cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

daniel-kish
Journeyman III

Enabling OpenCL with Radeon HD 7670m

Hello! I work and study in CAE/mathematical modeling field. Now I'm trying to use OpenCL on my laptop. According to all the utilities I've tried I have no OpenCL support (and sometimes don't even have my discrete card), although I know that it should have, at least early versions.

Laptop: HP Envy m6-1153er, Windows 8.1 64 bit;

Hardware: AMD Radeon HD 7670m; Intel HD Graphics 4000; Intel Core i5 CPU;

BIOS info: InsydeH20 Setup Utility Rev. 3.7; f.12;

The device manager recognizes both devices correctly (from the first glance). According to it both devices' drivers are 8.982.10.6000 from AMD.

FurMark didn't even recognize my dicrete card. It simply stated that I only have the Intel HD Graphics.

GPU Shark says the same.

GPU-Z tells me that I have both, but no OpenCL support on either of the devices. But on startup it emerges a message, saying that OpenCL lib call crashed while attempting to get OpenCL support info.

I've installed AMD APP SDK. I linked to the the libs residing in AMDAPPSDKROOT directory and included respective headers.

But the following code crashes (see GPU-Z error):

cl_uint n_plats=0u;
cl_int ret = clGetPlatformIDs(0,0,&n_plats);

I have been studying this problem for a week already and found some direct statements that it IS possible to use OpenCL on my Radeon card:

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro...uirements.html (Call me Mr. BrightSide, but I assume they should have tested it)

and

https://community.amd.com/thread/162244

The reasons I didn't use the second advices are it's not my computer they were talking about and as far as I know there exists quite a number of problems with [re|de]installing AMD drivers on Windows (Win 8.1 in particular) and especially on laptops with switchable graphics like mine (by the way I have never tried switchable thing out, so I don't know if it works).

Anyway I would like to use OpenCL on this computer, so if anyone has some knowledge, please share it with me.

P.S. I don't know if it's of any importance but C++ AMP, for instance, recognizes Intel HD Graphics card well, but not the Radeon.

3 Replies
daniel-kish
Journeyman III

I've resolved this issue on the Khronos forums. "Thanks" fro help.

0 Likes

How did you solve? Was it 32bit-64bit incompatibility or something?

0 Likes