cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

jtrudeau
Staff

List of platforms supported by OpenCL 2.0 driver

We have updated the list of AMD products supported by the early release of the OpenCL 2.0 driver. You can find that list here:

The original page listed supported product families, but in some cases particular items within the family were not supported. Ouch.

We were alerted to the problem by a couple of people here on the forum, in this thread: http://devgurus.amd.com/thread/169453

This should be fixed now. That improvement was driven by your feedback, which is why I am a real believer in forums. We will never know how much pain was saved for your colleagues going forward, but we know the world is an ever so slightly better place. Somewhere a unicorn is smiling. So thanks for helping someone else, and apologies for the confusion caused by the first version.

0 Likes
16 Replies
moozoo
Adept III

Thank you for this list.

I have a few questions

Will AMD be supporting Fine Grain Shared Virtual Memory on existing or future graphics cards (perhaps only on AMD based motherboards)

Will Multi GPU support be added before release.

Does Shared Virtual Memory support bring anything to Multiple GPU use? Can multiple cards share the same piece of shared virtual memory and how would that work?

Does the opencl 2.0 driver fully support 64 bit pointers/address space. I know there is a environment variable to enable this, but I believe at present its use is not fully supported.

I think 32 bit windows applications should use the 32 bit mode and 64 bit windows application the 64 bit mode

It appears that Intel will have full OpenCL 2.0 support in broadwell and this will include Share Virtual memory (and perhaps fp64 support).

Will there be a distinct advantage in buying an AMD based system because of the single OpenCL 2.0 driver servicing both the AMD APU and AMD graphics card.

Intel doesn't make graphics cards, and Nvidia has no support for OpenCL 2.0.

0 Likes

MIchael, I have some answers I can share.

Will AMD be supporting Fine Grain Shared Virtual Memory on existing or future graphics cards (perhaps only on AMD based motherboards)

This is not a core feature of OpenCL 2.0, and initially we support core features. This is in our roadmap, but obviously I can't make a promise that it will or will not appear at any given time.

Will Multi GPU support be added before release.

It is supported in the planned release.

Does Shared Virtual Memory support bring anything to Multiple GPU use? Can multiple cards share the same piece of shared virtual memory and how would that work?

A coarse-grained SVM buffer can be used by multiple GPUs. Keep in mind that memory consistency of coarsed-grained SVM is guaranteed only at synchronization points (e.g. end of a kernel).  For example, a kernel may not see updates performed by another concurrently running kernel.

Does the opencl 2.0 driver fully support 64 bit pointers/address space.

It only supports 64-bit initially. Like fine-grain SVM it's in the roadmap, but that doesn't mean it will get done.

Will there be a distinct advantage in buying an AMD based system because of the single OpenCL 2.0 driver servicing both the AMD APU and AMD graphics card. Intel doesn't make graphics cards, and Nvidia has no support for OpenCL 2.0.

Perhaps this: On AMD you will be able to share the same SVM buffer between the APU and dGPU. Data structures defined in OpenCL are specific to a context and platform. Sharing OpenCL data structures between different platforms is not supported. While the full package is not released yet, we do have some sneak peek example code available demonstrating SVM here.

Hope this helps

0 Likes
craft_coder
Adept II

Any plans to offer support on other models, or do hardware limitations of older GPUs (I have a HD 7870) prevent this?

I was hoping to wait for the next process shrink (20 nm?), before upgrading.

0 Likes

Correct. The list of supported platforms are those capable of handling the requirements of OpenCL 2.0. So there are no plans to add older models to the list.

0 Likes

On the OCL2.0 driver page, only AMD FirePro™ W5100 and W2100 from FirePro family are listed. Does this mean that high end FirePro will not support OCL2.0? Or does it just mean that the driver on that download page will work with those two FirePro card and high end FirePro card needs different driver for OCL2.0 support.

0 Likes

Yes, this driver only supports 5100 and 2100, but future drivers will support recent W and S series FirePro cards such as 9100, 9150, 8100, etc.

0 Likes

Thanks.  I'm instead looking at upgrading my dev box to a A10-7850K.  On the other hand, the R9 285 looks like a significant upgrade from my HD 7870 and is hopefully a bit future proof (claims to implement GCN 1.2).

Speaking of which, which GCN rev does the A10-7850K implement?  I haven't seen that listed anywhere.

0 Likes
aiv
Journeyman III

QUESTION:

Does OpenCL driver support A10-7800 APU ?

Thanks!

0 Likes

I can see why you're confused.  It's not listed in the link from his post, but it seems like just an under-clocked A10-8750K.  From what I can tell, it even has the same number of compute units and shaders.  I'd be very surprised if it wasn't supported, but it would be nice to have the official word on that.

