5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2016 5:44 PM by degraaff

IMVU on Windows 10: excessive cpu usage in ntoskrnl.exe ("System") and abysmal framerates

degraaff

Hello,

Since installing Windows 10 (clean install) (came from Windows 7, cannot comment on how it was in Windows 8 or 8.1):

The issue:

Excessive CPU usage for 'System' (ntoskrnl.exe) when running the 3D chatting program "IMVU"

- Paired with very low framerates.

The in-game conditions:

- Have the rendering mode set to Direct3D (enabled by default)

- Have "chat bubbles" enabled (enabled by default)

The more chat bubbles are being drawn, the higher the CPU usage on System, and the lower the framerate.

- Floating names above avatars have the same effect, but not as badly.

Notes:

- Meanwhile, I've updated to the latest public build of Windows 10: build 10586. No improvement to this issue.

- Also no improvement with latest Radeon Software (Crimson Edition).

- Clean-re-installing AMD drivers does not help.

- IMVU also has an option to render with OpenGL, in which case the issue is not present.

But: OpenGL rendering in IMVU suffers from bad clipping in distant textures. (see bottom screenshot)

- The OpenGL texture clipping started happening since after a certain AMD Radeon driver update. I can't remember since which version, sorry, it has been at least 6 months if I recall correctly.

- This texture clipping does not occur in Direct3D rendering mode.

There is also a discussion about this issue on the forums of IMVU: IMVU - Official Catalog

(I have Radeon HD 7870)

imvu2.jpg

imvu.jpg

Chat bubbles and floating names:

imvububb.jpg

Texture clipping in OpenGL rendering mode:

texclip.jpg