Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

cyseal
Elite

Blender Cycles and Crimson 16.11.5

Testing with Crimson 16.11.5

I used this test file ps test.blend from :anchor: T50082 OpenCL issue and motion blur (AMD 7870 Pitcairn)

Render time with 16.11.3 is 15.28 seconds

Render time with 16.11.5 is 53.78 seconds.

ps test161005.png

Difference is 40 seconds ! That is very noticable performance drop.

Memory usage and memory peak are the same.

0 Likes
18 Replies
dipak
Big Boss

H Sam,

Thanks for reporting. Actually a newer version (Crimson 16.11.5) is available now. Could you please check with that driver and share your observations?

Regards,

Additional testing with 16.11.5: in rendering process Blender stops and Windows is giving me the message something like

Driver stopped responding and has been recovered.

I haven't seen it clearly.

0 Likes

Hi Sam,

Here is my finding (please check the timing) after running the attached blender file with Crimson 16.11.5 using the latest blender build (blender-2.78-05b181f-win64).

ps test.jpg

I ran it for multiple times with the "Motion Blur" option and observed more or less similar timing (i.e. within 15-17 seconds). Only for the first run, the timing was higher (close to 60 seconds) because of the kernel loading and building.

Did you refer the first run timing? Or Did I miss something during the testing? Just want to make sure that we are on same page.

P.S. Rendering without the motion blur option, I got the same observation as you mentioned here :anchor: T50082 OpenCL issue and motion blur (AMD 7870 Pitcairn)

Regards,

0 Likes

Ah yes, when installing new version, kernel resets itself and takes more time to render in the first run. I forgot about that.

If you render without motion blur checked I got only 3.07 seconds to render but with almost black screen. User from the https://developer.blender.org/T50082

got 2.96 seconds without motion blur.

When I render more complex scene with sampling about 2000, Blender sometimes freezes and I got message about driver stoppped responding and had reset.

I used latest Blender version and 16.11.5.

ps test3.png

Is it possible to improve driver and OpenCl so that it loads the kernel faster and renders within 3 seconds particular scene?

0 Likes

So, long kernel loading time is the issue here. I'll check with some other drivers and get back to you.

Btw, do you know how to force the blender to load the render kernels each time so that we could get the same effect as first run?

Regards,

0 Likes

Yes, kernel loading and the black screen.

For example Fiji and Polaris (3xx and 4xx) cards do not have black screen issue. This was reported before.

Btw, do you know how to force the blender to load the render kernels each time so that we could get the same effect as first run?

Sorry, I don't know that.

0 Likes

Hi Sam,

Here are observations regarding the two issues.

Issue 1: Long time difference

Actually the time difference is not there if you consider the kernel loading time for both the cases. Normally kernel loading (hence compiling) happens for first run and it saves those compiled kernels (CLBIN files in <user>\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\<version>\cache\kernels). Next onward, it loads the compiled kernels if they exist (even though driver is different). So, the total render time is much less. I guess, your observed time difference is for that reason only. Please remove those CLBIN files before each run and check.

[As I checked for both the drivers with and without motion blur options, I didn't observe much difference. Please find the attached files for details.]

Issue 2: Not rendering properly without the motion blur option

My observation was same as yours. It's also working fine on Hawaii. So, as reported you earlier, the problem seems with SI cards only. I'll report this to concerned team.

Regards,

I saw the news for the AMD Radeon Software Crimson Relive Drivers Leaked, Massive Update

Will Cycles OpenCl fix for 7xxx cards be included ?

0 Likes

Doesn't seem so. With Crimson ReLive 16.12.1, rendering without the motion blur on SI cards looks improved though some issue is still there.

Regards,

0 Likes

Crimson Relive 16.12.2 (20.12.) doesn't work either.

crrelive 20 12.JPG

0 Likes

Thanks. I already opened a ticket against this issue. As per the last update, the issue is also reproducible with the latest internal builds and team is still investigating it. Please keep your patience.

Regards,

Hi Sam,

It seems that the issue is no longer reproducible with the latest daily build (blender-2.78-911544c-win64 from Blender ). Could you please check and share your observation?

Regards,

0 Likes

First time render passes fine.

But, if you

1) change material and roughness,

2) change lighting color,

3) load viewport

and then render again, it crashes the same.

Also, I've saw that when you load viewport, you wait to render kernels to load. But, if you click render image, render kernels are still loading as if they are for the first time.

Why do viewport render and normal render requires to do the same job ?

h1.JPG

0 Likes

and then render again, it crashes the same.

Is the crash specific to new blender build or existing one?

Actually, the issue reported earlier has been fixed from the blender side itself. The issue can still be reproduced with the older blender version.

Why do viewport render and normal render requires to do the same job ?

Sorry, I'm not much familiar with the blender, so, I couldn't provide you the answers. You may also check the blender forum for the same.

Regards,

0 Likes

dipak wrote:

Is the crash specific to new blender build or existing one?

Actually, the issue reported earlier has been fixed from the blender side itself. The issue can still be reproduced with the older blender version.

Crash occurs on blender-2.78.0-git.911544c-windows64 on Win 10/ AMD 7870

I will check it out. Could you point me to the link where this issue is reported and fixed. There are so many tasks and I can' find it.:anchor: Query: Open Tasks

0 Likes

Could you point me to the link where this issue is reported and fixed. There are so many tasks and I can' find it.:anchor: Query: Open Tasks

I didn't refer anything particular in that list. When our team tried to reproduce the issue with the latest daily blender build, they were unable to reproduce it. So, it seems that the issue has already been fixed.

Regards,

0 Likes

Did you test with internal drivers ?

I have tested with 16.12.2 and first time render passes normally. If you change something and if you load viewport, second render pass crashes.

This message CL_MEM_OBJECT_ALLOCATION ERROR, does it mean that in second render pass memory is not flushed ?

0 Likes

When our team tried to reproduce the issue with the latest daily blender build, they were unable to reproduce it.

Here, I referred the rendering issue reported initially, not the second render pass problem. I'll try to follow your steps to reproduce the crash. Please let me know if anything else needs to be set.

Regards,

0 Likes