cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

jombo23
Adept II

AMD OpenCL Powder toy

Hi all, I'm going to cut right to the chase.

Quite a few years ago, AMD modified a game called "The Powder Toy", to use OpenCL to accelerate the simulation, as seen here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PAiCinmP9Y

AMD never released the software shown in the video, and I was wondering if there was a reason behind it, or if they could possibly release the modified version of the game.

The game itself is open source and released under the GPLv3 license, so there shouldnt be any legal issues behind it unless it was done under some contract.

Thoughts AMD?

0 Likes
2 Replies
dipak
Big Boss

Hi Kyle,

As you know, at that time, OpenCL just came to the market as a new parallel computing language and framework, and the demo showed one of its power features: scaling. The referred video demonstrates how OpenCL can be used to scale an application without making changes to the application. I think, the application was modified to showcase the demo, not intended to release the modified software.

Regards,

0 Likes
tugrul_512bit
Adept III

I converted only pressure and air movement to opencl(3-5 x speedup) but I got other work so I couldn't complete but it scaled well with gpu. Particle calculations would be harder since they all update sequentially such that a particle could have different movement than a neighbour but in big picture they look like a real fluid.

0 Likes