cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

a_zatvornitskiy
Journeyman III

AMD A10-7870K w/ Catalyst 15.9: `clinfo` throws the `Segmentation fault (core dumped)` after second attempt

Here is a brief details about what's going on with my setup. First of all, I've decided to run a Non-X version of `fglrx-core_15.201-0ubuntu1_amd64_UB_14.01.deb` as I interested just only in OpenCL environment.

The problem is: got the `Segmentation fault (core dumped)` after second attempt to bump the `clinfo`. The same behavior true from C code. Looks like a OpenCL environment doesn't work at all. In additional, have found a `[ 499.616434] <6>[fglrx] No ADL handler for Escape code 0x00110020` notice.

I put all related things into gist, Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS, AMD A10-7870K: `clinfo` throws `Segmentation fault (core dumped)` after second a...

That would be great to know what's wrong with my environment and what exactly causes this issue.

Thanks.

0 Likes
14 Replies
a_zatvornitskiy
Journeyman III

0 Likes

My solution from the linked thread was to also grab /etc/ati/amdpcsdb.default from the fglrx_*.deb after installing the fglrx-core_*.deb.  It resolved the segfaults for me.

0 Likes

Hi Aleksey, I've whitelisted you so you can post in any of the developer forums.

0 Likes
a_zatvornitskiy
Journeyman III

This is definitely an issue just only for `fglrx-core_15.201-0ubuntu1_amd64_UB_14.01.deb` package. The `fglrx_15.201-0ubuntu1_amd64_UB_14.01.deb` works fine.

My question is still open as I have to figure out how to run server driven computation.

0 Likes

Hi!

I've moved this thread to the OpenCL forum -- the experts there should help.

--Prasad

0 Likes

Has your issue been resolved? If not, please try the latest 15.11 driver released recently.

Regards,

0 Likes

Hi!

After installing the latest drivers radeon-crimson-15.11-15.30.1025 (64-bit Linux) and the latest AMD APP SDK (AMD-APP-SDK-v3.0.130.135-GA-linux64) I have following problems with clinfo:

* /opt/AMDAPPSDK-3.0/bin/x86_64/clinfo fails with segmentation fault.

* /opt/AMDAPPSDK-3.0/bin/x86/clinfo works (it claims that my AMD Radeon R9 380 Series supports OpenCL 1.2, but if I remember correctly OpenCL 2.0 works only for 64-bit).

* /opt/AMDAPPSDK-3.0/bin/x86_64/clinfo starts to work fine after 'unset LD_LIBRARY_PATH' (LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/AMDAPPSDK-3.0/lib/x86_64/). I don't know why that happens.

I'll try go back to AMD-APP-SDK-v3.0.124.132-GA-linux64 and old drivers.

Edit:

* Going back to AMD-APP-SDK-v3.0.124.132-GA-linux64 does not help

* Going back to AMD-Catalyst-15.9-Linux-installer-15.201.1151 helps (with both AMD-APP-SDK-v3.0.124.132-GA-linux64 and AMD-APP-SDK-v3.0.130.135-GA-linux64).

ENV: Linux Mint 17.2, AMD Radeon R9 380 4GB

0 Likes

I have also an Ubuntu 14.04 x64 setup. Using almost the latest drivers and SDK, though. A few comments:

|   * /opt/AMDAPPSDK-3.0/bin/x86_64/clinfo fails with segmentation fault.

You should try using the clinfo which comes with your catalyst driver. It is usually more up-to-date than your SDK's.

|    */opt/AMDAPPSDK-3.0/bin/x86/clinfo works (it claims that my AMD Radeon R9 380 Series supports OpenCL 1.2, but if I remember correctly OpenCL 2.0 works only for 64-bit).

What is 64bit? Your OS or your GPU access? i haven't had any problems working my kernels either with x64 OS or 64 bit GPU mode.

|    * /opt/AMDAPPSDK-3.0/bin/x86_64/clinfo starts to work fine after 'unset LD_LIBRARY_PATH' (LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/AMDAPPSDK-3.0/lib/x86_64/). I don't know why that happens.

Yeah, that's because you ran clinfo from the catalyst driver. It is more up-to-date. Search your fs for more clinfo's....

HTH

Nikos

0 Likes

You should try using the clinfo which comes with your catalyst driver. It is usually more up-to-date than your SDK's.

Thanks. Yeah, you're right, there is one more in /usr/bin/. I will install new driver and try again.

0 Likes

Just want to share some information in this regard. I faced similar segfault problem after installing the Crimson driver. It happened only when APP SDK was also there. After some experiments, I found following workarounds:

1. Set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH so that libamdocl12cl64.so is accessed from /usr/lib instead of /opt/AMDAPPSDK-3.0/lib/x86_64/

OR

2. Just remove or rename the libamdocl12cl64.so at /opt/AMDAPPSDK-3.0/lib/x86_64/ so that it access the library from /usr/lib

OR

3. run the clinfo or the program with root privilege e.g. "sudo clinfo"

Not sure whether you're facing the same problem or not. You may try one of these above workarounds and it may work for you as well.

0 Likes

That creates some obvious questions. Clinfo uses the same ocl calls that our programs use. Up till now we used the catalyst ocl compiler, and the SDK for the runtime and  headers. Has this changed?

0 Likes

With APP SDK, this problem happens if clinfo (or may be other program) tries to access libamdocl12cl64.so from APP SDK folder (e.g. /opt/AMDAPPSDK-3.0/lib/x86_64/) instead of /usr/lib based on the LD_LIBRARY_PATH setting.  Whereas, as I mentioned, running clinfo with root privilege (e.g. "sudo clinfo") is working fine. Also, without APP SDK, I haven't found this problem. So, as I suspect, it may be due to some kind of permission related problem. However, I'm not sure what the exact reason is. If I get more information in this regard, I'll share with you.

Regards,

0 Likes

An strace would help. This seems to be with the latest driver issue, it doesn't happen with catalyst 15.201 that I'm using 😉

0 Likes
paign10
Journeyman III

I'm running Xubuntu 14.04.3 and I have a R9 390 gpu. I have installed radeon-crimson-15.12-15.302-151217a-297685e and AMD-APP-SDKInstaller-v3.0.130.135-GA-linux64.

The problem remains, SDK-3.0 gives segmentation faults.

0 Likes