Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

wdx04
Journeyman III

Unable to use D3XD11 FFT Functions with AMD GPU on Windows 8.1

Hi all,

I'm working on some image processing tasks using the C++ AMP FFT Library(C++ AMP FFT Library - Home).

The library works fine on Windows 7 x86/x64 operating systems but it fails to instantiate the fft_base object on Windows 8.1 x64.

The problem is, on Windows 8.1 x64, the D3DX11CreateFFT function always returns an E_OUTOFMEMORY error code, even for very small FFT sizes like 640x480.

I can reproduce this problem on both my laptop(equipped with HD8750M GPU) and my desktop machine(with either R9 285 or HD7970 installed).

Also, when I re-install the Windows 7 x86 or x64 operating systems on the same machine and run the same application, the problem does not exist.

I also run the same application on Windows 8.1 x64 machines with NVIDIA GPUs, the problem does not exist.

So I think it might be caused by a bug in the Windows 8.1 x64 version of Catalyst driver(14.10-14.12 versions).Could anyone please confirm this for me?

Thanks,

0 Likes
3 Replies
jtrudeau
Staff

Because you suspect a Catalyst issue, here's where to go.

If you have a driver compatibility or hardware issue, please head over to support.amd.com or the visit the AMD Support & Games Forums.

The specific thread for catalyst driver support is located at: AMD Support and Game Forums - Desktop Catalyst Drivers and Software.

If you have a reproducible case, you can file a defect report at www.amd.com/report.

You might consider creating an issue at the open source page for the C++ AMP FFT library. The fact that it works on 8.1 with NVIDIA hardware and not with AMD hardware implies a possible driver issue, but there could be "assumptions" within the library code that cause this problem.

Hope this helps.

0 Likes

Thank you for your advice. I'll create an issue at C++ AMP FFT library's issue page.

I have debugged into the library source code but found nothing wrong with it.

The root cause may resides in the D3DCSX utility library which provides these FFT functions.

0 Likes
internetvietnam
Journeyman III

Version window 8.1 is relatively new, configuration of this version was not compatible with some devices.

you should always update to the latest version of  window 8.1 or used window 8.

0 Likes