cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

meriken
Adept III

Are 32-bit OpenCL Binaries Compatible with GCN 1.1 Devices?

I have been trying to run 32-bit OpenCL binaries on R9-290X (GCN 1.1) with Crimson 16.4.1 Catalyst 15.11.1 Beta without success. I created these binaries with CodeXL. 64-bit binaries work without problems and I was able to run 32-bit binaries on 7990 (GCN 1.0). Is this possible at all? I am trying to do this as 32-bit addressing makes tweaking a lot easier.

0 Likes
1 Solution
meriken
Adept III

I found a solution. I just need to execute 32-bit OpenCL binaries on GCN 1.1 devices in 32-bit processes. The strange thing is that I was able to execute 32-bit OpenCL binaries on GCN 1.0 devices in 64-bit processes without problems. I guess this is one of those AMD driver oddities...

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
matszpk
Adept III

Unfortunatelly, Crimson 16.3.2/16.4.1 drivers generates OpenCL 2.0 binaries for GCN 1.1/1.2 devices (instead of older binary format) even if OpenCL 2.0 compilation will be not enabled. An OpenCL 2.0 binary format is 64-bit and can be generated only in 64-bit addressing with using 64-bit OpenCL programs.

0 Likes

Oh, hi! Thanks again for CLRadeonExtender. Actually, I meant Catalyst 15.11.1 Beta. Sorry about that... Do you know if we can run 32-bit OpenCL 1.2 binaries on GCN 1.1/1.2 devices? I'm trying to make my code compatible both with GCN 1.0/1.1 and GCN 1.2, and I would rather not deal with 64-bit addressing as it adds to register pressure with extra VGPRs.

0 Likes
meriken
Adept III

I found a solution. I just need to execute 32-bit OpenCL binaries on GCN 1.1 devices in 32-bit processes. The strange thing is that I was able to execute 32-bit OpenCL binaries on GCN 1.0 devices in 64-bit processes without problems. I guess this is one of those AMD driver oddities...

0 Likes