cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

ekondis
Adept II

OpenCL 2.1 support

Now that the Vulkan API is released is there any indication regarding the schedule of releasing an OpenCL 2.1 driver with SPIR-V support?

6 Replies
gstoner
Staff

We currently are evaluating market for OpenCL 2.1,  what features of OpenCL 2.0 and 2.1 do you find atractive for Discrete GPU computing.  

On SPIR-V how do you plan to use it.  We  do support in  our current OpenCL driver  SPIR 1.2.

I was hoping that OpenCL 2.1 driver was under development

SPIR-V seems to be the natural evolution of SPIR. Written from scratch (not dependent to LLVM IR). I guess that the usage of SPIR-V will induce less buggy and faster OpenCL kernel compilations. It will also push the OpenCL use in the industry as code obfuscation won't be required anymore.

0 Likes

..and the question still stands what OpenCL 2.1 features are you interested in using that inspired your query. Please read the first response as SPIR-V is already available.

0 Likes

As stated in the first response "SPIR 1.2" is supported. However, SPIR 1.2 is different from SPIR-V. If SPIR-V was supported it would practically mean that OpenCL 2.1 would also be supported.

This is not correct  "If SPIR-V was supported it would practically mean that OpenCL 2.1 would also be supported."  SPIR_V and OpenCL 2.1 are seperate projects at Khronos group.    SPIR_V has dependency of OpenCL 2.1.   Why do you need OpenCL 2.1 was the question.  

If your looking to build a compiler we now have standard object format we been working on ROCm and have upstream our native code generator in the LLVM source tree.

0 Likes

Yes, SPIR-V and OCL 2.1 are separate projects, indeed. The most significant update brought by OCL 2.1 is SPIR-V support which would serve as a cross vendor intermediate language. However, after the recent announcement of planning a merging of OCL and Vulkan, the evolution of the former looks to be in a transitional state. So, I wouldn't expect broad vendor support of OpenCL 2.1 & 2.2. Not at least till the evolution of the specification is stabilized.

0 Likes