Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

vbb
Journeyman III

Open CL 2.0 on R9 280 (HD 7950)

Hello,

i am new on opencl and want to figure out wether or not it is suited to accelerate my scientific simulations (about statistics of granular media)
firstly i am doing some tests on my private machine. First results are promising, but now i want to figure out the usage of

device side queuing. Therefore i need opencl 2.0 support. On AMD's website is stated the R9 200 supports openCL 2.0.

However, on my machine it do not work on both systems, windows7 and ubuntu 14.04. I have attached the clinfo output to this posts.
Using Windows the device is detected as Radeon R9 200 series, in linux system as a radeon hd 7900 (which have essentially the same hardware architecture like the R) 280).  In both cases the device side OpenCL Version is OpenCL 1.2.
Is OpenCL 2.0 not supported for the R9 280, or it is possible to do something to enable openCL 2.0 support on my system.

I have installed the newest Catalyst driver on both systems.

thanks in advance for your help

best

Volker

0 Likes
1 Solution
dipak
Big Boss

R9 280 is based on Tahiti (i.e. GCN 1.0 architecture) which does not support OpenCL 2.0 (see AMD Radeon Rx 200 series - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ). Currently, OpenCL 2.0 is supported on GCN 1.1 and higher cards.

Regards,

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
jtrudeau
Staff

Welcome to the wild and wacky world of OpenCL kernel development. I can make fun, because I am not a kernel developer.

I will white list you momentarily and move this to the OpenCL forum!

And, not that it answers your question, but we have a blog from a few months back on device enqueue, here: http://developer.amd.com/community/blog/2014/11/17/opencl-2-0-device-enqueue/

You can see all the blogs related to OpenCL 2.0 here: http://developer.amd.com/community/blog/category/opencl-2-0/

I expect a new one on fine grain shared virtual memory to show up in a week or two.

0 Likes
dipak
Big Boss

R9 280 is based on Tahiti (i.e. GCN 1.0 architecture) which does not support OpenCL 2.0 (see AMD Radeon Rx 200 series - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ). Currently, OpenCL 2.0 is supported on GCN 1.1 and higher cards.

Regards,

0 Likes
vbb
Journeyman III

Thanks, that is not the answer i hoped for (;-)) but i think opencl 1.2 is sufficient for me in the moment.

Do you know whether it is planned to support openCL 2.0 on gcn 1.0 in the future? Probable not or?

0 Likes

Sorry, I'm not aware of any.

0 Likes