cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

edwin12
Journeyman III

cl_khr_egl_image extension support in linux

I am investigation the linux (Ubuntu 16.04) support for the OpenCL extension cl_khr_egl_image on AMD HW. Link : cl_khr_egl_image

I had the following questions:

-Is this extension supported, if so, with what driver and HW.

-What is the roadmap to support it in the linux driver (opensource , hybrid)

Preferred I want to use this extension on an FirePro W4100 card with an opensource driver.

Is it possible to post the reported extensions by running the clinfo tool together with the driver version and HW

0 Likes
4 Replies
dipak
Big Boss

We don’t support any egl extensions. You can run clinfo to see supported extensions.

Regards,

0 Likes

Dipak, Thanks for into that EGL extensions are not supported on linux. Is this true for all versions of the linux driver, or only the AMD one (e.g. opensoure)

However I noticed that on Windows the extension cl_khr_d3d10_sharing is implemented that provides roughly the same functionality.

The goal is to render directly to an display /back buffer with OpenCL. I need this for video processing, and for us it does not make any sense to put a lot of effort in optimizing the processing with OpenCL and then waste a lot of bandwidth/cycles by unneeded copies/re-formatting.

Is there a specific reason why this is not supported on Linux (see my initial question below). Is it possible to add this in the latest hybrid driver ?

directly rendering with OpenCL to displaybuffer in linux with AMD HW

0 Likes

Is this true for all versions of the linux driver, or only the AMD one (e.g. opensoure)

Sorry, I'm unable to follow your question. AFAIK, the EGL extensions are not supported on AMD platform and this is applicable for all AMD drivers.

Regarding the referred thread, I'm checking with some experienced engineers. Once I get any answer, I'll get back to you.

Regards,

0 Likes

>Is this true for all versions of the linux driver, or only the AMD one (e.g. opensoure)

To my understanding there are many different drivers architectures for AMD. One is proprietary (closed source ) driver, open source driver and hybrid driver (latest development). I can image that not all type support the same extensions.

I can test with the cards I have (clinfo), but I am unable to buy a whole bunch of AMD graphics cards (new GPU architecture, old GPU architecture, Firepro , consumer card) and test with different types of drivers to find out what card supports what.

Other brands have an extension with similar functionality for Linux, but I would like to use AMD GPUs.

0 Likes