Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

firegurafiku
Journeyman III

Issues with AMD APP SDK installer for Linux

Hi everybody.

I'm new to OpenCL and AMD technologies in particular, but I still hope what the community would like to discuss the issues I've run into while trying to download and install APP SDK 3.0. I wouldn't describe them as a good experience.

First of all, for some reason it was pretty hard to download the tarball from the official download page. The download process started after the EULA page, but stopped after some megabytes received, and it was impossible to resume or restart the download because the site hadn't provided the browser with a valid URL. I made bunch of attempts, with no success. Finally, I managed to download the file to another computer. Maybe it was a Firefox bug, who knows.

Then, I copied the file and installed APPSDK. But unfortunately, I've downloaded the wrong version (32 bit), so I removed it using the uninstall.sh script. And noticed, that clinfo shows me no OpenCL platforms available. What happened to other OpenCL providers I had before? They're gone. So, could somebody tell me why APP SDK uninstallation deletes /etc/OpenCL/vendors directory entirely? I had to manually restore nvidia.icd after it.

Having fixed the ICD directory, I've installed 64-bit APP SDK using its installation script, but unfortunately, it hadn't appeared in the platform list after system restart. I checked env | grep AMD, and no variables were set. But they were here when I'd installed 32-bit version! So, I had to create /etc/ld.so.conf.d/AMDAPPSDK.conf manually. Why would I need that installer if it wasn't going to do its work at all? I could unpack a tarball myself.

In conclusion, why APP SDK needs being added to LD_LIBRARY_PATH? Why it's not possible to just point amdapp64.icd to the shared library file using absolute path. I've tried and this didn't work.

BTW, the distro I used was Ubuntu 14.04 which is current LTS.

0 Likes
4 Replies
firegurafiku
Journeyman III

Could somebody move this thread from the sandbox to a more appropriate forum?

0 Likes

I've moved this to the corresponding thread for you and added you to the developer whitelist. You should be able to post in any of the developer forum threads now.

0 Likes
dipak
Big Boss

Hi Pavel,

Thanks for reporting the installer/uninstaller issue.

As you pointed out, deletion of /etc/OpenCL/vendors folder during the SDK un-installation seems a real bug and the issue has been reported to the concerned team. The team has identified the problematic section and they are in process of doing the required modifications.

BTW, we didn't find any problem of downloading the SDK installer. So, it might be an Internet or browser issue at your side.

Regards,

Dipak

deletion of /etc/OpenCL/vendors directory during the SDK uninstallation

Thank you for reporting upstream. I couldn't find any public bug-tracker for that.

Concerning the download process, maybe the problem is on my side, but I really cannot understand why AMD decided to introduce additional obstacles for users. Why not just host these files on public FTP? It's hardly believable that making user explicitly push "I Agree" button indeed makes any legal difference. But it makes impossible to easily integrate APPSDK into Linux package managers, Gentoo Portage, for example.

0 Likes