cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

acaloiaro
Adept I

clinfo reporting no GPU on AMD A10-7850K after Catalyst driver upgrade to 14.501.1003

I've installed the Catalyst driver (fglrx-14.501.1003) using the Recommended mode and custom build mode in the generic Linux 32/64-bit installer on Ubuntu 14.04.1. The fglrx driver loads at boot, but clinfo only reports the CPU as present. Any suggestions?

Output from clinfo, dmesg, lspci, and "strace clinfo" here: AMD Catalyst Driver Problems (Github Gist)

0 Likes
1 Solution
acaloiaro
Adept I

Perhaps it is because this is a headless system, but the solution was to uninstall the "fglrx" package and install just the "Non-X Support" Ubuntu 64-bit fglrx-core DEB package from the Catalyst driver download page: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Ubuntu+x86+64

1. apt-get remove fglrx
  2. dpkg -i fglrx-core_14.501-0ubuntu1_amd64_UB_14.01.deb
  3. Reboot

Note: This could mean that either my custom build from the generic Linux 32/64-bit installer was bad or that a headless system simply should not have the "fglrx" ( Video Driver For Graphics Accelerators ) package installed. I will leave that determination up to AMD as there is sufficient information in this thread to reconstitute my environment and test the problem. Cheers.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
12 Replies
bsp2020
Challenger

May be this thread will help.

AMD APP SDK 3.0 Beta now Available

The second reply has some info about linux setup.

0 Likes

Thanks for the response, but tqian's scenario in that thread did not hold true for me.

0 Likes
acaloiaro
Adept I

FYI this system is headless. Does the Catalyst driver still have issues with headless systems? Lightdm is running and X is on display 0.

0 Likes

Catalyst driver still does have issues with headless systems till 14.9. I haven't got the chance to test 14.12 yet. Have you tried the purge then reinstall method @acekiller mentioned below?

My complaint in the other thread was limited to get APP SDK's driver to work on CPUs. I don't think you technically need APP SDK for GPUs to work.

0 Likes

I have purged all the fglrx packages, but it did not resolve the issue. I'm waiting to hear back from acekiller regarding which packages were purged.

0 Likes
acekiller
Adept I

I am not sure whether this can help, but I also came across this case yesterday when I tried to install SDK 3.0 with Omega driver. I can only find CPU at first. No matter how I reinstall the SDK or the driver again and again.

I finally find that this is because I didn't uninstall the previous driver completely (which means, I though I have uninstalled because I already used some commands to do that, but actually I should use apt-get purge command to remove them because I install them with apt-get install). After that, I reinstall the driver, then SDK. Everything is OK.

My Ubuntu is 14.10. FYI.

0 Likes

Can you list which packages you purged? I've purged fglrx, fglrx-core, fglrx-amdcccle, and fglrx-dev.

0 Likes

Hmmm. I did reply to the email, but I don't see  my response here 😞

I have pretty much the same setup with you. Ubuntu 14.04, omega catalyst, SDK 2.9-1. My card is a bit different, curacao R9 270. I can see both CPU and GPU in clinfo. What is your SDK?

We also have the same logs. The only difference in line 16 of your dmesg: fglrx enable the IOMMUv2 support, which i don't have and is not critical.

Plz email me your strace to diff it with mine, i cannot go through it over the web 😞

I see 2 possible obvious issues:

1) Reinstall catalyst then SDK. Careful when removing old catalyst drivers, you don't want to end up with no video (you may have to un-blacklist radeon open source driver).

2) Your SDK doesn't support your card.

If those don't fix it, we might need to delve deeper 😞

0 Likes

Hi Nibal,

1. I've purged the fglrx-* packages using "apt-get purge" and re-installed from a clean slate.

2. I'm using V 3.0 of the SDK. This is a Kaveri APU and should be well supported by the SDK.

My strace output is accessible in raw form here: https://gist.githubusercontent.com/acaloiaro/a265e70b2cbbd589cd3b/raw/e1a789da4835bd7b4d11522eca1160...

AC

0 Likes

Sorry, I need the strace in a text file attachment so that i can diff it. I

cannot do it with an HTML page

Bear in mind that I use SDK 2-9-1, so strace is bound to be different. I

just hope to get smt meaningful out of it;-)

There is a good chance that SDK 3.0 doesn't support your video card. It is

still beta...

Nikos

0 Likes

I was actually able to get the text file from your URL.

First thing I notice is that my clinfo (2.9-1) loads both 32bit and 64bit libraries, whereas yours (3.0) loads only 64bit ones. But that is OK, since your clinfo doesn't ask them. It seems it is pure 64bit 😉

But from what I see your clinfo doesn't recognize your card.

It goes over all of your 15 ati devices, recognizes only 1 card at /dev/ati0, but doesn't understand it. Even checks your /etc/ati/ files for help that never arrives. It then loops another 2x (total 3) over your ati devices, and then abruptly ends.

Mine, stops at the first card it finds (no /etc/ati configuration checking) and proceeds to setup X11 and libGL on it.

My card is Curacao Pro R9 270 (Sapphire). I would suggest rolling back to SDK2.9-1 and let us know if you can see your card.

PS. There is an attach button in the web form, that you can use ;-). I have attached your strace open calls from the first ati open till the end.

HTH,

Nikos

0 Likes
acaloiaro
Adept I

Perhaps it is because this is a headless system, but the solution was to uninstall the "fglrx" package and install just the "Non-X Support" Ubuntu 64-bit fglrx-core DEB package from the Catalyst driver download page: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Ubuntu+x86+64

1. apt-get remove fglrx
  2. dpkg -i fglrx-core_14.501-0ubuntu1_amd64_UB_14.01.deb
  3. Reboot

Note: This could mean that either my custom build from the generic Linux 32/64-bit installer was bad or that a headless system simply should not have the "fglrx" ( Video Driver For Graphics Accelerators ) package installed. I will leave that determination up to AMD as there is sufficient information in this thread to reconstitute my environment and test the problem. Cheers.

0 Likes