46 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2017 6:39 AM by sarakhan21

Graphics driver stopped responding and has recovered....TDR fix

kingfish

This issue has a workaround that 'fixes' the problem for most users..

The issue is Microsofts default TDR setting. Basically (simplified) Microsoft has determined that a program which hasn't responded in a given time should be restarted.

TDR stands for Timeout Detection and Recovery. This is a feature of the Windows operating system which detects response problems from a graphics card, and recovers to a functional desktop by resetting the card. If the operating system does not receive a response from a graphics card within a certain amount of time (default is 2 seconds), the operating system resets the graphics card.

Increasing the default TDR setting to 8 seconds gives the graphics card longer to complete its task. How to do that:

Open registry editor..run > regedit >  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers. In the box to the right you may or may not see  TdrDelay with a data value of (2). If you see that, double click and change the value from (2) to (8). If you don't see TdrDelay...right click on a open space and create a new Dword and name it TdrDelay . Double click that and set a value of 8. I do not recommend using a 'tool' to reset this value.

Note: The computer must be rebooted after making this change.

Screenshot_2.png

Microsoft's explanation and automatic "Fixit" program:

"Display driver stopped responding and has

recovered" error in Windows 7 or Windows Vista

Message was edited by: pat densman

• Re: TDR = Display driver  stopped responding and has recovered
          zunadir

Tried this for my problem, didn't work. (It does say for some users, though, so it might work for you, just not for me. :-D)

kingfish

The 'fix' outlined above does eliminate the most common cause of the TDR error. But there are other circumstances that will cause the error as well. Overclocking, excessive/multiple programs running, and others can result in the same issue. Microsoft furnishes a guide to determining the cause on individual computers. Some parts of it are very technical and users may not feel confident in trying to diagnose.

From the Microsoft article:

The following hardware issues can cause a TDR event:

1. Unstable overclock (CPU, GPU, etc). Revert all and any overclocks to stock settings.

2. Bad sector in memory resulting in corrupt data being communicated between the GPU and the system (video memory otherwise known as VRAM or physical memory otherwise known as RAM).

GPU testing: Furmark, run for ~15 minutes and watch temperatures to ensure there's no overheating and watch for artifacts.

RAM testing: Memtest - Refer to the below:

Memtest:

Memtest86+:

Download Memtest86+ here:

http://www.memtest.org/

Which should I download?

You can either download the pre-compiled ISO that you would burn to a CD and then boot from the CD, or you can download the auto-installer for the USB key. What this will do is format your USB drive, make it a bootable device, and then install the necessary files. Both do the same job, it's just up to you which you choose, or which you have available (whether it's CD or USB).

How Memtest works:

Memtest86 writes a series of test patterns to most memory addresses, reads back the data written, and compares it for errors.

The default pass does 9 different tests, varying in access patterns and test data. A tenth test, bit fade, is selectable from the menu. It writes all memory with zeroes, then sleeps for 90 minutes before checking to see if bits have changed (perhaps because of refresh problems). This is repeated with all ones for a total time of 3 hours per pass.

Many chipsets can report RAM speeds and timings via SPD (Serial Presence Detect) or EPP (Enhanced Performance Profiles), and some even support changing the expected memory speed. If the expected memory speed is overclocked, Memtest86 can test that memory performance is error-free with these faster settings.

Some hardware is able to report the "PAT status" (PAT: enabled or PAT: disabled). This is a reference to Intel Performance acceleration technology; there may be BIOS settings which affect this aspect of memory timing.

This information, if available to the program, can be displayed via a menu option.

Any other questions, they can most likely be answered by reading this great guide here:

http://forum.canardpc.com/threads/28864-FAQ-please-read-before-posting

3. Corrupt hard drive or Windows install / OS install resulting in corruption to the registry or page file.

HDD diagnostics: Seatools - Refer to the below:

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

You can run it via Windows or DOS. Do note that the only difference is simply the environment you're running it in. In Windows, if you are having what you believe to be device driver related issues that may cause conflicts or false positive, it may be a wise decision to choose the most minimal testing environment (DOS).

Run all tests EXCEPT: Fix All, Long Generic, and anything Advanced.

To reset your page file, follow the instructions below:

a ) Go to Start...Run...and type in "sysdm.cpl" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

- Then click on the Advanced tab,

- Then on the Performance Settings Button,

- Then on the next Advanced tab,

- Then on the Virtual Memory Change button.

b ) In this window, note down the current settings for your pagefile (so you can restore them later on).

-Then click on the "No paging file" radio button, and

- then on the "Set" button. Be sure, if you have multiple hard drives, that you ensure that the paging file is set to 0 on all of them.

