Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

pinform
Staff

Catalyst 15.7 available

Hello folks,

I'm excited to announce that AMD has just released the Catalyst 15.7 driver. Get it here: Desktop.

I'm hoping this thread can serve as a (single) repository for all feedback on the driver.

(Aaron beat me to it: New Driver Rocks!).

Have fun!

--Prasad

0 Likes
3 Replies
ekondis
Adept II

On a Kaveri (FX-7500) laptop I experienced a problematic performance degradation. While OpenCL benchmarks with previous driver exhibited over 400 GFlops with the new driver I only had  ~150 GFlops. Thus I had to revert to the previous driver. Can anybody else with Kaveri laptop confirm this problem?

0 Likes

...and just to provide some additional information: I'm using Ubuntu 14.04 64bit Linux (kernel 3.19, OpenCL driver 1729.3 (VM) ).

I also tried the new driver on a desktop system with R7-260X (same OS) and everything was fine!

0 Likes
maxdz8
Elite

I have just finished running some quick performance evaluations on 15.7 using my project (the code isn't public yet, but it'll hopefully be by the end of next week).

I don't have a consistent testing methodology for previous runs. This time I can monitor visually the measured performance.

Trusting my gut feelings, I'd say the performance has degraded slightly. In terms of peak performance the difference can be up to 10% but I'm recalling from memory.

BUT what I can tell for sure is this driver produces less variability. It is very steady; I like it. In terms of averages the difference is likely less marked.

Besides, with my card approaching 70C I suspect some throttling might be going on. I will test more next week.

0 Likes