Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

vlj
Journeyman III

TressFX: First rendering pass is 5x slower than dx11 counterpart

Hi,

Again about TressFX in OpenGL : the full OpenGL version (ie without OpenCL) works and display similar output as DX11 SDK.
However I have poor performance with the first pass (which fills per pixel linked list), it takes around 5ms to complete on my R9 290X while DX11 sample takes around 1ms.
On the other hand the simulation and fullscreen pass takes around 3ms to execute, which is mostly in line with the performance of DX11 sample.

My sample is sending similar amount of per pixel list bucket using debug color value in DX11 and OpenGL.

(Please note that this number are at close range and without head mesh that reduces pixel draw count, these numbers are worst case figures for the overall technic.)

The code is here :

https://github.com/vlj/YAGF/blob/master/examples/TressFX/shaders/Hair.frag

The first pass basically takes less than 0.1 s to execute if I do not StoreFragments_Hair so I'm guessing my perf issue are tied to how I'm doing the per pixel list recording.

I have no idea why my code is that much slower than DX11 one, I mapped all DX11 call to their GL 4.3 counterpart, ie an ssbo for structured buffer, and an image for RWImage.

I use an atomic counter object buffer too for pixel id increment.

I monitored my app with GPU Perf Studio 2 but unfortunatly it doesnt give any useful information as I didn't find counter related to image, ssbo or atomics.

It only tells me that PAStalledOnRasteriser percentage is high (96%), which is expectable since I'm sending a lot of primitives.

Regards,

Vincent Lejeune

0 Likes
2 Replies
gsellers
Staff

Hi,

Your shader looks fine. My guess is that we're hitting some kind of performance issue related to incrementing the atomic counter. If everything needed to run the sample is in the GitHub repo you linked to, we can grab the code and run it here. We'll do that next and get back to you.

Cheers,

Graham

Thanks for your feedback, I included source of all deps Inside the repo, it only requires CMake to generate the visual studio solution.
(which should be located in a subfolder inside YAGF/ folder, I usually put it in YAGF/bld)

0 Likes