-Click OK to exit the dialogs.

c ) Reboot (this will remove the pagefile from your system)

d ) Then go back in following the directions in step a ) and re-enter the settings that you wrote down in step

b ). Follow the steps all the way through (and including) the reboot.

e ) Once you've rebooted this second time, go back in and check to make sure that the settings are as they're supposed to be.

Run System File Checker:

SFC.EXE /SCANNOW

Go to Start and type in "cmd.exe" (without the quotes)

At the top of the search box, right click on the cmd.exe and select "Run as adminstrator"

In the black window that opens, type "SFC.EXE /SCANNOW" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Let the program run and post back what it says when it's done. 

- Overheating of the CPU or GPU and or other components can cause 0x116 bugchecks. Monitor your temperatures and ensure the system is cooled adequately.

- GPU failure. Whether it's heat, power issue (PSU issue), failing VRAM, etc.

The following software issues can cause a TDR event:

- Incompatible drivers of any sort

- Messy / corrupt registry

- Corrupt Direct X - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/179113

- Corrupt system files (run System File Checker as advised above)

- Buggy and or corrupt 3rd party drivers. If you suspect a 3rd party driver being the issue, enable Driver Verifier:

Driver Verifier:

What is Driver Verifier?

Driver Verifier is included in Windows 8, 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003 to promote stability and reliability; you can use this tool to troubleshoot driver issues. Windows kernel-mode components can cause system corruption or system failures as a result of an improperly written driver, such as an earlier version of a Windows Driver Model (WDM) driver.

Essentially, if there's a 3rd party driver believed to be at issue, enabling Driver Verifier will help flush out the rogue driver if it detects a violation.

Before enabling Driver Verifier, it is recommended to create a System Restore Point:

Vista - START | type rstrui - create a restore point

Windows 7 - START | type create | select "Create a Restore Point"

Windows 8 - http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/4690-restore-point-create-windows-8-a.html

How to enable Driver Verifier:

Start > type "verifier" without the quotes > Select the following options -

1. Select - "Create custom settings (for code developers)"

2. Select - "Select individual settings from a full list"

3. Check the following boxes -

- Special Pool

- Pool Tracking

- Force IRQL Checking

- Deadlock Detection

- Security Checks (Windows 7 & 8)

- DDI compliance checking (Windows 8)

- Miscellaneous Checks

4. Select  - "Select driver names from a list"

5. Click on the "Provider" tab. This will sort all of the drivers by the provider.

6. Check EVERY box that is [B]NOT[/B] provided by Microsoft / Microsoft Corporation.

7. Click on Finish.

8. Restart.

Important information regarding Driver Verifier:

- If Driver Verifier finds a violation, the system will BSOD.

- After enabling Driver Verifier and restarting the system, depending on the culprit, if for example the driver is on start-up, you may not be able to get back into normal Windows because Driver Verifier will flag it, and as stated above, that will cause / force a BSOD.

If this happens, do not panic, do the following:

- Boot into Safe Mode by repeatedly tapping the F8 key during boot-up.

- Once in Safe Mode - Start > type "system restore" without the quotes.

- Choose the restore point you created earlier.

If you did not set up a restore point, do not worry, you can still disable Driver Verifier to get back into normal Windows:

- Start > Search > type "cmd" without the quotes.

- To turn off Driver Verifier, type in cmd "verifier /reset" without the quotes.

・    Restart and boot into normal Windows.

How long should I keep Driver Verifier enabled for?

It varies, many experts and analysts have different recommendations. Personally, I recommend keeping it enabled for at least 24 hours. If you don't BSOD by then, disable Driver Verifier.

My system BSOD'd, where can I find the crash dumps?

They will be located in %systemroot%\Minidump

Any other questions can most likely be answered by this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/244617

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              crsajib

Few days ago, I bought a new pc.

Config: i5 4590 3.3 Ghz, Sapphire R9 270 GDDR5, Ram - 8GB DDR3 1600 Mhz, Asus B85M-G, Dell S2240L, OS - Windows 8.1 64bit

Whenever I open km player my screen go black, its  it's freezes for 3-4 seconds! Then a notification popup from the toolbar "Display Driver Stopped Responding and has Recovered"

First I thought that its a problem of km player so I uninstalled it. Then started to  use Windows Media Player! I thought problem is gone!

But still there was a problem. When I saw video on youtube, sometime the display driver crashes happen! Few days ago my screen gone to blue screen and I re setup my windows! But problem is still there!

I don't get crushes while playing game. But while watching video I get this annoying crashed.

