cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

maestrodan
Adept I

When will Blender build be available with performance improvements?

I can't install it now, becouse ubuntu 14.04.2 uses Xorg 1.16.1, and fglrx14.301 can work only with 1.15, but I install ubuntu 14.04 and install on it fglrx 14.301. OpenCL is works, but ubuntu want's to update fglrx packages to 15.20(update center will do it on next upgrade).

Enother question-recently was made a putch to Blender Cycles to increase performance on AMD with OpenCL, when it will be avaiable in Blender builds? Where I can download Blender with it?

0 Likes
1 Solution
jtrudeau
Staff

This is an open source project, so obviously no one here can answer that definitively.

The project plans are here: Dev:Doc/Projects - BlenderWiki

It looks to me like perhaps the 2.75 build, which has listed as one of the targets "

• Cycles kernel split for OpenCL patch

And the schedule for 2.75 looks like 2nd half of May. That assumes that the patch is stable and passes review, I'm sure.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
jtrudeau
Staff

This is an open source project, so obviously no one here can answer that definitively.

The project plans are here: Dev:Doc/Projects - BlenderWiki

It looks to me like perhaps the 2.75 build, which has listed as one of the targets "

• Cycles kernel split for OpenCL patch

And the schedule for 2.75 looks like 2nd half of May. That assumes that the patch is stable and passes review, I'm sure.

0 Likes

Thanks, and what does this patch do?

When I run OpenCL now, there is one tile on blender render screen for one device(Cpu core or GPU), so at all on my laptop with AMD A6-5200+Radeon HD8400+Radeon HD8570M(A) i see 6 tiles. Does this patch make every GPU unit like 1 compute core in blener, and makes 2 tiles for HD8400 and 5 tiles for HD8570 during rendering in blrender? And can it to increase speed of rendering?

0 Likes

Two thoughts:

1: check out the open source discussion.

2: I'll check with the senior engineer working on this. He happens to sit, literally, right next to me. But I never see him, he's usually working remote. Probably gets a lot more done.

0 Likes

I'm told:

There is a bug in the Blender build that prevents mixed device rendering from working at all.

Even if that's fixed, "mixed mode" type rendering is not suggested. CPUs and GPUs have different floating point characteristics. (Blender uses the -cl-fast-relaxed-math flag, meaning that the GPU is not IEEE compliant, but faster.)  As a result one may see artifacts at tile boundaries.  Even worse, when you render animations, one could see similar artifacts that are frame-to-frame (temporal), which could be more annoying. Your mileage may vary. And I hope this helps.