cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

marshalcraft
Journeyman III

How to implement ADL_SDK's ADL_Display_ReadAndWriteI2C() function or api call?

Hello,

I am trying to access a device at i2c address 0011110 and I would like to use ADL_SDK's ADL_Display_ReadAndWriteI2c() to do so. I can see that it takes in a iAdapterIndex and an ADLI2C typdef struct pointer. I have successfully compiled on of the sample c programs that adjusts the brightness of the display and it seems to work great. I have altered the code slightly and removed parts to try and implement the i2c functionality instead. it compiles with no errors however the i2c function mentioned above returns -3 code which means that incorrect perameters were fed to it. I got the iAdapterIndex from adapterinfo.iAdapterIndex in much the same way as the sample code. so I believe that at least one of the adapterindexes should be correct. Because of this I am leaning toward the idea the the error is in my ADLI2C data structure or the pointer I am passing. I do not know what I have to do to really initialize this structure and if anyone could help it would be great. I am thinking I need to use malloc like in sample code, however another asker claims to have done this but gets an error of -1. This is my code thus far if anyone could help I would much appreciate it. c is not my native language and I have spent months on this and really this is only a small foot step on what I am ultimately trying to do. Getting caught up on these small things is really time consuming and if anyone can help I can finally make some progress. This is what I have written thus far, basically it is slimed down version of sample code that came with the adl_sdl and adapted more to what I'm trying to do.

typedef int(*ADL_MAIN_CONTROL_CREATE)(ADL_MAIN_MALLOC_CALLBACK, int);

typedef int(*ADL_MAIN_CONTROL_DESTROY)();

typedef int(*ADL_ADAPTER_NUMBEROFADAPTERS_GET) (int*);

typedef int(*ADL_ADAPTER_ADAPTERINFO_GET) (LPAdapterInfo, int);

typedef int(*ADL_DISPLAY_WRITEANDREADI2C)( int, ADLI2C *);

//***********************Memory allocation function********************************************

void* __stdcall ADL_Main_Memory_Alloc(int iSize)

{

void* lpBuffer = malloc(iSize);

return lpBuffer;

}

//*************************Optional Memory de-allocation function******************************

void __stdcall ADL_Main_Memory_Free(void** lpBuffer)

{

if (NULL != *lpBuffer)

{

free(*lpBuffer);

*lpBuffer = NULL;

}

}

//*********************************MAIN********************************************************

int main(int c, char* k[], char* s[])

{

HINSTANCE hDLL;             // Handle to DL

ADL_MAIN_CONTROL_CREATE          ADL_Main_Control_Create;

ADL_MAIN_CONTROL_DESTROY         ADL_Main_Control_Destroy;

ADL_ADAPTER_NUMBEROFADAPTERS_GET ADL_Adapter_NumberOfAdapters_Get;

ADL_ADAPTER_ADAPTERINFO_GET      ADL_Adapter_AdapterInfo_Get;

ADL_DISPLAY_WRITEANDREADI2C ADL_Display_WriteAndReadI2C;

LPAdapterInfo     lpAdapterInfo = NULL;

LPADLDisplayInfo  lpAdlDisplayInfo = NULL;

int  i;

int  iNumberAdapters;

int  iAdapterIndex;

int  iDisplayIndex;

int  iNumDisplays;

//**********************************LOAD THE DLL***********************************************

hDLL = LoadLibrary("atiadlxx.dll");

if (hDLL == NULL)

// A 32 bit calling application on 64 bit OS will fail to LoadLIbrary.

