Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

s0ulz
Journeyman III

Blender 2.78a Cycles Rendering with 5870 1GB

Hello dear Sirs at AMD,

for a very long time i have been trying to get cycles rendering under blender to work with my 5870 graphics card. I´am currently using Windows 10 Pro, with the last official Catalyst 15.7.1 version. I have a AMD Phenom2 1055T 6core CPU, 8GB or RAM and a M4A89GTD-pro/usb3 Motherboard and i use the latest Blender version 2.78a, just for info. I have put days of time into trying to figuring out whats going on. I have tried many different Blender versions, without success.

When i try to render under cycles with my GPU, for example a basic Cube with 1 light source or the famous "BMW1M-MikePan" file, this is what my Console tells me after 3 seconds:

/*

Device init success

Compiling base_kernel OpenCL kernel ...

Build flags: -D__NODES_MAX_GROUP__=0 -D__NODES_FEATURES__=4 -D__MAX_CLOSURE__=5 -D__NO_HAIR__ -D__NO_OBJECT_MOTION__ -D__NO_CAMERA_MOTION__ -D__NO_BAKING__ -D__NO_VOLUME__ -D__NO_SUBSURFACE__ -D__NO_BRANCHED_PATH__ -D__NO_PATCH_EVAL__

OpenCL kernel build output:

"C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.78\scripts\addons\cycles\kernel\kernels/opencl\../../kernel_projection.h", line 238: error:

expression must have pointer-to-struct-or-union type

float altitude = fabsf(safe_asinf(D->z));

^

1 error detected in the compilation of "C:\Users\s0uLz\AppData\Local\Temp\OCL1DFF.tmp.cl".

Frontend phase failed compilation.

OpenCL build failed: errors in console

Build error: CL_BUILD_PROGRAM_FAILURE

read exr tmp file: C:\Users\s0uLz\AppData\Local\Temp\blender_a00852\BMW1M-MikePan.blend_Scene_RenderLayer.exr

Error: OpenCL build failed: errors in console

*/

Help with this problem would be much appreciated!

Kind Regards

George

0 Likes
4 Replies
dipak
Big Boss

Hi George,

Welcome to AMD Devgurus... you have been whitelisted now.

For BMW1M-MikePan file, I also observed the same compilation error with catalyst 15.7.1 using my Hawaii card. However, older blenders versions such as 2.75a, 277a worked fine on that setup. Could you please check those older blender versions?

You may check the blender community to see if any driver/hardware limitation is there for that blender version.

Please note that 5870 is a quite old card and it (including many other pre-GCN products [see Legacy ]) has been moved to a legacy support model and no additional driver releases are planned. So, I don't think you will get any further updates for that card.

Just try another driver available for that card i.e. Crimson 16.2.1 Beta, if it works for you.

P.S. The BMW1M-MikePan file worked fine using Blender 2.78a with the latest driver.

Regards,

Can confirm same problem (Blender 2.78a, default settings, default cube, GPU rendering) with an R9 280 on Win 10 64bit with latest AMD drivers installed:

Device init success

Compiling base_kernel OpenCL kernel ...

Build flags: -D__NODES_MAX_GROUP__=3 -D__NODES_FEATURES__=15 -D__MAX_CLOSURE__=64 -D__NO_HAIR__ -D__NO_OBJECT_MOTION__ -D__NO_CAMERA_MOTION__ -D__NO_BAKING__ -D__NO_VOLUME__ -D__NO_SUBSURFACE__ -D__NO_BRANCHED_PATH__ -D__NO_PATCH_EVAL__

OpenCL kernel build output:

"C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.78\scripts\addons\cycles\kernel\kernels/opencl\../../kernel_projection.h", line 238: error:

expression must have pointer-to-struct-or-union type

float altitude = fabsf(safe_asinf(D->z));

^

1 error detected in the compilation of "C:\Users\Jan\AppData\Local\Temp\OCL3304T2.cl".

Frontend phase failed compilation.

OpenCL build failed: errors in console

Build error: CL_BUILD_PROGRAM_FAILURE

Worked in Blender 2.76 and 2.77a (default cube).

Yes, it seems that the error can also be found on Tahiti cards (so R9 280 AMD Radeon Rx 200 series - Wikipedia). As mentioned, I didn't observe the error on  Hawaii card. So, as I suspect, this compiler issue might be related to GCN 1.0 and lower devices. I'll report it to the concerned team.

P.S. I've whitelisted you so, now onwards you will be able to post anywhere in Devgurus.

Regards,

0 Likes

It seems that this issue has been already fixed by Blender team :https://developer.blender.org/T49897

Regards,