Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

himanshu_gautam
Grandmaster

Suggest Feature you want in AMD APP

Suggest Feature you want in AMD APP

Hi EveryBody,

I was preparing a top feature requests for the AMD's openCL implementation. I will be looking to as many old forum topics as i can. But there can always be fresh inputs from you so I have created this thread.

It would be nice if you also mention some key advantages of that feature. Obviously we cannot guarantee that every request will be fulfilled in SDK 2.4. But the important requests will be added to the roadmap of SDK and most probably implemented at some point of time AMD considers appropriate as per time lines and priorities.

I hope you willl grow it feircely.

Edit: Made post sticky.

0 Likes
167 Replies

Oh, please, please let this happen. As well as a nice, complete document detailing syntax and such for GCN ASM.

Meteorhead
Challenger

I would like to yet again state that X-less drivers have been asked for for the past 3 years, practically since the first beta OpenCL SDK. Root user being X-less is not enough.

I really hope by the time Ubuntu hits 14.04 Server LTS, I can install that and finally forget about the desktop variant in an HPC cluster.

Thanks for the tip. Nice article. Tried out on Ubuntu Server 13.10 from a pendrive on my laptop and worked like a charm. (Apart from conflicting with the Ubuntu repo opencv installation, which depends on nvidia-319-updates that installs half of an OpenCL runtime, which effectively kills all OpenCL apps)

I hope this fix gets incorporated into the next driver and I won't have to make these changes by hand on every driver release.

0 Likes

that is a bug in package dependencies. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/opencv/+bug/1245260 just install ocl-icd-libopencl1 before installing a libopencv-dev and you should be fine.

0 Likes
sourcery
Journeyman III

Posters have already suggested faster kernel launch, have an alternative suggestion that would work for me.

Launch a kernel that stays resident in the GPU,

a) Kernel waits for a change in a specified global memory block (to be loaded by CPU)

b) Kernel processes that global memory block then write a results global memory block.(to be read by the CPU)

c) loop back to a)

I am an Opencl novice but cant see a way to do the above with synchronisation or without putting the CPU and

and GPU in a loop, which would waste processing time in both.

The proposed pipes for Opencl V2..0 would work if they were between the CPU and GPU,

get the impression they will only be between GPU kernels though.

0 Likes
joej
Adept I

1. Async compute (execute different kernels simultaneously)

2. Smaller latencies for small data transfers and / or compute simultaneously

3. Make OpenCL 2.0 beta available to Win7 (8 makes me so angry)

The latencies are a big problem for game dev. I'm working on real time GI and multiple times per frame i have situations like:

Rebuild a tree - only one workgroup is busy at the top level - the rest of the gpu is bored.

Please let us know what will change about that and when.

Also let me know if Mantle will offer a compute alternative that may be better suited for the <16ms problem.

Keep up good work! R9280x is more than two times faster than GTX Titan on my algorithms, Yeah!

0 Likes