// Try to load the 32 bit library (atiadlxy.dll) instead

hDLL = LoadLibrary("atiadlxy.dll");

if (NULL == hDLL)

{

printf("ADL library not found!\n");

return 0;

}

//********************************************************************************************

ADL_Main_Control_Create = (ADL_MAIN_CONTROL_CREATE)GetProcAddress(hDLL, "ADL_Main_Control_Create");

ADL_Main_Control_Destroy = (ADL_MAIN_CONTROL_DESTROY)GetProcAddress(hDLL, "ADL_Main_Control_Destroy");

ADL_Adapter_NumberOfAdapters_Get = (ADL_ADAPTER_NUMBEROFADAPTERS_GET)GetProcAddress(hDLL, "ADL_Adapter_NumberOfAdapters_Get");

ADL_Adapter_AdapterInfo_Get = (ADL_ADAPTER_ADAPTERINFO_GET)GetProcAddress(hDLL, "ADL_Adapter_AdapterInfo_Get");

ADL_Display_WriteAndReadI2C = (ADL_DISPLAY_WRITEANDREADI2C)GetProcAddress(hDLL, "ADL_Display_WriteAndReadI2C");

//*********************************************Load the DLL functions************************

if(NULL == ADL_Main_Control_Create ||

NULL == ADL_Main_Control_Destroy ||

NULL == ADL_Adapter_NumberOfAdapters_Get ||

NULL == ADL_Adapter_AdapterInfo_Get ||

NULL == ADL_Display_WriteAndReadI2C )

{

printf("ADL's API is missing!\n");

}

//************************************Initialize the ADL*************************************

if (ADL_OK != ADL_Main_Control_Create(ADL_Main_Memory_Alloc, 1))

{

printf("ADL Initialization Error!\n");

return 0;

}

//************************************Find Number of Adapters********************************

if (ADL_OK != ADL_Adapter_NumberOfAdapters_Get(&iNumberAdapters))

{

printf("Cannot get the number of adapters!\n");

return 0;

}

if (0 < iNumberAdapters)

{

lpAdapterInfo = malloc(sizeof(AdapterInfo) * iNumberAdapters);

memset(lpAdapterInfo, '\0', sizeof(AdapterInfo) * iNumberAdapters);

// Get the AdapterInfo structure for all adapters in the system

ADL_Adapter_AdapterInfo_Get(lpAdapterInfo, sizeof(AdapterInfo) * iNumberAdapters);

}

//*************************************Repeat for all adapters*******************************

for (i = 0; i < iNumberAdapters; i++)

{

//************************ here we test the values for iLine cause we dont know what they should be***

ADLI2C *first;

ADLI2C STUPID;

first = &STUPID;

first -> iAddress = 60;

first -> iOffset = 0;

first -> iAction = 1;

//first -> iSpeed = 400;

//first -> iDataSize = 4;

//first -> iSize = 32;

//first -> iLine = 3;

first -> pcData = 256;

printf("%d", sizeof(first -> pcData));

//****************************************************************************************************

iAdapterIndex = lpAdapterInfo.iAdapterIndex;

printf("made it this far %d", i);

if(ADL_OK == ADL_Display_WriteAndReadI2C(iAdapterIndex, first))

{

printf("IT SEEMS TO HAVE WORKED?");

}

}

return 0;

}

0 Likes
1 Reply
marshalcraft
Journeyman III

it seems the problem has to be with the values of the ADLI2C struct members. there is the slight possibility that their are multiple uses of the name iAdapterIndex but i dont think that this is the problem. so i think its the struct members for which there isnt really documentation about them or it is an issue with the dll or driver it calls or possibly windows operating system or finaly maybe the hardware. right now i think it is likely the struct members. i know 7 of them are ints so i can just use for loops to probe through all possible values for them, but the possible combinations is large. also i believe some might have unpredictable outcomes or cause crash of the program so that it can not move on to next value. then there is the pcdata field which is also ambiguous. this is the data to actually write or where to store the result of a read, so if one single read or write it should be 8bit value. but what if multiple successive reads or writes? hope someone can please point me in the right direction. also i have altered the code and the method it gets the ADLI2C struct pointer so that now it returns a -1 which is an generic error or most likely dll internal error, what ever that means.

0 Likes