SO  what is the problem and what is the solution ?

• Re: Graphics driver stopped responding and has recovered
                axima

I started having this problem after installing the latest Windows 10 Pro (64-bit) update. It was that major update to OS, which was a couple of days ago. I had problems earlier with atikmdag.sys -file, which caused BSOD when doing something GPU-heavy. Fixed that according to atikmdag.sys BSOD fixed, now what..?

After updating my OS, it started to throw this same message, "Graphics driver has stopped responding and has been succesfuly recovered" and screen went black for a second.

Drivers were installed according to screen while installing the update to OS.

I searched for a fix, and found many forums and YouTube-videos saying I could fix it by making a registry entry.

This is what I did:

[1] Open registry editor.

[2] Go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers"

[3] Make new entry called REG_QWORD (64-bit) if you have 64-bit OS, which I have.

[4] Edit that entry, type TdrDelay, and put value to 8 (hexadecimal)

After doing that, the problem is fixed. Haven't had single error since.

Now some instructions say I should make that entry as a REG_DWORD (32-bit) irregarding what type of OS you have. This post says I should make it as a DWORD.

- Should I change it to DWORD? I don't want to change it because it works perfectly at the moment.

- What that actually does? I don't really know anything about how registry works, I was just following instructions.

- What's the difference between QWORD and DWORD entries? In my current situation...you don't need to explain how the whole registry works.

- Should I make both these entries there? Or just the one? I currently have a REG_QWORD TdrDelay 0x00000008 (8)

My system:

Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)

AMD A8-7100 Radeon R5

AMD Radeon R7 M265

Thanks for reading this thru.

• Re: Graphics driver stopped responding and has recovered....TDR fix
                  jjolson58

Here's what I did.

1.  I added time to the registry editor - now at 16

2.  I ran furmark for a half hour and the temperature remained about 69 degrees C the whole time, even while under full load.

3.  I reset the page file.

4.  I ran a system file check.

5.  I have the driver verifier on, and will turn it off tomorrow.

6  I turned off hardware acceleration in my chrome and firefox browsers.

6.  I did not do a memtest or hdd test.

I no longer get the blue screen, the "video.tdr.failure" (atikmpag.sys) message when I plug in the HDMI cable.  I get partial displays on both the television and monitor.  It cycles through, trying to resolve the same thing on both screens, doesn't, freezes, and then 10 or 15 seconds later, tries to make both displays work again - it starts over. 

After I pulled out the HDMI cable, the boxed message, "Display AMD Driver stopped responding and has successfully recovered.  This message came on and off a whole bunch of times before I right clicked display settings on the desktop and clicked on "detect". 

Any other thoughts? 

Jeff

joeamerica

Hi,

I have been dealing with this same issue myself, and here is what I found was the fix, in some cases your software tweek may work but. 99.99% of the issue is not software. it is hardware. Now this is for laptops. I have not seen the design on desktop pcbs to determine if its the same method of manufacturing.

First AMD shame on you for not having the gpu installed in a socket. The problem is how the chip is soldered to the board.  The way they baked the board leaves the solder cold and when things get hot it creates open joints or even shorts and the gpu gives you the errors. that vid chip  gets so hot that it is in fact shutting down. be careful setting the tdr too high. most software reset timers are set to two or three times the manufactures specs so after .75 or 1 second the chip should be resetting or finishing its task and moving on its way. I see some as high as 16. Having it this high will guarantee you will melt the chip. So what is the possible fix. Try and reflow the chip. There are plenty of vids on it. do not do the hairdryer. it may work but get serious about your device and use the proper tools and methods.  but if you do not know what you are doing take it to a reliable shop and let them reflow the chip. I had mine reflowed last week and this error is gone. video is crisp solid and no more heat or errors.  I went through all the motions in this thread software hardware checks reset to factory etc. for me and many its all how the gpu was attached to the pcb.  I have noticed also that this is not isolated to just amd. all the gpu chip sets have been done like this. Sony, HP, Fujistsu, Acer, etc.. they all have gone this route and should be ashamed to have built things in this manner.  Good luck and if you have gone as far back on software to factory reset and still getting the error. it is more then likely the soldering of the gpu.  IMHO

milena

Hello,

I have been experiencing the same issue several times losing a lot of work while working on Adobe Illustrator CC 2015 because the application crashes with the driver but does not recover afterwards. It does that especially while scalling or moving objects and at very random moments. I'm running an Intel i7 4ghz, 16gb ram, AMD R9 200 on Windows 10 64bit  so no idea what can cause this problem. My drivers are up to date. Unfortunately I don't have the TDR key in my registry, so what should I do?

