cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

maxdz8
Elite

Wording of error "argument type to opencl as_* function: expected src and dst have the same size"

Perhaps this should go to the driver section, I am not sure.

The error described in title can be produced by e.g.

ulong foo = 42;

as_uint4(foo);

As the specification mandates the return type of as_* calls to have as many bits as the argument.

I've had this issue reported weeks ago and my understanding was just the opposite: I understood it failed because the arguments are the same size!

As far as I am concened, it should read:

"argument type to opencl as_* function: expected src and dst must have the same size"

0 Likes
4 Replies
jtrudeau
Staff

Thanks for the report. I can see why you would be confused, I would be to.

Before I send this off, can you give me a little context? I want to get it to the right place first time if possible. I'm trying to narrow down what tool/component might be spitting out this error. I'm guessing this is at compile time, and it's the compiler?

I apologize; I've cut it a bit too short.

This was initially reported to me as a screenshot from an user who run an application I wrote.

It is indeed run time error from the compiler. The code is published and the error arises kernel-side from here.

The real issue which originated the problem is some implementation returning 64 bit as get_global_id(i). I don't remember if the user was running an AMD device but that's not relevant in this context.

0 Likes

The wording of an error message is always low priority, but the good thing is, it's usually a totally trivial fix - just changing a string. If I learn anything real, I'll let you know.

Otherwise, Thanks, and I'll get that to the team.

0 Likes

No problem; it's fine to at least have it in the todo list. No need to report it either!

0 Likes