BTW, I'm guessing these APUs are GCN version 1.1, to answer my own question.

I wish I could just buy a PS4, put Linux on it, and use that as an OpenCL dev platform.  But I don't see Sony going back back down the OtherOS path, again.  I'm guessing it'll be years before AMD releases an APU with that much memory bandwidth and GPU horsepower.

0 Likes

>> I can see why you're confused.  It's not listed in the link from his post, but it seems like just an under-clocked A10-8750K.

Indeed, that is puzzling.

Apparently after installation of the driver I see the following output of clinfo:

Number of platforms:                       1
  Platform Profile:                        FULL_PROFILE
  Platform Version:                        OpenCL 2.0 AMD-APP (1598.5)
  Platform Name:                           AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing
  Platform Vendor:                         Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
  Platform Extensions:                     cl_khr_icd cl_amd_event_callback cl_amd_offline_devices
  Platform Name:                           AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing
Number of devices:                         2                          
  Device Type:                             CL_DEVICE_TYPE_GPU         

Platform ID:                                   0x7f587e13d670                    
  Name:                                          Spectre                           
  Vendor:                                        Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.      
  Device OpenCL C version:                       OpenCL C 2.0                      
  Driver version:                                1598.5 (VM)

Device Type:                                   CL_DEVICE_TYPE_CPU

Platform ID:                             0x7f587e13d670 
  Name:                                    AMD A10-7800 Radeon R7, 12 Compute Cores 4C+8G
  Vendor:                                  AuthenticAMD                          
Device OpenCL C version:                 OpenCL C 1.2                          
  Driver version:                          1598.5 (sse2,avx,fma4)                

I.e. "Device OpenCL C version" of the CPU is still "OpenCL 1.2"

0 Likes

Does OpenCL driver support A10-7800 APU ?

I'm told yes, it should. I'm looking into getting the web page updated to add this.

Speaking of which, which GCN rev does the A10-7850K implement?  I haven't seen that listed anywhere.

GCN 1.1.

In the feedback thread I started I got a request this morning for "overview on which CPUs/GPUs/APUs support which version of GCN/HSA/hUMA " so I'd say that's pretty timely. I'll see what we can do.

0 Likes
gc9
Adept III

The PRO APU numbers on the page AMD OpenCL 2.0 Driver ('AMD APU Product Family Compatibility")

("AMD A10 PRO-7850B", "AMD A8 PRO-7600B", "AMD A6 PRO-7400B", "AMD A4 PRO-7350B")

are all desktop parts as listed on page AMD A-Series APU Processors (specs tab).

1. Strangely, none the three current low-wattage PRO Kaveri model numbers

("AMD PRO A10-7350B", "AMD PRO A8-7150B", "AMD PRO A6-7050B")

on the page AMD APUs for Laptops (specs tab) appear in the compatibility list,

but current non-PRO Kaveri lower-wattage models ("AMD A10-7300", "AMD A8-7100") are listed. 

Are the laptop PRO Kaveri APUs simply untested, or truly less capable?

2. Suggestion: To help reduce confusion for readers of the APU compatibility list,

separate the higher wattage desktop APU models from the lower wattage laptop/all-in-one APU models

as AMD does elsewhere on its site.  Some of the desktop parts have similar model numbers to the laptop parts

and may be easily confused, causing problems if only one is compatible.

0 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll pass that on to the folks who created the list. I don't immediately know about the low power Kaveri parts, but I suspect those should be on the list. Stay tuned. I'll get an update, and let you all know if/when it changes.

0 Likes
rcgoodfellow
Journeyman III

Hi,

We have a small research cluster that utilizes Radeon HD 7970 GHZ edition GPUs and would really like to utilize OpenCL 2.0. Are there plans to include OpenCL 2.0 functionality for these devices?

fwiw I have tried installing the OpenCL 2.0 driver just to see what clinfo says, and indeed it still shows the device opencl version as 1.2.

Thanks

~ ry

0 Likes

To the extent Wikipedia can be trusted and that OpenCL 2.0 really depends on >= GCN 1.1, it looks like you're out of luck.

List of AMD graphics processing units (Wikipedia)

I'm not happy about it, either, but remember that this is an evolving area of technology, and even the GHz Edition 7970 is already 2.5 years old.

I'd imagine we can expect the x86-64 CPU device to support OpenCL 2.0, however.  If so, you could at least utilize your multi-core CPUs for development & experimentation.

Hi,

could AMD OpenCL 2.0 Driver be updated so that it shows which devices have OpenCL 2.0 support? I spent some time trying to use OpenCL 2.0 on a R9 280x until I figured out that the only supported desktop GPUs are R9 290(x).

-- NaN

0 Likes