cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

system
Journeyman III

Why too slow all functions ? Why need to wait to approve the content ?

0 Likes
5 Replies
jtrudeau
Staff

Thanks for the feedback. The odds of this happening are near zero ( I try to avoid absolutes, even absolute zero). However much it might be a marvel and give us complete control over everything that AMD hardware can do, in my experience AMD are committed to industry standards and open APIs whenever possible. Not always, and not everywhere, but it is our preference. So, Windows, Linux. I would be surprised to ever see an AMD OS.

mz24cn
Adept II

No, don't be allured by such illusion. AMD still needs to focus on its main business: CPU, GPU, and their ecosystems. It is difficult since Intel focuses on CPU and NVidia focuses on GPU while AMD has to fight on both battle lines.

mdriftmeyer
Adept II

Pass on the notion of wasting time working on an OS beyond optimizing stacks in Vulkan/DirectX12/OpenCL 2.x [OS X/Linux/Win] and coordinating with Apple on optimizing GPGPUs and APUs for Metal API.

Getting Apple to put AMD GPGPUs across all Macs would be a huge win for AMD. It would also allow Apple to sell a lot more systems having discrete GPGPUs and not just iGPU stuff for Mac Mini and low end Macbooks.

So, Su's focus on the Power/Watt curve and reducing its TDP footprint will pay off for AMD.

Getting Nano, Fury X and Fury out without supply constraints while building on the next gen and Zen without delays will make for a great next 18 months.

The single reason Apple cannot move to AMD APUs and FX processors with Zen boils down to AMD being blocked on licensing Thunderbolt

Intel keeping this proprietary blocks Apple from moving without cutting ties with TBolt.

kaol
Adept I

Fun fact: On Linux, the 64 bit architecture that most people are running is called amd64, since they're the ones who created the instruction set. All the while Intel was trying to push Itanium which got nowhere. Just install an 64 bit operating system and you have an AMD OS.

Another AMD OS would be a version of Linux which distributed all of its binaries as HSAIL. GPU acceleration for all of code execution.

jtrudeau
Staff

We require moderation when someone first joins the community to prevent link spammers from filling the community with garbage, drowning out real discussions. We are, essentially, under constant attack. The attempts are usually low grade, but every now and then a massive barrage of junk shows up. As well, for the developer forum, we have a gated community - only developers can participate. It helps keeps discussions technically on point and professional.

0 Likes