9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2016 12:08 AM by kingfish

Scaling on Windows 10 with Legacy Radeon HD 4600 Series

fixit

I have a legacy video card with AMD HD4600 series Radeon Graphics.  In Windows 7 the only way to size the image on a second monitor is via the “scale” feature on Catalyst Control Center.”  This scaling is not available on Windows 7 unless CCC is installed. If I upgrade to Windows 10, the CCC will be deleting and driver version 8.970.100.9001 will be installed.  Will this driver on Window 10 permit scaling?

For Reference, I attached an image showing where the scaling is accessed via CCC on Windows 7.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

• Re: Scaling on Windows 10 with Legacy Radeon HD 4600 Series
          ray_m

The HD4xxx series do not have any drivers from AMD for Windows 10. so the feature you are looking for may not be available.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              fixit

The driver 8.970.100.9001, that I mentioned is in fact an AMD Driver (seen in device manager) that supports HD4000 series and is installed by Windows 10 during the upgrade process when CCC is deleted.  This is described here:  Driver Support for AMD Radeon™ HD 4000, HD 3000, HD 2000 and older Series

Also, I verified on a different computer that this driver was installed after the upgrade to Window 10 however that computer has an old and single CRT monitor setup so i cannot easily tell if scaling is supported as needed for another computer with dual 1080P monitors.  With Windows 7, I needed to use the scale feature (as shown in the attachment to the opening post) to properly size my 2nd digital display.  So my question remains as to whether the driver ver 8.970.100.9001 will permit this scaling without CCC which is not available after the Windows 10 upgrade.

ray_m

As the document you linked to notes:

Driver support for these products under Windows® 8.1 and Windows® 10 is only available via Windows Update. Please enable Windows Update to allow it to automatically detect and install display driver version 8.970.100.9001

This will provide basic functionality but not the full support package, which included the Catalyst Control Center.

You can also refer to this document :

Windows® 10 Driver Support for Discrete AMD Radeon™ Graphics Products

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      fixit

Thanks for your response and the link provided.  Do you know or can you find out if this AMD driver version 8.970.100.9001 that Windows 10 will install supports Display Scaling with HD4000 series? 

Unless I've missed something, the link does not address this question.

Thank you.

kingfish

No it does not. As it says:

Windows® 10 will install the default Microsoft® Basic Display Driver (MBDD) for these graphics adapters. MBDD provides basic display functionality (low resolutions and color) on a single monitor but DOES NOT support:

• Display scaling control
                          • Multiple displays
                          • Display rotation
                          • Video capture
                          • Power settings
                          • VSync control
                          • Brightness control on integrated display panels
                          • AMD Catalyst™ Control Center
                              fixit

Kingfish, as i read that link, the MBD Driver is used for older video cards but the HD4000 series uses the AMD driver 8.970.100.9001 installed via windows update on 10.  That notice about display scaling not being supported pertains to the MBD Driver, not the AMD driver 8.970.100.9001.  it’s kind of confusing I know.  The 8.970.100.9001 driver is dated Jan 13 2015 which is only a year old so I wonder if it includes scaling now.  With dual digital displays being so common now one might think that a one-year-old driver would have the feature.  The link you sent involving registry changes is very relevant and appears to provide a workaround.  Of course it may be that those folks were using an older driver than 8.970.100.9001. They didn’t mention it.  The 8.970.100.9001 driver includes a scaling feature but that feature is not relevant to analog displays, only digital displays so I can’t really see what it does easily.  It doesn’t do anything useful on my CRT display.  I may need to get a digital display on that computer to see what will happen.  I was hoping someone would know if 8.970.100.9001 included the usual scaling capability for digital displays.

kingfish

"" I was hoping someone would know if 8.970.100.9001 included the usual scaling capability for digital displays.""

No. It does not.

The post deals with the MBD driver that is installed by Microsoft as it is the only driver for the HD4000 series and older under Windows 10. There is no other AMD drivers. I can't understand why you would even want to install Win 10 as you gain none of the advantages and partially cripple your computer. Your graphics are not supported by AMD for Win10...they do not meet the minimum requirements set by Microsoft (google wddm) end of story. Anything else is just a workaround so you can surf the web. There have been hundreds of people just like you wishing it wasn't so....but that doesn't change facts. Get a current graphics card ($50-$75) or revert to the OS designed for your graphics. Also, the post I linked you to has solved the issue of scaling.....which was your original question.