cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

vertex5
Journeyman III

vulkan driver issues

i'm writing a vulkan application and stumbled upon a couple of issues with the AMD vulkan drivers.

windows issues (using crimson 16.10.1)

The GPU load (and therefore, clock rate) is always at 100% when anything that uses vulkan is running, even with a frame rate cap. this does not happen with opengl or d3d. Is power management just not implemented at all yet with vulkan? if so, is there an ETA for it?

linux issues (using AMDGPU-PRO 16.30)

Calls to vkWaitForFences() always return VK_ERROR_INITIALIZATION_FAILED. The validation layers are enabled and don't report any problems and the exact same code works fine under windows, so i'm pretty sure this is a driver issue.

When using a FIFO swapchain, the driver seems to be busy-waiting for screen refresh, because one core is always at 100% usage.

my GPU is a r9 Fury Nitro

thanks

0 Likes
3 Replies
dwitczak
Staff

Thank you for the report.

A repro for the vkWaitForFences() issue would be much appreciated. A diff for one of the SDK's example apps would work just fine.

As for the other issues, I need to check internally. Will get back with more information shortly.

0 Likes

I just realized the cube lunarg sample fails because of this, even unmodified:

cube: /home/vertex/VulkanSamples/demos/cube.c:553: demo_flush_init_cmd: Assertion `!err' failed.

Aborted (core dumped)

which is:

err = vkWaitForFences(demo->device, 1, &fence, VK_TRUE, UINT64_MAX);

assert(!err);

maybe this is an installation issue. I'm using the AUR package .

0 Likes

Are you still experiencing the windows issue with the latest version of the crimson driver ?

0 Likes