Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

vlj
Journeyman III

Public Mantle SDK ?

Hi,

I'm working on an open source game so I can't really get an access to private Mantle SDK for registered developer (I already tried).

There was an announcement from Richard Hudy that Mantle SDK would be made public somewhere in december 2014, yet the sdk page still ask for a registration.

Is there any update about Mantle SDK availability for everyone ?

Regards,

Vincent

0 Likes
1 Solution

All,

Bob Hallock (here at AMD) has given a public interview that discusses, among other things, Mantle.

The Big Interview: AMD’s Robert Hallock On Mantle, DirectX 12, PS4/Xbox One, Free-Sync And More « Ga...

That is the best public answer I can provide at this time. Like Bob says, "We will share more on the future of Mantle in the coming months. We’re very excited about what lies ahead."

View solution in original post

0 Likes
9 Replies
jtrudeau
Staff

Thanks for the question. I definitely understand the interest. I have passed this on to the stakeholders.

... As above but for HPC...  It's good to see you hiring for the OpenCL team.    The other guys have been winning with drivers and intel doesn't make its assembly a secret.    If Mantle is AMD's answer to Cuda then get past the Gamer mentality.   The Firepro should be in competition with the Tesla in supercomputing and we should be able to find uncrippled fp64 cards at the hobbyist level.   Knight's Corner is essentially being given away to build a community.     SDK's to commercial games development misses the point.   If you want a critical mass of development on the platform you need to get the hardware and api's into developers hands.    .... Please.    

0 Likes

Robert Fontaine: Thank you for the feedback! I'm passing your note to someone on the FirePro team who is very interested in HPC.

0 Likes

robertfontaine wrote:

... As above but for HPC...  It's good to see you hiring for the OpenCL team.    The other guys have been winning with drivers and intel doesn't make its assembly a secret.    If Mantle is AMD's answer to Cuda then get past the Gamer mentality.   The Firepro should be in competition with the Tesla in supercomputing and we should be able to find uncrippled fp64 cards at the hobbyist level.   Knight's Corner is essentially being given away to build a community.     SDK's to commercial games development misses the point.   If you want a critical mass of development on the platform you need to get the hardware and api's into developers hands.    .... Please.   

How do you fathom Mantle [a low level API for Graphics processing] is an answer to CUDA? CUDA's competitor is OpenCL. Mantle is an answer to fixing the areas where OpenGL is a bottleneck, thus the adaptation of OpenGL Next being grafted from Mantle.

0 Likes

For efficient HPC, graphics cards do one thing very well.  Vector Math.

For large regression sets the better implemented the vector sets are and the better managed the memory is the better the result will be.

Cuda is an chip centric implementation for NVidias graphics cards that gets the most out of their cards.   Cuda -> PTX -> unpublished ML -> Card

Cuda is a not terribly low level API for Graphics processing..

The tools that NVidia have invested in to sit on top of if FFT libraries, BLAS, dnn are just that tools.

OpenCL is an open standard that is designed by a committee and is not AMD's answer to Cuda.   I wish OpenCL was ubiquitous but it isn't.

Mantle has the ability to organize around structures that are natural to the architecture of the AMD processor environment to make optimization easier for it's compilers.

AMD is a bit of a dark horse in the race... Intel plus Intel Mic // IBM Open plus Nvidia Tesla // AMD Opteron plus ?? //

The cards in AMD's suite all have display ports attached to them and the FirePros are clearly targeted at Rendering.

Some development cards with silicon that balanced fp32 and fp64 and a strongly supported API in combination with tool ecosystem investment could make AMD fun again.

The megawatts installations aren't going to jump on 500watt cards but in the workstation compute or small cluster arena it could get a toehold.

0 Likes

Hi, any news about a public, or at least a more open, Mantle SDK access? I was able to get the DX12 EAP as single individual, however Mantle SDK is still in closed beta and for software house companies only.... Or is all frozen due the possible Mantle adoption by the OpenGL ARB?

0 Likes

All,

Bob Hallock (here at AMD) has given a public interview that discusses, among other things, Mantle.

The Big Interview: AMD’s Robert Hallock On Mantle, DirectX 12, PS4/Xbox One, Free-Sync And More « Ga...

That is the best public answer I can provide at this time. Like Bob says, "We will share more on the future of Mantle in the coming months. We’re very excited about what lies ahead."

0 Likes

Thank for the feedback

0 Likes
jtrudeau
Staff

More data: Robert Hallock just posted a blog on Mantle and gaming APIs.

AMD Gaming: On APIs and the future of Mantle | AMD Blogs