cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

shockfoxx
Adept I

Developing a pico motherboard for AMD APU

I want to know if it is possible to take a pico sized motherboard, roughly the size of a raspberry pi, and integrate an AMD APU to it? I would really like to see AMD take on Intel in the small form factor category.  I have to ask because no matter how much I search; I can't find information on how motherboards are created for use with X86 processors.

5 Replies
dunnousername
Journeyman III

I am wondering the same thing. I hope I can help.

I have never done this before, but http://wwwd.amd.com/amd/devsite.nsf/login?openform may be what you are looking for. I haven't tried it, since I do not own a business, and you need one. I am pretty sure there are embedded APUs. Oh, and note that this is for embedded reference designs. I am actually trying to find out the exact same thing you are asking except specifically desktop APUs. Good luck!

Even if someone says it is too hard, don't let them ruin your confidence. Even if it is hard, it is not even remotely impossible.

Again, good luck!

0 Likes
Meteorhead
Challenger

There is such a product already by fitPC. Their entire fitlet product line consists of pico size AMD APU configurations.

0 Likes

You are right about that. However, with the cheapest one at $250, for just

a bare bones system, I would like to see one of these at sub $100 if

possible. Which it really should be since its only a motherboard apu combo

with case included.

0 Likes

I would like that too. Thee reason these things cost more than the competition, is that Fit-PC build industrial grade equipment. These things can be mounted on tractors, or you can throw them out the 3rd floor and they will still work. Not something office equipment need, but useful for many things.

If there were similar machines around 100$, I'd have bought one for myself and built an AC WiFi router, NAS and media server with it. And buy one for the office and do OpenCL dev on it. Too bad it costs this much.

0 Likes

That why I was looking for help on designing a motherboard with embedded

components to reduce costs. The big reason I want to see this done is due

to the fact that no current SBC has USB 3.0 ports, and is a Windows capable

machine.

0 Likes