Thanks

indig0f10w

To fix it use TDRManipulator, easy to use and straighforward interface. For 1st try just disable the 1st option. It probably will not fox anything, you will just have less crashes.

In case anybody is wondering to why is this happening I must say that it may have something to do with AMD/Raptr Gaming Devolved client which also causes crashes, drivers not responding and whatever else. AMD reckognizing the problem after months in the latest driver hotfix but they forgot to say that Gaming Devolved does not record without in game overlay.

Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.3.1 Highlights

Known Issues

• A few game titles may fail to launch or crash if the AMD Gaming Evolved overlay is enabled. A temporary workaround is to disable the AMD Gaming Evolved "In Game Overlay"
                          headlessgnome

It seems my problem has fixed, I checked out my graphics card and there was plenty of dust, also I see that graphics card temperature has risen by 5-10 degrees since I bought it (15 months ago).

dolar

I can't fix this display driver stopped issue! Please, help me!

• I have updated graphics driver.
                            • TdrDelay value has been set to 8 already.
                            • I have checked overheat issue by Furmark. I think, there is no problem though I am not sure.:

furmark-statistics.PNG

PC Configuration:

Intel Core i7 4th gen 3.60 GHz

RAM: 16 GB

Graphics Card: AMD Radeon R7 200

biggeek

This too has been driving me nuts but I found an easy fix and put together a short guide:

http://www.epinionated.net/fix-display-driver-stopped-responding-windows-10/

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                headlessgnome

My friend also had this problem, turned out it wasn't the graphics card but some corrupted Windows files and malware he had on his computer, I suggest everyone to scan their computers with MalwareBytes and repair corrupted Windows files using "sfc /scannow" command.

cengotr

Hello. I have this problem too but sometimes it don't say ''Graphics driver stopped responding and has recovered'', screen goes black and i have to restart my PC. I see this problem when I play Rust. I have R9 380. What can I do?

vuji

Hello,

I have got an issue with my drivers I think. ''Graphics driver stopped responding and has recoverded'', screen goes black for like 2 seconds, and then I have to close my game in Task Manager. I already tried to uninstall my driver and install it back, and it won't work. Can someone please help me. I would really appreciate that.

AMD A10-7870K Radeon R7, 12 Compute Cores 4C+8G 4.20 GHz

It is a 64-bit operating system, Windows 10

adam664

I have Lenovo Z51-70 with R9 M375 and Windows 10 x64.

I was struggling with random crashes and freezes in games from around March 2016. I tried various solutions: TdrDelay in regedit, OS reinstall, regular updating to latest AMD driver but nothing helps. I thought it's problem with hardware but not.

The problem was the latest drivers. All AMD drivers since version 16.3 are broken.

I removed latest 16.7.3 and installed old Catalyst 15.7.1 and problem dissapear like magic.

I thought that newer drivers are better but it's does not apply to AMD. We have currently 16.7.3 and they still didn't fix that issue.

Well, I'm very disappointed with AMD and their drivers. I had never similar problem with Nvidia. It's my first and last notebook with your graphics card.

indig0f10w

No fix for this anywhere in sight, it's going to be one of those bugs which bloat software for years. That's what you get for bundling 3rd party crapware into your perfectly fine product. BTW Raptr/Gaming Devolved rewards suck, there is absolutely nothing worth redeeming and I will be laughing at this for a long time. Well, at least AMD admitted that they failed, I'll give them that.

Radeon Software Crapware Edition 16.8.2 Release Notes (where fixes appear less frequently than issues)

Known Issues

• A few game titles may fail to launch or crash if the AMD Gaming Evolved overlay is enabled. A temporary workaround is to disable the AMD Gaming Evolved "In Game Overlay".
                                          odin95

My laptop froze last week around 18th March 2017 while playing just cause 3 on my laptop.

I had to force shutdown my laptop after 20 mins of waiting.

After that incident the laptop was unable to boot and a black screen with mouse cursor was visible

I had to reset my laptop to Windows 8.1 from Windows 10

(factory settings)

Later on I updated all the drivers including the amd display driver.

After updating the drivers , as soon as I open my games it starts showing "display driver stopped responding and recovered"

I tried the TDR fix and even performed a sfc system scan which shows no corrupt registry files to be removed or repaired but no change in the issue

This issue is still persists and its annoying

The laptop specs are given below:

Lenovo z51-70

graphics: R9 m375

windows 8.1 64x bit(current after reset)

please help me

torpisctra

But in the end, is the problem solved?
                                            Can we have a list of short and precise actions what to do to solve it?
                                            Thank you